Deer ribs

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

kmaxwell5

Deer ribs

Post by kmaxwell5 »

Ok guys I try and use every part of every deer we shoot at my house. Well I never really thought about keeping the ribs. So the 7pt I shot Saturday I decided to keep them and have the wonderful wife cook them up. Well she put a dry rub on them and stuck them in her crock pot for the last 8 hours and then put it on low temp and added bbq sauce. Well people let me just say I will never throw away a good set of deer ribs ever again!! They are great, and its a lot more meat on them than you think. Give it a try well worth the effort. :D
one shot scott

Re: Deer ribs

Post by one shot scott »

good to know

I've always been told that they are gamey due to the high fat content in that area and have been using them in the ground meat.

perhaps its worth a try!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
rayman

Post by rayman »

We used to keep ribs if someone shot a young deer in the neck or something and had some fat on it and if we were going to be standing around the grill all afternoon drinking beer and listening to football on the radio. Good finger food that way while hot. :)

We can watch football on tv now inside the house so we don't stand outside around the grill any more. Like a bunch of spoiled kids. :)
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Ribs make good Ragu meat. Remove all the outer layer tallow, brown in a skillet, then put in a crock pot cooked in tomato sauce, with whatever spices you like, until the meat almost falls off the bone. Remove ribs to be eaten as side dish, pour tomato sauce over your favorite pasta.

MMM MMM GOOD.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

I add it to my sausage meat.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Starvin' Hillbilly

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

ok . .. i'll probably get flamed on this but this is what it do.

W/ hog or wild hog and deer of course get yer racks of ribs . . . on deer i take a bandsaw to them and get as many 3 inch and 4 inch racks as i can . . . rub them to get the bone particles off then wash'em and coil'm up and freeze'm

Ok to cook'm if you want to skip the above part . . . put your ribs in a pot and pour coca cola over'm to cover them, and boil real slow, the heat and coke will eat the tallow/ excessive fat and pull the wild hog out of the meat (if you're using hog) tenderize it and push some of that caramel from the coke in the meat.

when you can grab a rack and it almost pulls apart your done w/ this step. put them on a rack put your rubb all over them (make my own wild game rubb w/ smoked salt) and put them on a hot grill (hot coals or gas) the take your BBQ, mop sauce and glaze them and bake it on . . . from start to finish . . . 4 hours

oh yeah . . . and ice cold beer!

Ken
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
tex45acp

Post by tex45acp »

I have always boned mine out for chili and always add a little ground pork for fat content. Makes some really good Texas Red!!
DryFire

Post by DryFire »

I use a narrow 8" fillet knife to get the meat from between the ribs, it works great. We grind the strips with other scraps and make extruded "Slim Jim" type smoked sausages. Very tasty with little waste.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I'll give it a try. I'm a convert after making some wonderful 'veal' shanks and alos great barley vegetable soup out parts that most folks throw.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
gregs

Post by gregs »

Ken I'm going to try the cola. We slow grill em with a rub, or brown them in a frying pan and bake in the oven real slow with homemade bbq sauce.
jparchery

Post by jparchery »

the ribs are great if cooked slow in a tomato sauce, cook for long and on low
Bayou Boy

Post by Bayou Boy »

Meat Eaters don't waste much.

Rib stew with potatoes and carrots and some cold brew now we getting somewhere. That's how we roll in the bayou country.