Alaskan Coastal Bear Hunts. . .any recommendations?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

offshore

Alaskan Coastal Bear Hunts. . .any recommendations?

Post by offshore »

I have been kicking around the idea of going on one of those coastal black bear hunts where you stay on a live-aboard vessel cruising the coast line and then deploy skiffs to go ashore to spot-n-stalk the bears. It seems like it would make for a great time. . .eating crabs and shrimp and hunting large coastal bears. I have looked at several places on line, but I was wondering if any forum members have done this that have first hand knowledge and could make a good recommendation of an outfitter. Also if anyone has ever done a combo bear/deer hunt the same way. Thanks for your help.
paulaboutform

Re: Alaskan Coastal Bear Hunts. . .any recommendations?

Post by paulaboutform »

I haven't done this myself but have hunted a lot of coastal bears living on the coast of B.C.. All I can suggest is that you make sure the outfitter is a member in good standing with the G.O.A.B.C. if you'll be in B.C. or the equivalent governing body for Alaska. Also, make sure you ask what their shot percentage is for archery if you plan on using your crossbow and ask for a list of references of both successful and unsuccessful hunters. A reputable outfitter should be able to provide all this. Good luck.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
offshore

Post by offshore »

paulaboutform wrote:I haven't done this myself but have hunted a lot of coastal bears living on the coast of B.C.. All I can suggest is that you make sure the outfitter is a member in good standing with the G.O.A.B.C. if you'll be in B.C. or the equivalent governing body for Alaska. Also, make sure you ask what their shot percentage is for archery if you plan on using your crossbow and ask for a list of references of both successful and unsuccessful hunters. A reputable outfitter should be able to provide all this. Good luck.

Thank you for the tip. Most of what I've looked in to has been in the Prince William Sound area, does that fall in the area of G.O.A.B.C? And does that organization offer a list of outfitters to contact?
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

The entire province of British Columbia is covered by the GOABC.Guide Outfitters Association of British Columbia. You can look them up and they'll have a list of outfitters for the area you want to hunt. Good luck.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Take along some you trust to watch your back
as you will be hunting something that will hunt you back :shock:
Tenpoint Matrix