average arrow speed

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

b44mag

average arrow speed

Post by b44mag »

getting magtip limbs for a old cast riser exomag
figuring my arrows will be around 420ish 150 up front any clues how fast????
not really that I care but im looking to get a new scope
im wondering if the varizone scope would be better than the non speed ring scope.
bubba

Re: average arrow speed

Post by bubba »

Don't know much about the exomag or the kind of speed you'll get.. But as far as the scope is concerned I feel any thing would be a step up from the standard multi-plex. the varizone to me wasn't even close to the Nikon bolt for about the same price on amazon. You can go online and get the software to set your yard markers to the speed you will be getting. Nice scope just my thoughts..........bubba......
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
strum

Post by strum »

b44mag wrote:getting magtip limbs for a old cast riser exomag
figuring my arrows will be around 420ish 150 up front any clues how fast????
not really that I care but im looking to get a new scope
im wondering if the varizone scope would be better than the non speed ring scope.
just a guess here but I think that's a 175 lb bow and the heavy arrows youll be shooting I think around 280-290 fps I may be a little generous :D im sure someone will chime in with more than a guess..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Never shot a Nikon, but I've owned scads of Vari-zones, they perform well for me..........
"Eze 18:21"
b44mag

Post by b44mag »

16 inch stroke flat riser with carved tip limbs add says it was 185#
so what you think it will be with the mag tips ?????? it also says min 400 grain arrow
strum

Post by strum »

b44mag wrote:16 inch stroke flat riser with carved tip limbs add says it was 185#
so what you think it will be with the mag tips ?????? it also says min 400 grain arrow
I guess im just not the guy to ask lol
its 185# and I don't think the mag tips give it much if any speed ..but it has a long power stroke like the max...sooo im going to back out on that one..
I will say I have had a few varizones and shadowzones. great scopes.
I now own a Nikon bolt..
ill take the Nikon any day
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I really don't knowed much on the exomag 185. When you put the mag tip limbs you can use modern strings. That should put you at least the 300 fps wid a 425gr arrow. I base this on my 165 usin 350 gr arrows with mag tip limbs newer string getting 298-301 fps
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

The older trailcover exomag has a 185# draw weight. With a 400 gr arrow the advertised speed would top out at approx. 290fps. With a 420gr arrow you can expect speed to drop. Back in the day the scope used was the "Dropzone" which was a fixed scope, later in 2001 Excalibur introducted the Maxzone scope still a fixed power scope. Both scope were 2.5 X 32, the difference was the first was for speeds under 300fps, and the latter for speeds over 300fps. The Varizone, which is a variable 2.5-4 X 32 was introduced around 2003 and is still available. It will work and allow you to adjust to the speed of your bow.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
wabi

Post by wabi »

With the mag-tip limbs you don't gain any draw weight, only the ability to use "fastflight" type strings. With the new limbs you should easily gain 10 fps or so with a "fastflight" string. The 175# models (& "fastflight") get around 305 fps with a 350gr arrow. You'll gain 10# draw weight, but loose 10-15 fps to arrow weight above 350. I'm guessing you'll be around 300 fps.

I'd go with the vari-zone if you want the yardage marks in the scope.
wabi
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

I have a custom Exomag with a machined flat riser. Got a set of shims in the riser that pitchs it to a forward riser that add 12FPS. I shoot 410 grain arrows. Speed averages out to 319.5 FPS.

My guess for yours is also around 300FPS.
frodo baggins

Post by frodo baggins »

I get 307 fps on mine with 420 grn bolt
b44mag

Post by b44mag »

thanks guys the new limbs and string showed up earlier this week and the varizone scope and new rings on Friday :D :D :D
i just got back from camp Saturday it was like Christmas day :lol: :lol:
i just got done opening up the boxes nice very nice 8) 8)
all excited to get her back together
thanks again for the info
dfryabq

Post by dfryabq »

A little late for a response, but my 185 Exomag, cast riser with mag tips shoots a 395 gr arrow at 295 and a 420 fr arrow at 287 fps both with a dynaflight string. Chrono'd with IR sky screens, Dave
bubba

Post by bubba »

Never shot a Nikon.......... That's a good one awshucks..........
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)