More Arrow Basic 101

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vixenmaster

More Arrow Basic 101

Post by vixenmaster »

How many of you have seen yer arrow make whoopy de doo's in flite at 30 or 40 yds ? Oh yes some of you do jus admitt it. Reason the arrow is under spined! So in that case its more FOC or shorter arrow shafts to work wid or more pt wt. Jus sumpin to ponder in yer quest fer better arrow flite
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
xcaliber

Re: More Arrow Basic 101

Post by xcaliber »

X2! Great point.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....thanks Mike....these are the types of discussions that make this forum so great....again thanks.

Anthony :D
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Boo

Post by Boo »

vixenmaster wrote: Reason the arrow is under spined! So in that case its more FOC or shorter arrow shafts to work wid or more pt wt.
Mike, more point weight or increasing FOC will make an under spined shaft even softer.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Boo wrote:
vixenmaster wrote: Reason the arrow is under spined! So in that case its more FOC or shorter arrow shafts to work wid or more pt wt.
Mike, more point weight or increasing FOC will make an under spined shaft even softer.
shortening it wont
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Boo's right .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Yep, read this again. It is action / reaction where it is the heavier the weight being pushed creates a higher resistance in the weakest portion of the arrow. Like putting a rock on each end of a straw! The middle will flex. Gold Tip has an arrow university tab on their website, good reading!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I was shootin the GTII alum front insert this mornin out of Marie. The arrow is underspined fer her speed. Arrow is 20" in length 2" Blazers. Addin wt. up front will add a lil more FOC. I add more wt by pt or insert & the spine should increase, same as if'en you cut the length. If'em am wrong sorry fer bad info.
Half Bubble Off BD360

flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Guess I just don't get it, but how does hanging weight off front or back of arrow change spine? Shaft still flexes same.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Check out GT arrow university. If your arrow is under spined, or too long for the weight your pushing, the arrow will experience too much flex. The solutions are shorten arrow, reduce point weight, or increase spine. If you think about pushing too much weight with a pool stick, you get the idea.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Yup y'all be right i had it mixed up. Shorter length & goin to lighter pt will increase the spine. Anyway the arrow is under spined fer Marie or she shoots too fast fer Miss Vixen's arrows. I have 3 BEE's fixed up now 387-388gr total wt.
Half Bubble Off BD360

rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

It's not that you change the spine of the arrow. You change the way it behaves.
Adding weight to the point will make the arrow behave like it's weaker. Because the added weight doesn't want to move. A object at rest tends to want to remain at rest. The arrow flexes before the point moves.
Adding weight to the back stiffens the way the arrow acts. Just like adding weight to the front it wants to stay at rest. Because it's at the back it can't cause the arrow to flex. So it instead slows the bow or string down. Just the same as if you reduced the poundage. Giving you a stiffer spine.
Boo

Post by Boo »

The spine of the shaft remains the same. The arrow or assembly loses spine. Symantics.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I never gave the spine issue much thought . . .seemed like the short, thick, crossbow arrows would have trouble flexing . . .guess I just haven't added enough weight or shot it fast enough?

I have experienced a wobbly arrow, but, fixed it by fixing the broadhead. Usually it was a slightly bent blade or it wasn't on square . . .anyway, it was always a broadhead issue. I had one that the tip was cut off center, for example.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

The 22 series arrows had enough spine at 20 inches for the E series of bows.
The 22 series of arrows only have enough spine for the Matrix series of bows if they are shortened to 18 inches.
What helps is that the arrow sits in a groove for the full length of the arrow.
This way an arrow has support from end to end and the bow can forgive some of the lack in spine in the arrow.
That's why Excalibur recurve bows are so easy to set up.
Too much spine won't hurt performance out of an Excalibur but too little might.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"