Anyone Use a Ghillie Suit? What Brand?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

amythntr

Anyone Use a Ghillie Suit? What Brand?

Post by amythntr »

....not being one who adores climbing...I have been hearing success stories of some using a Ghillie Suit....after a little research it is apparent that there are a few on the market...all at different price ranges and apparent quality.

Any comment with regard to usage AND/OR has anyone HEARD/USED the product sold by "camoadvantage.com"?

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
nchunterkw

Re: Anyone Use a Ghillie Suit? What Brand?

Post by nchunterkw »

I have been using soem typ eof 3D camo since about 1997 with great success. AT first I wore "Leafy Wear" from Cabelas and it worked fine.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... 750&rid=20

But I wanted to up the game a little bit this year. I have been using this one this year. I think I paid $80 for it in the summer. Now it's on sale for $69.99

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/p ... t&i=763020

I think any will do the job as it's more about the 3D part than the color.
I like the flexibility it gives as you can setup anywhere as dictated by wind conditions etc. Downside is my new one is a bit warm in the early season.

Another thing I considered was a portable mirror/reflective blind like a Ghost Blind. I think this would work very well. Just might be heavy to carry around.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Does the gillie suit interfere or get in the way when trying to shoot?
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

nchunterkw wrote:I have been using soem typ eof 3D camo since about 1997 with great success. AT first I wore "Leafy Wear" from Cabelas and it worked fine.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... 750&rid=20

But I wanted to up the game a little bit this year. I have been using this one this year. I think I paid $80 for it in the summer. Now it's on sale for $69.99

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/p ... t&i=763020

I think any will do the job as it's more about the 3D part than the color.
I like the flexibility it gives as you can setup anywhere as dictated by wind conditions etc. Downside is my new one is a bit warm in the early season.

Another thing I considered was a portable mirror/reflective blind like a Ghost Blind. I think this would work very well. Just might be heavy to carry around.

I own the ghostblind...I believe it would work great for turkey and if and only if you know which way the deer are coming in because your back is open. Yes you could if possible close yourself in and or back up into a blowdown if possible. Also, it is cumbersome (not heavy) to carry in . It is well made and the carrying case is well made....

I will check out your links...thanks!

In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
RexKay

Post by RexKay »

I got the one from Gander Mtn. I have the green version. I wish I would have got the brown one, cuz there warm, and we all know its cooler when the leaves fall :D Also, the leg bottoms snag on everything. It does come with a bag,if you can pack it all in, I suggest putting it on, at least the pants, and your hunting site. And yes the work!! I spray the area with buck bomb, and had deer walk up 10 ft. From me. Shot a spike on State Land using one and my trusty vortex 3 yrs back.
I like things with strings.....
4 Guitars
8 Excals
1 Scorpyd
PSE Tac Elite
13 Grayling Bears
And 2 Hoyts
needmorebacon

Post by needmorebacon »

I really like the one from all predator calls.

its called the kill suit

http://www.allpredatorcalls.com/allpred ... -apc003ww/

works really well.Thats more of my turkey suit

This one works really well in the fall time.
http://www.allpredatorcalls.com/kill-su ... -apc007pp/
2011 Axiom
GT Laser II-Right Helical
175gr. Slick Tricks
353 gr. overall bolt
StormDragon

Post by StormDragon »

Im gonna try using a Ghillie this season for the first time using a used Red Rock I bought from someone. I think the pattern is called Woodland but Im not positive

Here are some before pics and then a couple after ones involving some burlap and rattle can I used to modify it some.

Before

After

What Im going to be using with my Ghillie
Micro 335 Nightmare: Morning Star

Elite Synergy; Krampus
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....way cool Stormdragon...keep us posted on how it works...Paulaboutform queried whether it would block or interfere in the firing of the crossbow...I would question the same thing!

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Michiganhunter

Post by Michiganhunter »

Awesome Stormdragon even that cat has no idea that you're in the room.... :D
380 Matrix Extra
Hawke XB 30 Compact
Easton 2216 19 " 388gr... 378fps
100gr Spitfire/Wasp Jak-Hammer
Trigger Tech trigger
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

Check out the Camo Systems" "Jackal" (just google it or amazon has them.

The knit suits like in the pictures look great but they are horrible in real hunting. They catch on everything you touch, you'll spend half your time unhooking yourself from the woods.

No offence to Stormdragon. That's a great looking suit and I know it took a lot of work. I built one just like it a few years back. Wore it once. Now it hangs in the mancave as a conversation piece.

Burlap suits are heavy, and when they get wet, its wet for days. Then it molds and stinks.

I have tried em all.

The camo systems "Jackal" is absolutely hands down the best there is. Its pattern and break up are excellent, its essentially mold proof. It dries almost completely by just shaking it out and it hardly catches on anything. they are built to last and well thought out. I have three I like em so much and I use them a lot.
In the Wind.......
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

i have 3 different types the poncho works quite well itgrabs every thing i would shorten it a bit if you were stalking.just sitting works good the bush suite like the poncho grabs every thing again just sitting it ok. the best one is the jackel it does not pick up anything its the best
StormDragon

Post by StormDragon »

Thanks guys and no offense taken See.

It's Def heavy and warm (not sure how much it weighs), but I will work with it and as far as getting wet and soaking up a lot of water etc, I don't "plan" on being out in the rain/snow but I did use two cans of heavy duty camp dry on it to help just in case or for heavy dew etc

And as far as shooting with it goes, I shot with it a couple times (full cycle from cockpit to shooting) and knock on wood everything went ok. Will hopefully get more practice in it this weekend if the weather and temps cooperate :-)
Micro 335 Nightmare: Morning Star

Elite Synergy; Krampus
cevans

Post by cevans »

With the poncho type, I use a 1/8 piece of black shock chord that goes around it and my waste to keep it from catching on everything. Still catches on briars and multi rosa. How about the guilie suits? How they hold up in stickers and stick tights, cockle burrs? do the suits loadup on these?
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's

Stalking is the game! Stand Hunt too.
hawg hunter

Post by hawg hunter »

i'retired with bad knees &back.two different ghilles. one forest green for archery deer season and turkeys in the spring. the other is desert brown for south texas brush country stalking hogs and night hunting hogs under the full moon .,safariland brand very hot when wet . work very well but tangle in brush country of south texas must walk in the senderos.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

amythntr wrote:....way cool Stormdragon...keep us posted on how it works...Paulaboutform queried whether it would block or interfere in the firing of the crossbow...I would question the same thing!

Posted about this yesterday but apparently it didn't go up.

My suit does not interfere with firing the bow at all. I too was concerned but when you sit down and try it out you will see there is a lot of clearance to the string. All the long stuff hanging off StormDragons head, might be an issue though.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><