One TOUGH shaft !!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

styks

One TOUGH shaft !!

Post by styks »

Just thought I'd share my findings with this shaft/bolt with you hunters.

I have the M405 and was shooting the factory Diablo bolts but I found them to be less durable than I'd like, breaking them left right and center tbh.
So looking for a tougher heavier shaft I bought 24 GT Laser IV shafts and components, I live in the UK and no one stocks them here. :(
At first I built them at 20" using 60gr inserts, 125gr bullet field points, ally nocks (which I reduced in weight from 20gr to 14gr for better FOC) and fletched with Blazer X2's for a total weight of just under 500gr. They shot well but I wanted reduce weight some so I shortened them to 18" taking them to around 470gr with an FOC of just of around 17.3% using same components as above.
Haven't chronoed them yet but at 500gr 350fps, so I guessing at 470 they'll be around 370fps.

Tried them out yesterday, sighted in for 20-30-40 and 50 yrds, selected correct tape for my optimiser and went out testing.
My first shot off hand standing at 80 yrds to see if the tape on optimiser was on the mark, thump straight in my 9" Xbow unloader hanging off a tree limb, great!

I practice by throwing my old Xbow unloader 9" ball and where it lands I estimate the range and take the shot, a great way of learning to estimate range.

Anyhow, on three occasions I missed the ball hitting the ground, one hit soft earth and the Judo point flicked it up (great points to save losing your bolts).
The other two hit rock full on, one at about 35yrds the other around 42yrds. I thought ok that's two bolts bust!
Well, on retiving them, one had broken the Judo point clean off, the other bent, both shafts to my amasement were perfect, flexed and insepected them closely, not a chip or crack anywhere. :shock: ..... The Diablo's would've been dead for sure!

So basically after all my waffle, I do waffle on a lot I know :lol:
If you guy's want one hell of a tough and accurate heavy shaft I recomend the GT Laser IV's very highly! .....
BoltCutter

Re: One TOUGH shaft !!

Post by BoltCutter »

Sounds like a tough shaft to me!
I am also from the UK and wondering where did you manage to purchase these from? im guessing you had to import them in from somewhere. what kind of price did you end up paying for these? would like to get hold of some and give them a go myself!

Ryan
Ibex SMF
Gold Tip Laser II
styks

Post by styks »

Hi Ryan,
Yes one hell of a shaft, toughest and stiffest you're likely to find I feel, due to that thick wall. Still shooting very well, yet to bust one and that's saying something where I shoot, bit of an arrow/bolt grave yard.

I got them through Outdoor hobbies, had to wait three weeks though. Gary is a decent chap and keen, no complaints, but next time I'll import them from Wyvern Creations. Very good company, I'll get them quicker and cheaper I think. At this rate though it'll be a long time before I need more. Drop them a mail, Davids a good guy also, he'll sort it for you no doubt.

Can't remember price off the top of my head sorry, I think Outdoor hobbies have them listed but as a complete bolt, costly! He got the bare shafts and components in for me, much cheaper.

I'm finding no need but they do a pro version, .001 I think? .... Couldn't stretch to them but I bet they're an awesome shaft.

ATB, Styks.
BoltCutter

Post by BoltCutter »

Thanks for the information :)

I have visited Outdoorhobbies and have just ordered some! looking forward to trying them out. why is all the good stuff so hard to find over here haha

i have also looked at importing certain things, but not sure exactly how badly i would get stung for the import duties and VAT once they arrive into the country.

Regards,
Ryan
Ibex SMF
Gold Tip Laser II