Meat Grinder Recommendations

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dewy

Meat Grinder Recommendations

Post by dewy »

Ok guys, I'm tired of paying $70 per deer to have them processed. The processor does a fantastic job, I have absolutely no complaints. However, we eat though 5 deer a year in my family and give two more away to property owners so the cost adds up considerably over the course of the season.

I'm going to start processing my own this season but need a meat grinder for it. What model do you like and recommend? What should I be looking for in a meat grinder hp wise?

Dewy
Micro 335
15" BEE's
125gr Shwackers
Hot Pepper Dude

Re: Meat Grinder Recommendations

Post by Hot Pepper Dude »

Hi. I purchased a grinder from Cabela's and I love it. Got the 1/2 horsepower model. It does a terrific job. As fast as I pitch in the meat, it is gone out the end of the machine. Stuffing tubes are included. Stainless steel hopper/tray.
Extremely efficient, quiet, and powerful.

Regards, H.P.D.
tharris811

Post by tharris811 »

I got 3/4 hp from Gander mt. it the pro series I think.anyway it is the big model.Have not done much so far just got it this summer on sale. But what I have done it seems plenty big enough to do what ever..
live everyday as it is your last..It may be
884savage

Post by 884savage »

I bought a Waring Pro 450 Watt grinder 4 seasons ago. I use it a lot. I too shoot 5-10 deer a year when you include summer depredation permits, and I've worked it out hard. The day it arrived from Amazon, it froze up. Waring Pro sent me a replacement within days, and I've not had a single problem with the new one. I'd do some research on the HP Wattage ratings on spam sites. It's been so long that I don't remember what all the numbers mean. I know mine is more than enough for what I use it for. Unlike a statement from above, this thing isn't really quiet though. Other than that, I like it.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Hot Pepper Dude wrote:Hi. I purchased a grinder from Cabela's and I love it. Got the 1/2 horsepower model. It does a terrific job. As fast as I pitch in the meat, it is gone out the end of the machine. Stuffing tubes are included. Stainless steel hopper/tray.
Extremely efficient, quiet, and powerful.

Regards, H.P.D.
Same here, the Cabela's 1/2hp has paid for itself numerous times. I just checked my receipt because I keep the all and it was purchased just under 10 years ago and the sale price was $216....not today :lol:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
ds762

Post by ds762 »

I have the cheapie electric grinder from Cabela's. It works for my needs (had it for 10 yrs) .. until I wear it out and then I'll buy a better one.

My GF's stepdad has the biggest electric grinder that Bass Pro sells and it will flat out EAT!! Its also $500 ..
M380 ---"Mjolnir"
Vendetta RF
BEE

>>>--------->
cspot

Post by cspot »

I have the commercial grinder from Cabelas. Forget the HP but it is a #12 size grinder. It has worked great for the last few years. Definitely well made.
Excalibur Matrix 330, Micro 335
Sopchoppy

Post by Sopchoppy »

I have the LEM #8 and it's big a' plenty for a few deer a year. Get the foot control accessory it's worth it's weight in gold, well almost.
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
rayman

Post by rayman »

Got tired of the meat processor shenanigans a couple years ago and got a Cabelas commercial 1-hp grinder. Have been extremely pleased with performance. Mix about 8-10% pork fat with mine and grind it twice. Takes longer to get set up and get the meat ready than it does to grind it.

Also suggest ordering a ground meat packing kit with extra bags from Southern Indiana Butcher Supply. You can grind and put up 200 lb of meat in 1 to 2 lb packs so fast it will make your head spin. :)
dewy

Post by dewy »

Thanks for the information fellas. Did some research and found out that Cabelas has a 5 year warranty on the commercial style models, so I will probably go with one of them.
Micro 335
15" BEE's
125gr Shwackers