First Time (well second but) Out with 380 Super Beast

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mike w

First Time (well second but) Out with 380 Super Beast

Post by mike w »

Finally got to christen my 380 in early Doe season yesterday (special regulation area in PA) and all I have to say is DEAR LORD!!!! I shot my first Deer with my 380 Matrix (using Xact mechanical broadheads) facing head on at about 15 yards.
She only presented a front neck shot. Being a long time vertical bow hunter, this is a shot I kind of avoid in this particular area because it's very thick with vegetation and tracking back there can be a nightmare if you don't get a blood trail. No problem with the 380, what power!!!
The bolt entered just to her left side of the wind pipe, pierced her entire cavity, then exited out just in front of the back right hock without missing a beat.
While I don't advocate cowboy shots and irresponsible shooting, I can tell you that I really don't care how the Animal present itself, pretty sure I can find a workable angle on it with what this old girl just showed me yesterday! :D
Lake shooter

Re: First Time (well second but) Out with 380 Super Beast

Post by Lake shooter »

Congrats! Yes, the 380 is a beast of a machine!!!!

If she had been facing the other way you would have been presented with the proverbial "Texas heart shot"! :lol: 8) :wink:

No disrespect to fellow Texans there; Corpus Christi is my home town, I went to first, fifth, six grades and started my senior year there, and will always consider Texas home!
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

mike w wrote:Finally got to christen my 380 in early Doe season yesterday (special regulation area in PA) and all I have to say is DEAR LORD!!!! I shot my first Deer with my 380 Matrix (using Xact mechanical broadheads) facing head on at about 15 yards.
She only presented a front neck shot. Being a long time vertical bow hunter, this is a shot I kind of avoid in this particular area because it's very thick with vegetation and tracking back there can be a nightmare if you don't get a blood trail. No problem with the 380, what power!!!
The bolt entered just to her left side of the wind pipe, pierced her entire cavity, then exited out just in front of the back right hock without missing a beat.
While I don't advocate cowboy shots and irresponsible shooting, I can tell you that I really don't care how the Animal present itself, pretty sure I can find a workable angle on it with what this old girl just showed me yesterday! :D
Congrats on the doe and I totally agree with the shot presentation and the decision to shoot....

I had the exact same shot presented to me last year with my Barnett Quad400 (recently sold) doe came out twice and looked at my blind pretty much head on...Ist time just stamping her hoof and the second time stamping her hoof and snorting...I made the decision to shoot at 31yds...entered the right side of her chest facing me and exited in front of her left leg facing me...barely went 40 yds...

....sounds like you are shooting the standard Diablo setup with the ExActs...they are surely deadly.

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
mike w

Post by mike w »

If she had been facing the other way you would have been presented with the proverbial "Texas heart shot"! :lol: 8) :wink:

Tell you what, I would NOT shy from that shot. Pretty sure (at least @ 15 yards) it will close the deal! (might be a little messy but that's why god made hoses...) :lol: :lol:
Last edited by mike w on Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
mike w

Post by mike w »

....sounds like you are shooting the standard Diablo setup with the ExActs...they are surely deadly.

Yep standard set up. Not knowing much about cross bows when I first purchased mine, I was confident that getting started I'd be in great hands with the engineering of these guys and boy I'm glad I extended that trust to these folks! I will get some fun stuff and play around in time, but for now, everything about this bow and bolts reeks of efficiency!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I would take that shot with either Excal. I have. No problem getting the job done with these babies. You just have to make sure your aim is true! Congrats on the deer.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats to you on yer nice deer
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Congrats on the deer!
These bows are awesome and a great confidence booster but crap happens when ya least expect it. A neck shot is one that I would do but I helped field dress a deer that was done Texas heart shot. It ain't pretty and a good way to ruin meat with contamination.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
mike w

Post by mike w »

Thanks Xcalibur! When you harvest one with a new toy, it feels like the first one! She's all butchered up and in the freezer. This Saturday Buck opens up, maybe we'll get another one! :D
mike w

Post by mike w »

one shot scott wrote:Congrats on the deer!
These bows are awesome and a great confidence booster but crap happens when ya least expect it. A neck shot is one that I would do but I helped field dress a deer that was done Texas heart shot. It ain't pretty and a good way to ruin meat with contamination.
Good point, maybe I'll wait for 'em to turn a bit... Probably wouldn't want the tenderloins after that... :?
mike w

Post by mike w »

Thanks Vixen!
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

mike w wrote:....sounds like you are shooting the standard Diablo setup with the ExActs...they are surely deadly.

Yep standard set up. Not knowing much about cross bows when I first purchased mine, I was confident that getting started I'd be in great hands with the engineering of these guys and boy I'm glad I extended that trust to these folks! I will get some fun stuff and play around in time, but for now, everything about this bow and bolts reeks of efficiency!
....not surprised. My son shot a monster 8 last week with standard string and arra's with his M380...he used the fixed boltcutters and had the Lumenok beacon manning the tail....great to know how good OEM really is with this bow...

....other than issues with the Tact Zone and the trigger (which everyone has been able to work out)...OEM standard issue torpedos work extremely well!

In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
mike w

Post by mike w »

amythntr wrote:
mike w wrote:....so

....other than issues with the Tact Zone and the trigger (which everyone has been able to work out)...OEM standard issue torpedos work extremely well!

I've had issues with the scope too. Got a replacement then learned the value of lok-toght blue and all is well. I can't express how very grateful for this cross bow. Couple little kinks worked out and I could not be more happy with it. It is changing hunting for me in the Fall (for the better). I really am also grateful for PA allowing cross bows to be permitted in bow season. It is simply a more human, effiecient way of harvesting. I will always love my vertical bow, no doubt, but that may assume the role (and an important one) for Squirrels and Rabbits!