Reading material and deer.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Reading material and deer.

Post by Pydpiper »

Looking for some good reading on deer, deer hunting and deer activity.
My son want to dive deep in to something besides articals in a magazine.
I am open to suggestions for what to find him.
Books that stood the test of time, authors who got recognized over time...
Thanks guys/gals.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
DaGriz

Re: Reading material and deer.

Post by DaGriz »

If you can find books written by Jack O'Connor he would really enjoy those.
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

North American hunting club book series. Can be found @ Amazon or even on ebay. Its about other Species as well as deer, Even a cook book as best I can remember.
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

I would suggest a book by Gene Wensel " One Mans Whitetail ", a great read for anyone . :)
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Oppie

Post by Oppie »

Check out Dr. Ken Nordberg's books, some great information in all of them. I have at least 4 signed editions :mrgreen:

http://www.drnordbergondeerhunting.com/

Books are in the store link.
Just Makin Wine on the Hill!
Exocet 200 wth Leupold Crossbones, Munch mount
xcaliber FFF strings
VM FFF Strings
Black Eagles Executioners Wth Blazers
Slick Trick 100
rayman

Post by rayman »

Sticking my neck out as usual. Over the years I have taken classes and been to a lot of workshops about various aspects of wildlife and habitat management. These are usually about game species because that is where a lot of the interest is, but not always. These types of workshops provide a much different learning experience and can bring balance to a purely hunter aspect. Books on the subject are usually pretty boring, so I recommend finding a good workshop. Feed store classes don't count because they are just trying to sell you deer chow. Deer farm classes don't count either because they are trying to get you started by selling you deer. Not being familiar with your local game offices, I would check with Ministry of Natural Resources or what ever office the local game biologists work at and find a good workshop to attend. :)
WalknTall

Post by WalknTall »

Dave,

I was gonna check into this one a little more. I haven't yet but thought I would pass it along.

http://www.boone-crockett.org/huntingwhitetails/

W
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much", John Wayne
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

I might also suggest " In Pursuit Of Trophy Whitetail " by Roger Rothaar . Yeah , I'm old as dirt ! But very good reading !
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Whitetale Country by Daniel J. Cox Willow Creek press
best book on whitetales I have ever read, bar none
W.M.
Waif

Post by Waif »

Archibald Rutledge. 1883-1973. His works, My Colonel and His Lady is one. Tales of Whitetails another. A Wildwood Tale, another. Heck many of his works. One good one would round out a library.
Check them out for subject first. Ol Flintlock kept score,over 300 deer if I recall.
Attributed part of his interest to a pet buck that was lifting him out of his crib by his hands on its antlers in his infanthood. . :wink: Not so much a how to but a why to perspective. They typically hunted behind hounds on horseback.
A poem to one of his sons,( I think the one who died in a wreck, Archie Jr. maybe.) while his son was in school and his dad kinda teasing him to forget his studies to come back and hunt was replied to in poem from his son.
"When red leaves fall in October days, tis then I change my peaceful ways. To kill a buck I'm all hell bent ,by heredity and environment. To peace and love I'm fully blinded,I'm full capacity killer minded". Surly relieving any concern of his presence for some deer hunting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1HXiLf_WW4
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Thanks guys.
My intention was to get each one that would be recommended, thats a lot of books! Still going to try though, lots of readers in the house.
I will also get in touch with our local biologist, we communicate a few times a year anyways, not sure if they have programs of not, but worth a try indeed.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Yolo

Post by Yolo »

If you are looking for a how to hunt for beginner hunter, (like me) I bought "The Total Hunter Manual' by Field and stream. I really like it. has lots of tips.