Sighting in the matrix 380. PROBLEMS!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

JB2010

Sighting in the matrix 380. PROBLEMS!!

Post by JB2010 »

Ok. I got my new matrix 380 a little while back but haven't had time to shoot it or sight it in until recent. First off, the worst trigger on anything I've ever shot with a trigger by far!!! The guy at woodys said he polished it up, if he did, I would hate to have shot it before! I mean... Just awful!
So before I sighted it in I put on the hha optimizer and my nikon 3-9x40 scope, leveled the crosshairs, and put blue loctite on everything.
Arrows are factory Excalibur arrows with 100grain brass inserts and I was using 100grain field tips and lumenocks.
I took it out and shot it from a steady rest on a table and got it sighted in dead on at 20yds. I backed up to 60 as the directions stated with the optimizer and I got it adjusted to the right setting where it was hitting level but every arrow was hitting 2-3" wide left, every time. I zoomed in my scope from 3 power to 9 power and that changed everything. It made my arrows drop about 3"s.
I went back to 20 yards and got it shooting a little bit wide right but still in the bullseye and went back to 60 and nothing changed. There was no wind to mention. Anyone have a clue what I need to do? It's been too windy to sight it in the last 2 days but tomorrow should be better. I plan to try 125 grain tips instead of 100grain to see if it changes anything. I have until September 27 to get this thing right but I don't want to wait that long. Any help would be appreciated.
Matrix 380
Nikon 3-9x40 with HHA Optimizer.
Deluxe Munch Mount
FIREBOLTS W/BRASS INSERTS, LUMENOCKS
100gr GRIM REAPERS 1 3/4 cut
JB2010

Re: Sighting in the matrix 380. PROBLEMS!!

Post by JB2010 »

The trigger is like pushing a big truck over a hill. Very hard to get it started. Then there is the build right before the crest, then the back wheels have to reach the top and then, and then, and then... It goes. My old Exomax trigger was 150x better than this trigger. Enough about that though.
Matrix 380
Deluxe Munch Mount
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Sorry to hear about the trigger, that can sure affect accuracy.

That sounds sort of similar to what Paul (paulaboutform) had going on a while back, but in reverse... He was getting great groups at 90-plus yards but when he dropped down to shorter yardages the groups started spreading out. I think it was more or less decided it was a parallax thing with a riflescope shooting at short distances. IIRC his setup is similar to yours--a 380, HHA Optimizer, and a 3x9 riflescope. Might be something to look into.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... 34#p505008

BTW, I'm also in N. AL, maybe we could get together sometime and do a little shooting.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

Post by Excalibur Marketing Dude »

Are you making sure the hooks are tight against the rail before pulling the handles back to cock the crossbow? Any space can pull the string off center shooting arrows left and right. Try shooting just one arrow to confirm if its a sighting issue or arrow setup. Then, confirm all fasteners are tight especially the scope mount screws.

Sorry to hear you're not happy with the trigger. Barry at Woody's knows his stuff so I would be surprised he would polish a trigger, send it out and its still not working properly. Try lubricating it with a light oil and shoot it a bunch, that typically helps. If its still not right please let me know and we will make sure its corrected.

Peter
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Hi. I found that with the Optimizer I set up like you did, but had to fine tune at 60yards using my target turrets. Also, as Kegbelly mentioned try leaving your scope at 3X. My Leupold is set at 150yards paralax setting which is magnified with the higher magnification. So...leave your scope on 3X, fine tune with the turrets at longer ranges, and very important, make sure you have a level mounted on your riser. At extended ranges the slightest cant can cause a change in poi.Danny Miller has great levels for about $20.00. I wouldn't shoot without one. :D
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
JB2010

Post by JB2010 »

I added the extra weight on my practice tips. From 100 to 125gr. I reset everything and got better groups today. It was windy but I was getting about 2-3" groups at 60yds. I haven't put the sticker on my dial yet because I want to make sure everything is just right before I do. I used a level today also and believe I will mount one on my munch mount and glue it to my quiver mount so I can see it. Thx for that tip.
Also I have always checked for cocking errors and I'm very cautious on string placement etc... And every bolt and screw is secure and loctite has been used.
The trigger I believe is 85-90% of the problem. I've shot it about 100X and it's no better. I do think it is very bad to pay so much for a Xbow and then have to buy a $200 trigger to get it to where you can shoot it and have some idea of where the trigger will break. This trigger is horrible. I can't even use my finger tip or the last joint on my finger to consistently pull it.(if that makes sense) If it was polished it either wasn't done correctly or there is such a bad trigger in my Xbow that no amount of polishing will fix it. I tried calling woodys today and never got an answer. I'll try again tomorrow I guess but sending my xbow off and and having to take everything off of it, be without it for over a week, then releveling it, and retightening it, and starting over again on sighting it in, is Not something I plan to do. I wish the trigger tech technology, if its as good as you hear about, could have been put into the factory trigger. I'm having buyers remorse and wishing I'd kept my Exomax....
Matrix 380
Deluxe Munch Mount
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

