Wait em out > VixChix scores !

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

R.J.

Wait em out > VixChix scores !

Post by R.J. »

When I read Vix's last post re: Farmer spreading manure while she was out hunting turkeys .. I had to chuckle ! :lol:

I was tagged out but had a property scoped that was still holding birds , so I invited Vix out for a hunt ... Vix is always good company and in the best of moods during any hunt ( harvest or not ) and I'm always looking for a photo opportunity >> besides , I had a good feeling about this place .

The birds are well educated to hunters and real spooky because they are hunted hard between two farms ... They proved to be a test today for sure !

Vix had birds gobbling right from set up at 5:00am ... The boss tom was toying around and behind her but wouldn't clear for a shot .

There were multiple birds around > hens / jakes , so she had fun all morning with the calls and waited them out till about 11am ..

I'm watching from about 465 yards away , when I see two bird in the opening ... she text me " two jakes " ... I text back " tastey jakes ! smoke one " !

About 5 mins later > Boom > End Game !

This was the Tom that was up top along the field my truck was parked at ... we saw him and some others at the river flats on the way ouy !

No way Vix was pulling him away from the hen in tow ...

This was the blind set up at a funnel point between two farms ...

This was the view from the blind when the two jakes showed up ...

Soon after the bigger of the two fell to a well placed swarm of # 6 shot !

Big Congrat's Moni ! >> A fun and successfull turkey hunt for sure ! ( sorry for the blurry pictures , I didn't realize how dirty my cameras were till I got home :oops: ) ... but then again > raw field shots are the best in my book !

Good Luck to all that are still chasing turkeys ! ... Only a few days left in our Ontario season !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
awshucks

Re: Wait em out > VixChix scores !

Post by awshucks »

Congrats, Vix!!!
"Eze 18:21"
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats VixChix
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Starvin' Hillbilly

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

Good Job! . . . A better story when you gotta work yer tail off to get one :lol:
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Persistence pays off . :)
It definitely has been a strange year with the hens sticking with the toms until late . :?
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

Congrats!!!! That's a great looking bird!!!! :D
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Nice shootin Moni! Congrats. :D
Hank
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

way to go congrates nice bird DUTCH :wink:
addicted to canadian beaver
roly

Post by roly »

Congrats Moni, good job!!
WalknTall

Post by WalknTall »

Congrats Vix!
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much", John Wayne
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Yippy, congrats! Glad you kept after it. :D
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....congrats VixChix!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

What a great day to be out! Thank you so much Rick for taking the time and for sharing your hunting properties!

As Rick said there were gobbles before 5 a.m. The bird moved back and forth but didn't show himself. After a few hours I thought he was going to commit and come on in... he was getting closer by the gobble!

Suddenly there were 3 hens in the woods with him each trying to out-call the other. I tried my best to cut them all off but it was tough to keep up. :lol: Finally two hens gave up and headed out of the woods away across a field. <whew>

Movement in the deadfall in the bush next to me - hoping to finally see the tom, but instead found the 3rd hen at 15 yards right between where the gobbler last sounded off and my decoys. The hen led the gobbler away and that game was over. :evil:

After some peace & quiet two jakes slipped by the opening to a field in front of me. I took some photos and was feeling pretty sure they'd come in closer. However, at 40 yards they headed back out and slipped around into the woods. ARGH.

Now that I had taken the photos I knew I'd have to try to shoot one - otherwise I'd be hearing "Why didn't you shoot it?" until deer season! :oops:

The larger of the two jakes hung up in the woods staring at my decoys - I could see his head & neck,the rest obscured by trees and deadfall. I had a window of visibility through the bush so I let the 870 seal the deal.
-------------------------
I've had the privilege to hunt with a several forum members this season. Each one is a treat to hunt with. The one thing they all have in common is that they JUST LOVE BEING OUT. It's refreshing just to be around people like that!

With Rick there's also that wonderful element of a photographer's eye to go with the love of all things wild. He's always looking at his surroundings and seeing beauty and uniqueness. He doesn't just walk or drive through the countryside - he absorbs it.

I really appreciate the generosity of the people who have shared their hunting spots with Tim & me over the years. I have been blessed by memorable hunts, successes, close calls, and above all the friendships!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Stinky Buffalo

Post by Stinky Buffalo »

So Awesome! Well done, Sis!

Your nephews and niece are going to be sooo jealous... :mrgreen:
RexKay

Post by RexKay »

Congrats!! Great job!
I like things with strings.....
4 Guitars
8 Excals