Remember when

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

cevans

Remember when

Post by cevans »

In thinking about the Topic, "Ozonics, Yay or Nay", I thought it would be fun to start the Topic, Remember when. Add to it as it goes on. To the younger hunters, it will give away our age for sure! :lol: I will start with:

Remember when the first compound bow was brought out? It was a T handle on the limbs of a Allen compound bow, and all the hunters that were serious bow hunters didn't care for it at all,,hated it, and even a few states in the US were thinking of banning it.

Remember when the first lighted nock came out? I had a archery shop, we went to the Nat. Archery show as dealers looking to buy the latest and greatest, as well as all the new gimmicks to sell that we thought would sell. We would take people outside in the evenings and shoot a lighted nock arrow has high as we could then chase it in a bean field next door to retrieve it.

Remember when the first hand held release came out? Everybody shot fingers.

Remember when crossbows first came out. Most states wouldn't even recognize them and the fight was on, to legalize them and in some states still is ongoing.

This is for fishermen,,,remember when the first fish finder was brought out. A lot of states banned them in the beginning.

Remember when arrows were wood or fiberglass? Along came Easton, and another one can't remember, then later, Bee with carbon.

Remember the Bear 2 blade broadhead and how long it took to sharpen before you went hunting?
For the Indiana Hunters,,remember when Indiana released its first pairs of deer and they had a brass medalian around their necks with a number on it, and the first year they had a hunt, the hunters got to record their numbers so DNR could track them.??

I started this posting as the posting of Ozonics made me think about progress. Progress that has happened in bow hunting/deer hunting. Ozonics could very be one of the above things that change our style of hunting someday. You just never know and only time, and change, will tell. But,,remember when? Add to this and enjoy.
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's

Stalking is the game! Stand Hunt too.
vixenmaster

Re: Remember when

Post by vixenmaster »

I remember when i purchased my 1st Recurve a Wing Hunter #48lbs in mid 60's. :) I remember killin my 1st deer a Forkhorn Buck it was a Blacktail usin my .410 wid a slug. That was early 60's. :) I remember when all you could buy were port orford ceder arrows. I remember how good life was back then & the best Rock n roll music :D
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

My first bow was a Bear Kodiak Magnum Recurve purchased at age 10 for 39 dollars ! At age eleven I bought a Bear Blacktail Hunter and took my first buck . I'm 50 now so I've seen a lot of changes thru the years . Some good , Some bad .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Starvin' Hillbilly

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

i might be o/t, I remember when dad would go deer (rifle) hunting wearing a dark mouse colored stetson and a flannel shirt. No such thing as hunter orange (international color to keep rednecks from shooting one another) a pocket full of shells and a Marlin 30-30, a buck knife. a sandwich and a jug full of coffee. The first few years he always hunted alone everyone says since the "Nam" he was that way.

Back to Bows, my first bow was a Jennings forked lighting and i was good w/ it but being a kid i wasn't quite bowhunting material. My brother bought a crossbow and a swear the limbs were spring steel! There was ignorance among us, String wax? what String wax? he ate the string on that thing, almost put his eye out. guess i was 16-17 bought my first xbow, a PSE Starfire. Killed 2 bucks w/ it before i went into the service.

-ken
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
cevans

Post by cevans »

Anybody remember when doe in heat came out, and things like Tink's skunk cover scent? Whew! guys were pouring that stuff all over themselves not knowing which way to use it.
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's

Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

I shot re curves for years. My first compound was a bear polar 2. I thought I was nuts paying $120 for it in the early 70's. It served me well. I moved up to Holt Fast Flight then got old. Lol . I'm an Excalibur guy now.
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

In PA you had to wear Woolrich Plaid red or green. weighed 100 pounds but kept you warm wet and dry.
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

Wing was a great bow at the time. top of the line.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I remember when i bought a Damon Howatt Super Diablo & a Damon HiSpeed. Diablo was #54lbs & HiSpeed was #52lbs. I remenber when i bought my 1st Compound a Jennings Forked Lightning. I remember when i only could buy 3" paper shotshells fer my .410 #4's & #6's to hunt Bandtail Pigeons & Ringneck Pheasants
Half Bubble Off BD360

Oppie

Post by Oppie »

I shot bear recurve's for a couple yrs then moved up to a bear whitetail hunter compound around 72, with Steel cables an Four wheels! Switched from fiberglass arrows to aluminum at the same time, fiberglass wasn't supposed to be "safe" to shoot outta of the compound.
In 73 I bought my own rifle, brand new Ruger M77 25-06 with a Redfield 3x9, still have both the rifle an the bow, although the Ruger's in much better condition.
Just Makin Wine on the Hill!
Exocet 200 wth Leupold Crossbones, Munch mount
xcaliber FFF strings
VM FFF Strings
Black Eagles Executioners Wth Blazers
Slick Trick 100
The Chief

Post by The Chief »

My first bow was a Bear Whitetail which had 3 settings depending which wheel you put the string on. Never shot a thing or got a shot with it but had a ball trying.
cevans

Post by cevans »

Remember your first muzzleloader, and all you could shoot was round balls with the sprue on it patched and only black powder was available? Some of the times, the caps, no #10 & #11's wouldn't go off especially if you got them wet? Reloading was a pita! No such thing as a speed loader. Most were extremely heavy also.
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's

vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Yup i remember my 1st ML. It were my great G'pas, i got to shoot it in 1958. Were a Tn poor boy style & it was from the 1800's. A caplock .45 cal wid patched round balls. It was about shot out, groups of 4" at 50 yds was best it would do. My Pa shot it alot n let me shoot it off the bench on our small farm.
Half Bubble Off BD360

ds762

Post by ds762 »

My first bow was a Bear Whitetail II.

My first rifle I used to deer hunt was a Colt SP1 with my dad when I was 8 yrs old back in 1987. What I wouldn't give to be able to go back and re-live those hunts !!!!!!!
M380 ---"Mjolnir"
Vendetta RF
BEE

>>>--------->
cevans

Post by cevans »

Remember when the early recurve bows, guys would warp the limbs on them by stringing them wrong. Sometimes sticking their leg thru them with the end tip in the middle of their shoe? Instead of using a bow stringer? When I was a kid in the 60's working for a cousin that had a sporting goods shop, (at 50 cents a hour, mim wage was 65 cents and I never got paid as I took it out in trade on bows, fishing, and guns, lol) a lot of bows came in with the strings broken or cut, and we had strings in plastic bags from the manufacturers of the bows, with the lengths on them as nobody made strings then, if you didn't have the perfect string, you got the closest and the dude would be happy enough to go back hunting!!!!! A lot of shakespear and bear bows got warped limbs on the old recurves from mishandling.
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's