Broadhead in riser

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sullyy

Broadhead in riser

Post by sullyy »

Are there any issues with using shorter bolts where the broadhead would rest inside the riser opening? I've got a Matrix 355 and an older Exocet 175, and don't want to maintain two bolt lengths. If I use the 18 inchers, the broadheads I use sit right inside the riser on the Exocet. I've got about 1/4" clearance on the blades all around.

I'm going to shoot it a bunch and make sure it works, but wanted to know if there were any reasons this shouldn't be done.

Thanks!
Kegbelly

Re: Broadhead in riser

Post by Kegbelly »

I would make sure the 18" arrow is long enough to seat against the string properly when cocked and your broadhead still clears the riser on all sides, including the rear of the b'head. If that checks out I don't see why you couldn't shoot them. I've shot a handful of 20" arrows from my 380, but never have shot the 18" arrows from my Exo, so I can't say how well they would shoot or if there are any advantages or disadvantages to shooting them.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

And make sure you can't put your foot in the stirrup with an arrow nocked! You might uncock the bow, and push one into your foot!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I shoot a 17" arrow in my ibex and same arrow in my 355 with a slick trick mag they shoot good from inside the riser on the ibex and just outside on the 355
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

xcaliber wrote:And make sure you can't put your foot in the stirrup with an arrow nocked! You might uncock the bow, and push one into your foot!
I know someone who did that....back to his truck and uncocked a 3 blade tipped arrow right through his foot. Huge ordeal, surgery, the whole bit. I cringe at the mention of it.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....just broke into a cold sweat thinking of it happening!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Anthony
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

One of my friends almost did the same thing with his Equinox this year during Turkey season he was able to pull it up as it went through his boot into his foot. He was lucky he only had a little damage to his foot but nothing real bad
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
sullyy

Post by sullyy »

Thanks guys for the input. I had thought of the un-cocking thing as I know it does happen.

Maybe I'll just keep two bolt lengths :lol:
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

paulaboutform wrote:
xcaliber wrote:And make sure you can't put your foot in the stirrup with an arrow nocked! You might uncock the bow, and push one into your foot!
I know someone who did that....back to his truck and uncocked a 3 blade tipped arrow right through his foot. Huge ordeal, surgery, the whole bit. I cringe at the mention of it.
Seems like I have seen a picture on this forum of a boot that was "kissed" by a broadhead while uncocking. :lol: Does give you the willies to think about it doesnt.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

That would be an awful way to end a hunt!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
rej

Post by rej »

Half of my arrows are Firebolts cut to 18". I use them in a Vortex and they are fine.I Fletch them with 2" blazers and tipped with SlickTrick 175gr. crossbow magnum. They also shoot well with the NAP 125 gr. Hellrazor crossbow tip. Take care not to go under the 350 gr. arrow weight as per Excalibur. The Blazers with lots of helical do make a difference for repeatability.