Aint Starvin"!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Starvin' Hillbilly

Aint Starvin"!

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

well, I aint starvin'!, Since Arkansas season opener on Saturday I've been out in the woods trying my best to bloody my 355. On 9/26 I went over to dads and we went out early and put up deer stands and when we got back to the house we called it a day and went and had a burger.

On Saturday morning got up at 430 am, choked down a couple cups of coffee and after a 2 mile ATV ride I got at the climber at 545 am. Up the red oak I went until I hit my 20ft mark and as I promised the wife and daughter I wore my safety belt.

As the woods started to wake heard some owls call up one another, then the occasional quail chime in as the squirrels awoke from their slumber in their nests . . . this is my church, this is my religion, then right on queue the dam crows start in. I guess at this time I made all my final adjustments because God knows I aint going to be heard over the racket! They probably located one of the owls that I heard earlier, I tell ya its almost enough to drive ya to drink.
i sat there till 930-10am not a thing, heck i could even see across a 300yard field and nothing. as the sweat started pouring i checked to see that it was 86F. I went and gathered up dad and back to the house. He started breakfast and I showered and I finished it. After, we sat there and rolled our eyes as the temps climbed to 92F. We headed back out that evening (Saturday) and returned with our heat headaches, re-showered and tried to cool down before we ate.

Sunday the same thing, was hoping that the 55F would have stayed around all day, but like a crude joke at 11am it was 88F . . .don't see how folks can hunt in hotter climates, but they do . . .and even w/ a smile.
Got home Sunday night, and checked some feeders at the back of my property, both are gravity fed and both were empty. I refilled them and told the Mrs. i was going to try in the morning at the back of our property.

I guess I got set up at 545am, just sat there enjoying the woods waking up. I could hear the neighbors one by one leave out for the daily grind. About 620 here they came . . . a doe w/ 1 fawn and in tow was the old gray doe. Been watching her all winter and this spring, surprised that she made thru the winter and she was still dry. Well, i hoped they would have stopped at 20 yards but they trotted on past old doe still drag'n. I barked like a squirrel to get her to stop but she kept on, I barked louder and she stopped between 30-40 yards. Right before I pulled my head down into the scope I pulled the executioner back to make sure it was against the string. I settled the next down X hair on the crease behind the shoulder and squeezed, the next thing she did was give a mule kick and on down the trail she went. I heard a crash I thought so I got down, gathered up my gear and walked back to the house. The wife was about ready for work and asked if I got a "flower eater" I told her I'd just shot one but got to track her up. Back to the woods I went and I stood where I had shot her. I ranged the tree I was in, 36 yards . . .being a rookie w/ xbows i thought wow!

Well, i found my first blood, it was red, not dark but not foamy pink either . . . really wished it was the foamy pink . . .and a shock came across me . .a liver shot? I kept easing and looking, not a lot of blood, just here and there. I came across my arrow. Blood from one end to the other, 2 of the blades on the Trocar will have to be replaced, aint no sharpening them up. I eased forward and seen her lay on her side. I went ahead and tracked to her and as I got there i noticed a heart shot, (I guess if nothing pumps it aint going to squirt out) The exit was through her right shoulder. From hit to crash . . .30 yards.

A thanks to Excalibur for making an accurate, no nonsense xbow that builds confidence in those shots and a thanks to all on the forum. A lot of time I have no input (too Green) but i have been reading and listening to yours . . . thank you!

Ken
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
xcaliber

Re: Aint Starvin"!

Post by xcaliber »

Congrats Ken! Nice shot, you're on the board now! :D
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
cevans

Post by cevans »

Nice kill. Glad you got the bow broke in. After reading your nice story about your hunt, I ain't complaining now about our mid 80's in the evening for Oct. 1 opening day as its that hot here now. At least thurs, nite we have a cold front and rain coming in and going to cool us down towards the weekend. Will be out in the rain hunting too. Good luck on your future hunts and enjoy!
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's

Stalking is the game! Stand Hunt too.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Great job!
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Great shooting Killer! It's nice when it all comes together,great pic!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
frisky

Post by frisky »

Congrats on your doe! :D
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Thanks Ken for the story . :)
It keeps us ones without a season yet pumped up . Can`t wait for this weekend . Even if we don`t see anything . We still are out . :)
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
RexKay

Post by RexKay »

Great shot! great story! Great all around. Congrats !!
I like things with strings.....
4 Guitars
8 Excals
1 Scorpyd
PSE Tac Elite
13 Grayling Bears
And 2 Hoyts
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

Congratulations
bbahunter

Post by bbahunter »

Congrats!
Suppressor 355
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Congrats on a nice big doe and great shot glad youll able to break that 355 in.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
tammie

Post by tammie »

good job! :D
matrix 380 w grim reaper 125 grain (midevil 2) equinox w boltcutter 150 grain (midevil 1)
strum

Post by strum »

I really enjoyed the story ..congrats!!!
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

great story !!! you had me on my toes there for a bit....the sounds of awakening
morning is also "my church" !!! I like that.... and will remember 8)

it takes great equipment, location and most of all a great operator to do what you did. and we hope you get many more this season. good luck and be safe !!

ours will open 10/25 and its getting hard to breath now....enjoy !!!
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Congrats A.S.H.. Great story and pic. Nice shooting dead eye. :wink:
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.