Installing Scope Mounts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

flatone

Installing Scope Mounts

Post by flatone »

Just got my new 380 the other day... Thanks to all for the nice welcome to the forum. This is by far the friendliest forum I have ever been a part of....

I have mounted many scopes on rifles... after watching the video on how to mount the scope on my 380, I have a couple questions maybe you guys can answer.

1. Before fully tightening down the scope rings, they have some small movement forward and back. On a rifle, I always make sure that the rings are seated in the bases as far forward in the slots as possible. Is there a preference when mounting the rings on a crossbow?

2. The video shows to level the scope by "eye"... any reason you can't put a level on the rail and then level the scope off the top dial?

3. What is the purpose of the tape inside the rings?? I'm guessing it keeps the scope from moving. I like to lap my scope rings, I'm guessing this isn't useful or practical for a crossbow.....

Thanks,
Andy
Matrix 380
vixenmaster

Re: Installing Scope Mounts

Post by vixenmaster »

I jus put ring in slot push it back as i snug it down. I also lvl my rail & scope. The tape jus adds abit of cushsion & doesn't let scope roll on you as you tighten rings.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

I did the same as Vixenmaster says... With the reverse recoil of a crossbow, I pushed my rings to the rear of the slots.
Best method I've found for mounting a scope on a crossbow is to lay a level across the rail and get it close to perfect as you can, then look through the scope and line the vertical crosshair up with a plumb-bob string hanging several yards in front of the bow. You want that reticle as straight as you can get it or your shots may be off to one side at longer yardages.
Congrats on the new bow, the 380 is a hoss!
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
RexKay

Post by RexKay »

Ya plumb line like Kegbelly said.. And don't forgets the blue loctite :D
I like things with strings.....
4 Guitars
8 Excals
1 Scorpyd
PSE Tac Elite
13 Grayling Bears
And 2 Hoyts
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

X3 on level on rail plus plumb bob. I can't see the string on a plumb bob so I use heavier cord, fwiw.
"Eze 18:21"
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I use a scope leveler off the rail/action, same as I do when mounting rifle scope.
Plumb bob is fine assuming the bow is perfectly level.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
flatone

Post by flatone »

Thanks for the info!! Just what I needed!
Matrix 380