nocturnal nock help

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

William Biggs

nocturnal nock help

Post by William Biggs »

Ok need some help. I purchased some lumenoks for my diablos and they worked great but need new batteries. These lumenoks are very hard to shut off much less pull apart for batteries so I took them to a local shop that does a lot of arrow work. They were able to change 2 lumenok batteries but couldn't remove the 3rd one. So I went and shot the ones they changed and soon as I shot them, they lit up but went out when they hit the target. Now they rattle when I shake them and no longer work. Well I took them back to the shop and they tell me that "they are done" and recommend these Noctunals. Well my question is these nocks are not flat but have a "gear" type of cut in them or 6 small notches around. Does anyone know if these are safe for Excaliburs?
#teamMatrix
Nikon Bolt w/ AR rings
Danny Miller stops
millerp

Re: nocturnal nock help

Post by millerp »

Good morning. I just purchased the Equinox. Bought a dozen Victory Xbolts 20in with Victory blazer vanes. (the small ones). Bought the Nocturnal red flat nocks when I bought the crossbow. Read all these posts about dryfires and all that. Kinda scared me. I just installed the nocturnals 2 nights ago. Shot it last night.... WOW !!! 20 30 40 yds dead center with Montec G5 broadheads !!!! All three nocturnals lit right up as designed and stayed lit. Very easy to turn on with either another broadhead tip or a practice tip. Make sure you get FLAT !!! Don't know what anyone else is doing but my Equinox shoots like a dream with this setup with the Nocturnals... Can't wait to get to PA in a few weeks !!!
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

go to nu fletch web site these nock come in flat very easy to turn off these are the best i have to date . lumen nocks still are good just hard to turn off
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

William Biggs wrote:Ok need some help. I purchased some lumenoks for my diablos and they worked great but need new batteries. These lumenoks are very hard to shut off much less pull apart for batteries so I took them to a local shop that does a lot of arrow work. They were able to change 2 lumenok batteries but couldn't remove the 3rd one. So I went and shot the ones they changed and soon as I shot them, they lit up but went out when they hit the target. Now they rattle when I shake them and no longer work. Well I took them back to the shop and they tell me that "they are done" and recommend these Noctunals. Well my question is these nocks are not flat but have a "gear" type of cut in them or 6 small notches around. Does anyone know if these are safe for Excaliburs?

Hopefully someone can shed some light here...unless the wrong size Lumenok was purchased for the Diablos (they do come in different sizes...learned that the hard way)....I have never had any kind of problem as you have with the battery dying....could it be possible that the dealer has old stock, causing both the original Lumenok and replacement battery to die...why not try contacting Burt Coyote and explain your problem...they might be able to help and may offer something to make you whole....

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I've seen the gear style nocks and wouldn't shoot them myself. They may work fine but just the design looks like something that could cause major issues with center serving. I'd look for flat nocks. The shop that tried selling them to me said they achieve better string acquisition, this is the same shop that told me crossbow strings shouldn't have any twists in them. ???? Both statements are false.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

paulaboutform wrote:I've seen the gear style nocks and wouldn't shoot them myself. They may work fine but just the design looks like something that could cause major issues with center serving. I'd look for flat nocks. The shop that tried selling them to me said they achieve better string acquisition, this is the same shop that told me crossbow strings shouldn't have any twists in them. ???? Both statements are false.

Now I am confused Paul....What are considered gear nocks? Are you saying you agree on the Lumenoks or not?? My experience is they have been flawless for me with practice and on BH's. They are flat head.

Best,

In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

[email protected] wrote:
paulaboutform wrote:I've seen the gear style nocks and wouldn't shoot them myself. They may work fine but just the design looks like something that could cause major issues with center serving. I'd look for flat nocks. The shop that tried selling them to me said they achieve better string acquisition, this is the same shop that told me crossbow strings shouldn't have any twists in them. ???? Both statements are false.

