Kids and crossbows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

kmaxwell5

Kids and crossbows

Post by kmaxwell5 »

So I have a Axiom and love it. So this year I told my 11 yr old daughter and my almost 8 yr old son that if they practiced and showed me they could shoot good I would let them try for there first deer. We hunt out of pop up blinds and have together for last couple of years. I have a Primos trigger stick that I shoot off of while hunting out of the blinds to help steady my shooting. So I got it out today and put the target at 20 yards. My son has to stand up while shooting but with the trigger stick he is dead on at 20 yards every shot. My daughter is shooting little high at 20 yards but she is doing good. I do hold the trigger stick steady for them and control the safety but besides that they are doing all of it on there own. I am ready for the 13th so we can get started.
JPjunkie

Re: Kids and crossbows

Post by JPjunkie »

That's what its all about Good on you :D
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
Starvin' Hillbilly

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

Dad said one of the best things he ever did was to get us into crossbow hunting, It teaches us patience and to pick that right shot and spot . . .not to be just a shoot'n hair!

Good job!
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

My son Colton is pretty small for his age(12), so I built a small table for the pop-up blinds and use a folding bi-pod on the front of the crossbow. It just clamps on the sling swivel at the front. Made the table low enough that with the bi-pod it came up to about the right height to shoot out of the window of the pop-up. I found that he like to fool with anything adjustable so this just makes one less thing for him to mess with.( I started off with a "bull bag" on the table and he can fiddle with that for hours! :lol: ) The Harris bi-pod knock offs are pretty cheap as well. Just a thought.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

If you hunt with your kids you won't hunt for them later.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Very good, get them youngsters into the sport to preserve it long into the future. Sounds like they will be enjoying some of their own fruit of THEIR labor. :D :D
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
kmaxwell5

Post by kmaxwell5 »

flightattendant100 wrote:My son Colton is pretty small for his age(12), so I built a small table for the pop-up blinds and use a folding bi-pod on the front of the crossbow. It just clamps on the sling swivel at the front. Made the table low enough that with the bi-pod it came up to about the right height to shoot out of the window of the pop-up. I found that he like to fool with anything adjustable so this just makes one less thing for him to mess with.( I started off with a "bull bag" on the table and he can fiddle with that for hours! :lol: ) The Harris bi-pod knock offs are pretty cheap as well. Just a thought.
Thought about something like that. Thanks for the idea!!
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

I'm glad you're hunting with your kids thats awesome. My wife was having problems shooting a ground blind and someone suggested a Caldwell dead shot field pod so I bought one of those and they are awesome it was the best $75.00 I spent with helping her get steady. The Field Pod will hold the crossbow and swivel from side to side making it awesome from anyone shooting from a sitting position. Good Luck and happy hunting
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Cossack wrote:If you hunt with your kids you won't hunt for them later.

...Amen and just soooo true!

Anthony :D
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Glad to hear your including the kids!! :D :D
Only problem i see ( if you can call it that ) is it won't take them long to be wanting their own excal!! :D :lol:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

georgiaboy wrote:Glad to hear your including the kids!! :D :D
Only problem i see ( if you can call it that ) is it won't take them long to be wanting their own excal!! :D :lol:

....so true...that is what happened with both my boys!! cha ching! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings