Lets talk about camouflage patterns.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Sopchoppy

Re: Lets talk about camouflage patterns.

Post by Sopchoppy »

Order of preference :
Natural Gear - both colors
Mossy Oak Breakup
Realtree AP
I have waaaay too much of all of it.
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
dabluz

Post by dabluz »

Here where I hunt in Quebec, I have yet to find a camo colour that imitates the natural surrounding woods. Up here, spruce is king but the green part is up off the ground. The best colour would be dark grey mingled with dark green, medium brown and some medium green. The patterns must be large too. Mossy Oak and Real Tree just stand out too much. Luckily, moose don't have good eyesight. I think the best colour would be just a nice dark brown. The hunter would look like a moose.
Vortex
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Deer are colorblind, except for the color blue. So please yourself. I prefer the Mossy Oak patterns that blend into the surroundings I hunt. Don't know if it makes any difference to deer, just gives me more confidence in my setup.
PS Yesterday I had a deer ogle me from 7 yards. I was in 14' ladder stand covered head to toe in camo, facemask, gloves, it went on feeding after checking me out.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Boo

Post by Boo »

I don't find camo necessary for animals. I've had mulie does within nose grabbing distance :mrgreen: , sitting against a fence post in the snow wearing a dark green top and black pants.
If I had to wear camo, I'd use ASAT. It is the only camo design with 3 distinct well separated shades of brown, giving you a distinct 3D effect.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
wabi

Post by wabi »

Something no one has mentioned is "hunter orange" requirements.

I've killed my share of deer wearing a bright orange jacket and I sure didn't look like my surroundings to human eyes! :lol:

I do prefer the hunter orange "camo" (some black lines in it), but I've killed plenty of deer while wearing plain old solid hunter orange.
wabi
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

For deer hunting, how the fabric reflects UV light is more important than the pattern. Don't wash your hunting clothes in normal detergent since they contain brighteners. Deer see better in the UV blue spectrum which is most prevalent at dawn and dusk. We don't see very well at that time, but deer see best at that time of day. Here is a picture for you that shows what the wrong fabric looks like:
The pants are cotton as is the bulk of the HSS harness. My entire outfit is Realtree Hardwoods HD. Get a load of the nice quiet fleece jacket and spandex type camo turtleneck. Under IR light, I would look like a snowman in a tree. It looks camo to humans, but not to all animals. Even the black straps on the HSS Pro Series harness glow like they are white.

For turkey and waterfowl, good camo is a must. For deer, UV is far more important than the pattern.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I was doing a little research and found something pretty neet on the Sitka Clothing website. It's a great video called the science of nothing. This was originally a U.S.Military guy and he explains micro patterns, macro patterns, perception of animals. Biologists explain the animal sight stuff. I highly recommend checking it out. I believe there is a science to it. Scent being the primary focus, remaining motionless and unseen being secondary. Jmo.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
rmamechanic

Post by rmamechanic »

Cabelas sold a pattern called Vertigo a couple of years back, I have had deer look at me look away then look again and go on feeding when I was in an elevated stand. But I have had them pick me off from a hundred yards when hunting from the ground. However I do believe that preparation is everything. If you have a permanent stand or one that you hunt regularly I think it is very important that you have some type of fabric around it. The deer seem to get used to what ever is there and don't pay attention to subtle changes. I also agree with those that say that camo is for the hunter. I have a Woolrich outfit that is a motley gray-brown and nothing pays attention to it. I have had squirrels sit on my stand, hawks land right beside me and on two different occasions young deer come within two feet of me, and didn't run away in panic. One area I hunt is loaded with turkey and while hunting from a ground blind made of brush and limbs I had turkey all around me while wearing the Woolrich. A week later hunting from the same blind in mossy oak the turkey came out 50 or 60 yards away and looked straight at me turned around and left immediately. The only problem is that I found this outfit at an outlet shop and have never seen another one like it. Have even contacted woolrich about it and can't get any information.