shooting from an elevated position/tree stand

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

RonnieM

shooting from an elevated position/tree stand

Post by RonnieM »

Sorry guys, I have not been on in a while. Had a new baby, working tons of hours, fishing of course and deer scouting.

This will be the first time hunting deer with a crossbow and never did with a bow. I have a 380. I killed a turkey with spring with it and now going after deer, lots of deer meat. There is a heard of some monster bucks going through a wooded area i am hunting. I will be going after one of them the 9th of next month, gonna be hot but i know their pattern and i know it will not last long until they scatter. Here is my question. I am using a tree climber and will be shooting from a elevated position. I have never shoot from an elevated position. I understand sometime shooting at a deer, aim low in case he jumps and all that. But my question is say i have my spot where i want to hit, say i am shooting at a target at my bulls eye from a high position, would i need to aim high or can i aim dead on to hit my mark, from an elevated position.

I know, i should of practiced from an elevated position, and hopefully i will, but not sure if i can get as high as i will be going up since i left my climber where i will be hunting.

And I have the fever. Been dreaming about it already.

Thanks Folks
"He is not a fool to gives the things he cannot keep, to gain the things which he cannot lose"
awshucks

Re: shooting from an elevated position/tree stand

Post by awshucks »

I did some experiments on this. W/ a 225# Emax. Standing up, on a 12" ladder stand [xbow 16' high] target 20 yds away, hold where you want the arrow to hit.........
"Eze 18:21"
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

I shot a hog last year out of my climber at 30 ft. bolt hit right where I aimed it.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

X2 from 25' high stands. The only string jump you should worry about would shots past 35 yards. I shot my buck last year at 29 yards, he never knew what hit him. You should practice from an elevated position for one reason Ronnie, so you know where you will hit based on your aiming point without questioning it when the shot does come!

Good Luck, it's getting close! 8)
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
RonnieM

Post by RonnieM »

Thanks folks. Yea it comes in the 6th and I will be out there 3 days later. Hunting over on my inlaws and boy are there some monster bucks over there plus turkeies. I plan on getting a couple deer plus a turkey. If all 100 variables fall into place I can get it done. I'm pumped!
"He is not a fool to gives the things he cannot keep, to gain the things which he cannot lose"
884savage

Post by 884savage »

The closer that deer gets to you, the lower you want to aim on the heart. I've had a tendency to hit high on shots inside of 15 yards, and my hunting partner has seen the same. Might just be us.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Aim as if the target is on your horizontal plane. In other words, if you range a spot from the base of your tree and it's 20yards, then you go up the tree and range it and it says 26 yards, you would shoot it for 20yards. :D
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

it Is easy to shoot over a deer if thy are close to your tree I found this out when I first started hunting out of a climmer Dutch
addicted to canadian beaver
Tom

Post by Tom »

paulaboutform wrote:Aim as if the target is on your horizontal plane. In other words, if you range a spot from the base of your tree and it's 20yards, then you go up the tree and range it and it says 26 yards, you would shoot it for 20yards. :D
The above is true. When in a tree stand, shooting down, the arrow will hit high compared to the same distance on the level. But the distance is greater in the tree then from the base of the tree. If you range the distance from the stand, aim about 2 inches low with your bow (a good average for different hights).

But remember arrow path through the animal for your killing point of aim is different the higher you go.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Fandex

Post by Fandex »

IMO everything is said in a few words : if the deer is close (less than 30 yards) AND not alerted, it won't 'jump' the string, he will have no time. In the other case, i won't shoot. So, you can aim where you want your arrow arrive, but keep in mind that your arrow is going down, so if you aim to low, you miss the heart. Imagine the heart beating in the deer, and aim on it :D
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

You should practice the real close shot. The shot were the deer is close to the tree you are sitting in. Take a few shots at a target that is below you and a around ten to fifteen yards out. Practicing this shot will let you know were to hold on the animal with the particular scope you are using.
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Yep, lot of gun hunters miss that shot too. When the deer is right under you, the target area actually shrinks, and lots of guys opt for the spine shot, that can be a bad move too! Practice like you play! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
RonnieM

Post by RonnieM »

Thanks folks. Going to get on the roof and practice shots this week.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Once again. The arrow is affected by gravity over it's HORIZONTAL distance to the target! i.e. from the base of the tree your stand is on to the target. Height has no affect. In fact shooting low may not cause the arrow to pass through the vitals. Try to visualize where the arrow will exit -after going through lungs or heart -and shoot to the point that will make that happen.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

I take extra arrows with field pts just to nail squirrel's to the ground before the rut. Aim dead on no hold under or over, your poi doesn't change, this could help some on here figure their range around their tree stand, have fun
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers