String stretch and twisting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Terry13111

String stretch and twisting

Post by Terry13111 »

Hello. How long does it take for a string to stretch enough to where it starts to settle? I recently bought an Axiom and then some S5's for it. I had to twist the string in order to get the string 3/16" away from the S5 pads. After about 40 shots it is now only 1/16". The bow still has less than 100 shots through it.

Also, I have a question about twisting the string. My method was to leave one loop on the limb, take the other off and twist it counter clockwise, then reattach it. Is this an okay method?

Thanks!
Deerstalker

Re: String stretch and twisting

Post by Deerstalker »

Yes, you are twisting the string in the correct way. I have the Equinox & my sons have the Vortex and Axiom, all with the S5s. We have found that when we keep the string about 1/8" from the rubbers that we have the best accuracy and repeatable POI. I use the FFF string and at first I had to adjust it frequently but after a year not so much.
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Your doing it right Terry .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Boo

Post by Boo »

Terry13111 wrote:Hello. How long does it take for a string to stretch enough to where it starts to settle? I recently bought an Axiom and then some S5's for it. I had to twist the string in order to get the string 3/16" away from the S5 pads. After about 40 shots it is now only 1/16". The bow still has less than 100 shots through it.
It's difficult for anyone to give you an accurate answer without knowing which string you have.
You can accelerate a strings settling in process. First mark the side of the rail with a paint dot so you'll always and quickly know where the string should be. Then by twisting the string counter clockwise to shorten it and subsequently increase the string/bumper gap to at least 1/2". Leave it like that in a warm environment and adjust the brace height to where it belongs before shooting. That will speed up the process.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
The Chief

Post by The Chief »

I was using the stock string on my 380 when I bought it in Feb. in April it was still stretching. 8 Pt. made me a couple strings and I have only had to adjust it once since April.
Terry13111

Post by Terry13111 »

Thanks everyone for the replies!

I am using the stock string
Boo

Post by Boo »

Your string is a Dacron endless loop string. It will creep (not stretch) it's entire life. However, the rate of creep will gradually get to a point where it is a non-issue. If you do as I suggest you will likely see that point at about 150 shots.
The Dacron string is on the bow to protect you during your learning curve. Strings that have very little creep are very unforgiving. If you compare what you gain vs what you have to lose when you buy a fancy string, it just isn't worth it. It is cheap, reduces the likelyhood of damage in the event of a dry-fire and is pretty low in noise.
If you make a string jig you can eliminate 80% of the string creep.
BTW, creep is a permanent dimensional change and stretch is the temporary change and refers to elasticity. A Dacron string has plenty of both.
Some people just like stepping on rakes