Help. Matrix 405

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mandej

Help. Matrix 405

Post by mandej »

I am having a problem with my new Matrix 405 Mega I can't figure out. I have built it and sited it in and with the practice tips it shoots right on up to 50 yards with no issues. The problem came when deer season approached and I tried the set up with my broad heads. I was shooting the Rage 125 grain crossbow heads and every time I shot the arrow went 3 feet above the target at 20 yards. When I went back to the practice tip it was fine. I figured the broad heads were opening due to the speed of the new crossbow so I installed 125 grain muzzys and I have the exact same problem. The broad heads seem to be clearing he stir up fine too? Any ideas?
8ptbuk

Re: Help. Matrix 405

Post by 8ptbuk »

Could you give us a little more detail about your setup ? Arrows , fletching , inserts , string , Brace Height adj . Thanks
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

If you are shooting the field tips that came with the 405 package they are 150 grains. You said you're broadheads are 125 grains. That might be part of your problem.... the lighter broadhead will shoot a bit higher. Three feet high at 20 yards is pretty extreme though, I don't know if a 25-grain difference would affect it that much :?: Are you shooting the same arrows and just changing tips or shooting different arrows?
Welcome to the forum BTW :D
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
mandej

Post by mandej »

I am using the same arrows each time, the ones that came in the package which I believe are diablos. I purchased 125 grain practice tips so I do not think that is the difference. The arrow when shot also sounds different like it isn't flying straight but at that speed it is very difficult to watch the exact flight to be sure. Thanks for your help BTW.
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

OK your tips and 'heads weight the same... field tips shoot fine, but two different broadheads sail high.... did you by chance wrap the stirrup with anything? Assuming you are loading the arrow and seating it properly each time, sounds like the broadheads are making contact somewhere they don't need to, and the only thing in front of the broadhead is the stirrup....
Matrix 380
Exomag
mandej

Post by mandej »

no wrapping. It does not appear to be hitting the stirrup unless the arrow drops 1/2 inch upon firing. I am thinking about cocking the bow and taking off the stir up and trying a shot though just to completely eliminate that.
Michiganhunter

Post by Michiganhunter »

Did you cut the arrows down? If so check for square at the front insert. Even mechanicals can plane if they are being installed crooked on the arrow. Field points won't be affected by this condition.
380 Matrix Extra
Hawke XB 30 Compact
Easton 2216 19 " 388gr... 378fps
100gr Spitfire/Wasp Jak-Hammer
Trigger Tech trigger
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Are your arrows LITERALLY hitting three feet high or are you just adding a little flare? How's the left and right?
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Did you sight in using yer BH's ? Or are you shooting like the blind leading the blind? Lots of times field pts n BH's have diff spots they hit. Shootin a Rage out of a 405 maybe causin the blades to open & its planing off
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
mandej

Post by mandej »

I am three feet high. hitting over the back of the deer target every time at 30 yards. Not exaggerating but the arrow is taking off straight up. the left and right appear ok but hard to tell at that speed when your target isn't picking up the arrow. I sighted in with 125 grain practice tips with the diablo arrows and I had made kill shots up to 75 yards and was extremely accurate until switching to broad heads.
Waif

Post by Waif »

It reads like your broadheads are planing. Surface area should factor more than weight, unless arrows are not correct. Other broadheads of smaller profile, preferably fixed blade for tests, come to mind to test theory of planing.
I have read one account where a 405 owner was using 150 grain field tips and Excalibur bolt cutters and getting similar results of impact by both at forty yards.
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
peter p

Post by peter p »

Cock the bow and slide the arrow down the rail and see if its making contact somewhere.
Sometimes the thin black spacer between the limb and rail sticks out into the track causing the fletching to make contact.
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

peter p wrote:Cock the bow and slide the arrow down the rail and see if its making contact somewhere.
Sometimes the thin black spacer between the limb and rail sticks out into the track causing the fletching to make contact.
Make sure safety is on First and be very careful
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
mandej

Post by mandej »

Thanks guys. I will try in the morning and let you know. Appreciate the help.
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

JPjunkie wrote:
peter p wrote:Cock the bow and slide the arrow down the rail and see if its making contact somewhere.
Make sure safety is on First and be very careful
X2!! Don't get in front of a loaded bow to have a look-see, I would even unstring it while you check for any clearance problems.
I guess it could be a broadhead planing issue, but it puzzles me that it's doing it with mechanicals, that's sort of the whole point of using them. And shooting 3 feet high.... still makes me think something is hitting something somewhere.
Matrix 380
Exomag