Now I am confused Paul....What are considered gear nocks? Are you saying you agree on the Lumenoks or not?? My experience is they have been flawless for me with practice and on BH's. They are flat head.

Best,

I reread the entire thread and did not realize the Nocturnals are referred to as gear thread...I never noticed that...

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
shooter00

Post by shooter00 »

bob watkins wrote:go to nu fletch web site these nock come in flat very easy to turn off these are the best i have to date . lumen nocks still are good just hard to turn off
+1 I'll never use anything else again.
Nufletch Ignitor .300 Green
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

shooter00 wrote:
bob watkins wrote:go to nu fletch web site these nock come in flat very easy to turn off these are the best i have to date . lumen nocks still are good just hard to turn off
+1 I'll never use anything else again.
Nufletch Ignitor .300 Green
Interesting....a lot heavier than the Lumenoks...the greens do have a 50 hr life as opposed to 15 for the red....my query is "how are they easily turned off?"

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

[email protected] wrote:

Best,

Hey Anthony, I agree about the Luminoks. Mine are tight and I extinguish them with the Danny Miller arra pliers. They fly and perform flawlessly. The 'gear' nocks referred to have a flat face but look like they have a bunch of notches cut out of them. From what I read in this post it sounds like too small a size Luminoks were installed OR the shop altered them by either shaving or sanding to make them 'fit' better rendering them useless.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
William Biggs

Post by William Biggs »

Thank you for the replies. I purchased these lumenoks off ebay and had no problems for the 1st year. But I noticed the batteries were getting weak so I went to this shop to have them changed b/c I could only remove one myself due to how tight they were installed. All 3 arrows failed the exact same way during their 1st shot. I then take them back to the shop but the guy says "they're done" as refering to the product failing. I do feel its more of the shops fault but I did want to argue something I knew lil about. The shop still charged me for these Nocturnals but I haven't shot them yet. I'm thinking about going back to the shop and having them order me new lumenoks but wanted yalls advice 1st.
#teamMatrix
Nikon Bolt w/ AR rings
Danny Miller stops
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

William Biggs wrote:Thank you for the replies. I purchased these lumenoks off ebay and had no problems for the 1st year. But I noticed the batteries were getting weak so I went to this shop to have them changed b/c I could only remove one myself due to how tight they were installed. All 3 arrows failed the exact same way during their 1st shot. I then take them back to the shop but the guy says "they're done" as refering to the product failing. I do feel its more of the shops fault but I did want to argue something I knew lil about. The shop still charged me for these Nocturnals but I haven't shot them yet. I'm thinking about going back to the shop and having them order me new lumenoks but wanted yalls advice 1st.
Although I am extremely pleased and have a lot invested in the Lumenoks for my BEA Zombie Slayers there seems to be some forum members who swear by the Nu-Fletch Archery's "Ignitor" product for its extreme ease in extinguishing the light after a shot. Since it's a light stick/battery which actually goes inside of a screw in nock it can be changed/turned off by unscrewing the nock and then turning it off. For practice shooting the light stick does not even have to be inside the arrow.

Again, I have no experience with them and I love my Lumenoks (as long as you have Danny Miller's "arra puller" to extinguish the light) I have ordered a couple of 3 packs to give them a whirl...If they are not my cup of tea I will just sell them....

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
shooter00

Post by shooter00 »

Anthony,
The Nufletch are not screw in.
You simply twist it out with a pulling motion and push it back in till the lip sits with about a 32nds or so inch gap from the aluminum ferrule.

Some of them might be tight at first,if so you can take some very fine sand paper and go around the outer edge of the insert and smooth them a little to make them easier to pull out.

Just don't go nuts sanding it takes very little to make them an easier fit....You'll see what I'm talking about when you get them in hand.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

The 'gear like' nock is an Omni nock introduced by Ten Point. It's perfectly safe to use with bows normally using flat nocks. Nock is intended to prevent dryfires by keeping arrow from slipping from string.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!