What's the best way to do ground up deer meat?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

RonnieM

What's the best way to do ground up deer meat?

Post by RonnieM »

Going to ground up my deer meat today. Some people say put beef fat in it others say why ruin good deer meat. What the best way to do it since some will made in hamburgers, the rest chilly, tacos and such.
"He is not a fool to gives the things he cannot keep, to gain the things which he cannot lose"
Rusty Gate

Re: What's the best way to do ground up deer meat?

Post by Rusty Gate »

I leave mine straight venison.

However remember that when the time comes and your taste dictates a blend you can mix the blend you need for the recipe chosen right b/f cooking. I like ground pork shoulder...2 parts venison to 1 part pork for most of what I do. But as anything in life, go with what works for your taste. Hope this helps!
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

I do 2 lbs of beef fat to every 10 lbs of Deer meat for burgers and a little more fat when I make deer sausage ...you need the fat to help cook it and to make it stick together.
For taco meat just straight deer meat
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

I like mine with 10% beef fat added. We use it for everything you would use ground beef for. The first time I had some ground into burger I didn't add fat. I'm not sure if it was the lack of fat or if I got some bad meat but it was so rank and gamey tasting we couldn't eat it, even in stuff like chili with lots of other seasonings it was awful. Fed it to the dogs :(
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

for the best burger go buy a few pork butts shoulders bone them out and add them to your grind .adds some garlic and pepper yummy D
addicted to canadian beaver
PSEWOOD

Post by PSEWOOD »

I add cheap beef hamburger about 25%.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Kegbelly wrote:I like mine with 10% beef fat added. We use it for everything you would use ground beef for. The first time I had some ground into burger I didn't add fat. I'm not sure if it was the lack of fat or if I got some bad meat but it was so rank and gamey tasting we couldn't eat it, even in stuff like chili with lots of other seasonings it was awful. Fed it to the dogs :(
Hey Keg, a friend of mine made some chilly with a rutted up buck and it was inedible. The fat has nothing to do with it, it's the animal. As for me, I don't want anything added to it. If I'm making sausage I'll add 25% pork fat. As the chefs say, pork fat rules. Other than that, straight deer. :wink:
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
RonnieM

Post by RonnieM »

Ok. Going to try different things to see what we like best for hamburgers the rest will be straight ground deer. What ratio do I mix with pork butt to deer for good burgers
"He is not a fool to gives the things he cannot keep, to gain the things which he cannot lose"
Bones

Post by Bones »

paulaboutform wrote:
Kegbelly wrote:I like mine with 10% beef fat added. We use it for everything you would use ground beef for. The first time I had some ground into burger I didn't add fat. I'm not sure if it was the lack of fat or if I got some bad meat but it was so rank and gamey tasting we couldn't eat it, even in stuff like chili with lots of other seasonings it was awful. Fed it to the dogs :(
Hey Keg, a friend of mine made some chilly with a rutted up buck and it was inedible. The fat has nothing to do with it, it's the animal. As for me, I don't want anything added to it. If I'm making sausage I'll add 25% pork fat. As the chefs say, pork fat rules. Other than that, straight deer. :wink:
I'm a firm believer in what the animal dine's on , Around our cottage central Ontario ( full bush no field's ) they are the most gamey thing's i've tried . Cut a few open and there full of fern's , cedar bow's ? No wonder, I'll take a southern ontario grain, corn, alfalfa fed one any time. For summer sausage we alway's add 20-30 % pork , but for burger from deer around my home .. nothing.
mbc4

Post by mbc4 »

skittle has it right 20% beef fat for both burger and sausage, maybe a little more for sausage. it will tame some of the gamier flavor. some people like straight deer burger, i'm not a fan. deer roasts are good especially done in a smoker. congrats on ur harvest.
better an overkill than an underkill
vortex,vixenmaster string
2219s, abc steel sonics
Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege.
strum

Post by strum »

We grind ours and put it up straight. that way if I want to add something before I cook I can ..other wise im struck with what I mixed.
last year I was to lazy to do one and I took it to the processor ..just wanted it ground but he added some kind of sausage flavoring..i didn't like it and gave quiet a bit of it away..
this year ill be doing the grinding. :D
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Oppie

Post by Oppie »

Neighbor and me add local smoked bacon when we grind it an do a double grind.

If I get a strong buck, I can em with garlic cloves an salt. :mrgreen:
Just Makin Wine on the Hill!
Exocet 200 wth Leupold Crossbones, Munch mount
xcaliber FFF strings
VM FFF Strings
Black Eagles Executioners Wth Blazers
Slick Trick 100
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I use a 30% pork ratio to 70% venison on all my hamburger/sausage & summer sausage. All the rest i do jus the venison & season to taste :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

We leave ours straight also - I only add to it for sausage. I don't usually use it for burgers. Mostly for chili and spag sauce.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
kmaxwell5

Post by kmaxwell5 »

We grind up smoked bacon and mix it with the deer meat to make hamburgers meatloaf and meat balls.