Serving on Flemish strings

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

cb175

Serving on Flemish strings

Post by cb175 »

Had a couple of partial dry fires at the weekend. Suspect serving worn down a bit on the rail and letting the flemish string shoot under the bolt.

Read a couple of posts on here about people being concerned about this happening with thin strings.

Using strings by a well known string maker from this forum. I have never had the problem with the strings new or newly reserved.

Guess I just have to keep an eye on the serving for wear (using 0.030" HALO).

I have now double served the centre part of the serving (where it actually rubs on the rail) and will see how that goes. Anybody else tried that?

Can anybody suggest a reason I shouldn't do it? I suspect it may give a very small speed reduction.
strum

Re: Serving on Flemish strings

Post by strum »

never tried double serving. why do you think its going under the arrow for a partial DF?
the string should hit on the center of the nock .
by the way I am partial to the thicker strings for that reason
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

I've shot a bunch of different size arrows from 1916 to 2315's, this has been with a lot of different strings, as far as I know I've never known the string to go under or over the nock with any of my testing.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

If'en arrow was seated on string won't be no partial or full dryfire. The string will certainly be against the flat nock. What arrows n nocks were you shootin & what total weight ?
Last edited by vixenmaster on Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Boo

Post by Boo »

A string going under an arrow is not caused by a worn serving. That is assuming the string is of normal construction.
It's likely caused by something at the nock end of the arrow. Double serving is not necessary. If you make it too thick you'll see abnormal serving wear.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
cb175

Post by cb175 »

Bow is an Ibex. Bolts are 20" GT Laser II with 125gn point. Total weight is 418gn. Fletched with mini blazers. GT flat nocks. When the bow is cocked and a bolt is loaded, the string looks a bit low on the nock - impossible to photograph!
When I put a newly served string on, the problem didn't recur.

I am as certain as can be that I had the bolt properly loaded. (Can never be 100% certain!)

I have been shooting this for a year now with close to 100 shots per week, so not just new to the game. Hasn't happened before. Just looked like the serving was really worn down against the rail which is why I changed the string.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Ck those GT II's i have several that are bowed & are 1/8th inch high/low when rollin on my table.I won't buy them anymore.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Try reserving your string of changing ends and turn flat spot spot over if serving bottom has been worn flat by rail. Also check arrow retention spring pressure to make sure your arrow is laying flat. Chec arrow run-out too by rolling along flat surface (vanes past edge) to make sure arrow is straight.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!