Help, my back cant take it..equinox

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

samiam

Help, my back cant take it..equinox

Post by samiam »

I went to town to buy a Vortex package as I have shot that one and and found it outstanding (aside from the trigger), but they were out so I bought the Eguinox package instead. I can cock it fine and it will be no problem for hunting as you only cock it once or twice but I just cant enjoy a evennings target practice with it due to the pull weight and as this xbow is way more than I need anyway can I detune this so it performs in the Phoenix..Vortex range. I am thinking of adding a shim or wedge shaped shim to tip the tips of the bow in a bit.
I know Excalibur may not like people changing thier xbows in anyway but I am going to do something and much prefer proper instruction from the manufacturer than winging it on my own. There will never be a warranty claim of any kind and I would provide my name and address to Xcal so they could be sure of that, though that should really only be a concern to them if someone was trying to get better performance out of thier xbows.
I have a lathe and milling machines so I can fabricate any part to exact specs.
Also if anyone has already done such a thing, or has other ideas, please let me know.
Boo

Re: Help, my back cant take it..equinox

Post by Boo »

Quite a few have had rails machined, but a better question might be, why don't you just buy a cranking aid? You could also swap someone for a straight riser which would lose 25 lbs.
BTW, a common mistake is to not fill in your location. More help might become available if everyone knows where you are located.
Last edited by Boo on Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

Welcome, myself I would try selling it and buy the one you want. I wouldn't modify it, it would void the warranty on it. :D
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
samiam

Post by samiam »

Boo, you will have to spell it out for me, I am new to xbows. Whats a straight riser? (I will googgle it in the mean time) I have thought about a crank...still thinking about one...But also this xbow as it come is more than I need performance wise so I thought to kill two birds with one stone.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

You're in Canada, there is a member here that does a lot of custom work, and has access to a machine shop, and lives in Canada as well. Munch is his nickname here, Terry might be able to cut one down for you to make it a 200#, or 175# length. Or, as Boo said, get the crank!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
bigredopie

Post by bigredopie »

Don't mess with the limbs! as many much more experienced folks can confirm, the draw weight is all determined by the length of the riser. If you want the draw weight and speed of a vortex then you need to cut the rail back an inch.

That is one of the ingenious things about an Excalibur bow. Most of the parts are identical and interchangeable. That reduces manufacturing and repair (even though exceedingly rare) costs.

So that would leave you with a couple of options.

1. Offer to trade rails with a vortex or Exocet owner that would like to go up in speed/power.
2. Cut your rail down to match the vortex specs yourself. You mentioned that you are or have access to a machine shop so you might be able to cut it down yourself. Just remember these bows are precision tools, so the work must be perfect.
3. If your are in the US you could call Danny Miller who can cut the rail down for you. If you look through some of the old threads you will see where some others have done that, usually because the Exact power/speed/look combination they wanted were not on the market.
4. Talk to Danny about a vortex rail. I would be surprised if he did not have one sitting in his shop somewhere.
5. Swap entire bows with someone or sell the equinox and buy a vortex.

Either way I would suggest you give Danny a shout before you cut a rail as he may be able to give you some pointers and suggestions (740-483-2312). Also I know you are new so the PM system may not work properly for you yet, but if you are interested in a rail swap let me know [email protected]
380 Matrix, Vortex, Y25, Exomag and Brown Vixen
Boo Strings & Big John Arrows to hit 'em
DaGriz Knife and Hatchet Set to Skin 'em
Boo

Post by Boo »

The Equinox has forward limbs which means that the two limbs are not on the same plane. Rather, they are angled forward a few degrees. A flat riser's limbs are on the same plane and decreases the poundage by 25 lbs. A flat riser would give you the same power as a Vortex but slightly easier to cock and slightly less noisy because the string is not as preloaded as the Vortex.
samiam

Post by samiam »

Ok, riser, that part the limbs attach to, on the xcal a removable part from the barrel/rail. What Boo said I think is to get a riser thats straight across the top so the limbs tip down/in lower thus giving me less power stroke, and that is what I thought to achieve by shimming the limbs at the base to tip in.
I just went out to take some measurements and I cant tell any difference between the limbs of mine and the Vortex in length, width, or thickness, the only measurable parameter that was different was the length of stroke.
Bigredopie I am not going to mess with anything yet, still considering all options. I still suspect that shiming and tiping the bow tips in just 1 inch should give me performance just slightly less than the Vortex, but greater than the Phoenix all without any permanent change to the bow.
I am wondering, are flat risers sold as a option? is this something I can order, I dont think I seen this on the site.
Boo

Post by Boo »

You might get someone looking to trade bows or risers. If you don't ask, you don't get! If you don't get anywhere talk to me.
BTW, you have it right on the limbs.
Edit to add; I doubt that Excalibur has any straight risers for sale. They haven't made them for a long time.
samiam

Post by samiam »

Boo, I dont think I would trade it off as I have given it a trigger job, and not everyone likes there trigger the way I do.
I measured up the pheonix model...same thing...this series seems to be the same with just different lipstick and rail length......So I think I can have the best of both worlds. I may cut the rail down (not off) 1.5 inches. that will give me performance right between the Phoenix and the Vortex, easier on strings, and my back for fun shooting, then come hunting season bolt the riser back into its original position for more power.
I ofcourse will have to machine a dummy block to put in place of the cut out rail when shooting at full power.
Or maybe go all the way back 2 inches so its identical to the Phoenix. I will have to give it some thought.
munch

Post by munch »

I have a straight riser I would swap
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

There you go! :D
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
strum

Post by strum »

there are some on here who have done what you are saying. but you may consider looking for a shorter rail . use it for target and then swap back for hunting.. better yet buy yourself another bow . you cant have too many ya know :D
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Been there done that. Just buy a shorter rail.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
samiam

Post by samiam »

Munch, thanks where are you located? I am in central/eastern Alberta area. I am still entertaining the thought of modifying mine but If I dont mod mine I would like to swap with you.

Cossack, you have done this? and you still suggest buying another rail? why?