Rookie lesson in stirrup foot hold

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mike w

Rookie lesson in stirrup foot hold

Post by mike w »

Good god! Yup, you really want to ensure that your foot hold on that stirrup is sound and true! Shot this new Xbow close to 100 times now (getting better each time) Now, free hand shots between 25 and 30 yards are a given harvest (which is a HUGE improvement since I've moved off of shooting from the rest).

HOWEVER!!!! I was getting so excited because since I've move off the table I have only recently (yesterday) been able to drill the vitals at that modest range (for now). In that excitement I found myself RUSHING to get it loaded for the next shot. Well, foot slipped off in my haste and punched the hell out of what I have come to find out is my Xiphoid Process and accompanying Sternocostal Triangle. Guys, it felt like the lights were going out. Now I'm just sore as heck there, and it looks like I'll be real tender-like there for some time. Point is, for beginners like me, a firm foot hold on that Stirrup and good boot tred is pretty darn important. Be very deliberate in your mechanics when cocking the bow. They are not kidding when they tell us that this matters!!! :roll:
vixenmaster

Re: Rookie lesson in stirrup foot hold

Post by vixenmaster »

So very true, never be in haste to cock yer Excal it may bite :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
mike w

Post by mike w »

vixenmaster wrote:So very true, never be in haste to cock yer Excal it may bite :)
It sure does Vixen!!! :lol:
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I had a release for one of my verticals, a four finger number with adjustable tension screw, I punched myself in the mouth twice at 72# draw! It still hurts when I think about it. Sounds like you got a degree from the school of hard knocks too! :lol: :lol:
Glad you're OK!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Tom

Post by Tom »

When I was taught to load a crossbow, this was well back before Excalibur was made, they taught you to stand to the side of the stock just for that reason. If your foot slips, the stock comes up the side of your body, not into your rib cage. Back then the sturrips were not as large as they are today. I have heard of people breaking ribs, collapsing lungs and other things just because their foot slipped.

Yes it is very important to make sure your foot is in and secured before cocking.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Tom, I have tried this but for me it was awkward. Ok for up 175 lb. crossbow but after that I need it centered for cocking a 225 lb. bow.

Mine is an average boot size so it's easy to get my boot deep into the stirrup.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

I cock my Equinox with the CB on the outside of my right leg with my right foot in the stirrup. I try & do the same thing each time and also with the un-cock process. One time while in the tree stand I forgot to remove the BH on the un-cock process and lucky for me my son was close by and he climbed up and helped me remove the arrow before the BH went through my boot. Get in a rhythm and try and do the same thing each and every time.
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
Starvin' Hillbilly

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

THAT SH!@ HURTS! . . .make sure you're Xiphoid Process aint broke loose and floating round' . . . pending on yer age it ain't cartilage anymore, its sharp bone!
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
mike w

Post by mike w »

xcaliber wrote:I had a release for one of my verticals, a four finger number with adjustable tension screw, I punched myself in the mouth twice at 72# draw! It still hurts when I think about it. Sounds like you got a degree from the school of hard knocks too! :lol: :lol:
Glad you're OK!
That makes me feel better, thanks! It hurts as much as it humbles... Not a totally bad thing! :lol:
Last edited by mike w on Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mike w

Post by mike w »

. . .make sure you're Xiphoid Process aint broke loose and floating round' . . . pending on yer age it ain't cartilage anymore, its sharp bone![/q

I didn't think of that! Awesome... :( I think it's ok cause I've bee kind of messaging it in that area slightly to keep track of it all. Feels real tender but in tact. Thanks for the heads up though for sure, I'll keep an extra bit of attention to it now. I think my ego got just as bruised as my chest! :wink:
Last edited by mike w on Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

OUCH!! I had an eye-opener when I first started shooting my xbow, fortunately the stock just grazed my chin :shock: Do NOT wear sandals when you cock your crossbow! :lol:
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
mike w

Post by mike w »

Do NOT wear sandals when you cock your crossbow! :lol:[/quote]

You can add moccasins to the sandal list! :lol:
The Chief

Post by The Chief »

We need photos of the injury. Man be careful this is a deadly instrument just like a gun there are safety factors that must be followed. Never be in a rush as this is just carelessness and it will bite you as you see. Good luck and I bet you never do this again....
mike w

Post by mike w »

Never be in a rush as this is just carelessness and it will bite you as you see. Good luck and I bet you never do this again....

Agreed, and that is one bet you're sure to win! I wanted to shoot again today so bad but she's still a little squishy. May be a couple days. Felt much better though, can almost bend over again
jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

Tom wrote:When I was taught to load a crossbow, this was well back before Excalibur was made, they taught you to stand to the side of the stock just for that reason. If your foot slips, the stock comes up the side of your body, not into your rib cage. Back then the sturrips were not as large as they are today. I have heard of people breaking ribs, collapsing lungs and other things just because their foot slipped.

Yes it is very important to make sure your foot is in and secured before cocking.

Tom
Sound advice! This is how I ready do it...
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks