twisting the string to shorten it

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

MSG (Retired)

twisting the string to shorten it

Post by MSG (Retired) »

I'm new to the forum and new to crossbow shooting! When I twist the string to shorten it to get the right brace height can I leave one end on the limb and just twist the other end or do I have to twist both ends. I did see a post that said I need to twist in a counter clockwise direction.
hotdog

Re: twisting the string to shorten it

Post by hotdog »

I always just twist from one end leaving the other attached to the limb. Hope this helps.
Bulldog 440
Matrix 380
Munch Quiver Mounts
Leupold Crossbones Scope
MSG (Retired)

Post by MSG (Retired) »

Thanks, that's what I needed.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Ive always had a problem w/ clockwise/counter clockwise, but I'm left handed, lol. For me, when I adj my bheight, the xbow is on my lap, so it's clock wise for me.

If you do it on a table and are standing off to the side, my clock wise becomes counter clock wise.

The important thing to remember is your serving direction, don't 'loosen' it........
"Eze 18:21"
roly

Post by roly »

X2 on the southpaw

it's always back a$$ward
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

awshucks wrote:Ive always had a problem w/ clockwise/counter clockwise, but I'm left handed, lol. For me, when I adj my bheight, the xbow is on my lap, so it's clock wise for me.

If you do it on a table and are standing off to the side, my clock wise becomes counter clock wise.

The important thing to remember is your serving direction, don't 'loosen' it........
I'm left handed too, but CC should be the same, no matter what hand one uses. It must be an Arkansas thing. :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
wabi

Post by wabi »

UPSMAN wrote:
awshucks wrote:Ive always had a problem w/ clockwise/counter clockwise, but I'm left handed, lol. For me, when I adj my bheight, the xbow is on my lap, so it's clock wise for me.

I'm left handed too, but CC should be the same, no matter what hand one uses. It must be an Arkansas thing. :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:
Could be they got their clocks from the Navy's electrician schools. We had a week of classes on electric motors that included how to reverse rotation on the motors used in clocks. The clock in that classroom was running counter-clockwise most of the time. :lol:
wabi
Hot Pepper Dude

Post by Hot Pepper Dude »

Hi. An excellent question. Me, I twist in each direction as I hold the string in my hands. What's good for the left is also good for the right. Keeping it equal and centered is what I try to achieve.

Regards, H.P.D.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

One end off the limb, looking straight at it, LH twist, just like loosening a screw!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

You guys are killin me, lol. I take the string off of the rt limb tip, sitting between the limb tips[/].

I'm seeing clockwise turns. If you were standing to my right outside of the limbs you'd see counter clockwise turns.

It's all in where you stand/sit, left-right handed has nada to do w/ it.
Last edited by awshucks on Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

You fusing these folks! :lol: :lol:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

You fusing these folks!
It's ok, I've had this argument before.......sooner or later someone will try it and see my point...... :mrgreen:
Starvin' Hillbilly

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

UPSMAN wrote:
:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

Left handers :lol: what do you do with them? I am left handed and I put the string on the left tip first and the right side next and when I twist its the right side CCW. Now I cock with my right foot but un-cock with my left
If I were to put the string on the right tip first then I would twist the left side CW to shorten but that's not normal for me. Just look for the way the string was twisted when made
strum

Post by strum »

It's ok, I've had this argument before.......sooner or later someone will try it and see my point...... :mrgreen:[/quote]

believe it or not I understand what yer saying there Shucks .
I always take the string off the right side so it is CCW for me but if I took it off the left it would be CW if I look at it from the serving out to the end of the string. but regardless of the side you twist if you look at it from the end then its CCW.
Guys there is absolutely no need to twist both sides. when you put twists in the string from whichever end you choose and the put the limb pressure back on , it evens itself out.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16