Perhaps you should consider spending the extra money and getting a trigger tech trigger. It just may solve your issues you are having with your new bow. You have already replaced the factory scope, many people have also replaced the factory Excalibur arrows with Black Eagle arrows with a good helical and noticed an increase in accuracy. Zombies and Executioners seem to be the arrows of choice.
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
Michiganhunter

Post by Michiganhunter »

I also just recently sighted in my 380. I have the Hawke 30 compact scope and really like it. I got lucky and after only a couple adjustments was hitting a dime size dot at 20 yds within 6 shots. Dime size spot hits with every distance out to 50 yds so far, using a rest of course. One issue with a crossbow vs a rifle is that any canting/tilting of your bow off level will throw the arrow off target either left or right.A rifle will do the same thing but usually only noticeable a longer ranges. So if you installed the scope make sure the scope crosshairs are level with the limbs of the bow. This sounds like it may be your problem with this setup. JMO
Last edited by Michiganhunter on Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
380 Matrix Extra
Hawke XB 30 Compact
Easton 2216 19 " 388gr... 378fps
100gr Spitfire/Wasp Jak-Hammer
Trigger Tech trigger
Michiganhunter

Post by Michiganhunter »

double post
380 Matrix Extra
Hawke XB 30 Compact
Easton 2216 19 " 388gr... 378fps
100gr Spitfire/Wasp Jak-Hammer
Trigger Tech trigger
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Some of the matrix models do have triggers that be ruff as a corncob. After 300 shots on Marie wid a trigger that travels from mornin to evenin. I traded our trigger assemblys wid Miss Vixen. Shoots like a Dream now.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

Post by Excalibur Marketing Dude »

The trigger I believe is 85-90% of the problem. I've shot it about 100X and it's no better. I do think it is very bad to pay so much for a Xbow and then have to buy a $200 trigger to get it to where you can shoot it and have some idea of where the trigger will break. This trigger is horrible.
You don't have to buy a Trigger Tech trigger to have a good trigger. If you feel your trigger has issues please contact us and we will take a look at it for you 800-463-1817. It may just have a sear issue that we can polish out.

We are spending a lot of time trying to confirm all triggers that leave here are perfect. Every trigger is hand made but errors can happen. The problem is the new Matrix models put more pressure on the sears so if there are any imperfection its noticeable.

We have implemented new procedures and checks and our aim is to make the best trigger on the market. Trigger Tech makes a good product but we have thousands of users that are happy with the stock trigger. Triggers are very subjective, some people who have experience with high end rifle triggers are way more picky than your average shooter. There is no way we can make everybody happy but we will do our best to try.

Peter
F250-2

Post by F250-2 »

Peter. Good to hear. Thanks for taking the time to comment here. I too recently purchased a 380. The trigger is very rough and takes LOTS of pressure. It actually pulls back in a series of three clicks/steps before I get to the final wall for the break. Lots of creep - feels like 1/3" or more. I am able to shoot good groups from the bench, but it will be tough to shoot from an unsupported position. How many shots should it take to "break-in" a trigger ? What do you think the turn-around time would be if I send it back to you folks ?
jparchery

Post by jparchery »

I just installed my trigger tech trigger yesterday, what a huge difference. It is smooth and breaks clean suddenly, it's perfection. I'm shooting the matrix 355 , and couldn't believe how bad the factory trigger was. It would stop in 2 different spots while squeezing before the break. I strongly recommend trigger tech.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I must be easy to please, or just lucky, but I have owned 3 Excalibur crossbows, and every one had a good trigger! My Vortex was the best right out of the box, but the 355 broke in after about 100 shots, or so. I'm not knocking the TT at all, and I'm sure it is an excellent upgrade. I'm still on the fence myself, but I would send it back in if feel it is that bad. There are many here that popped out the cash for the upgrade, and never looked back. It is just like anything else, if you want better than stock, pony up the cash. I think the factory trigger is just fine for hunting with mine! 8)
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
vaXbow

Post by vaXbow »

I've owned 4 Excals (Vortex, Phoenix, 355, 330), the two Matrix bows had TT installed. Me personally I think they are the best upgrade you can do. My 330 now rivals my Solution as far as triggers are concerned. This is my opinion only. I have heard the triggers in the 405 are better than the rest of the line. I have never shot one to verify that.
The Horizontal Zone
[email protected]