to loctite or not to loctite ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

schrona1

to loctite or not to loctite ?

Post by schrona1 »

after quite a few shots I noticed the scope comes just loose enough to affect accuracy, The dealer that mounted the scope says you don't need loctite as a crossbow doesn't have the recoil of a rifle, should one be using some blue loctite on the 2 big screws that hold the scope to the rail?
DES

Re: to loctite or not to loctite ?

Post by DES »

I've had more trouble with screws coming loose on my crossbow than I ever did on a rifle lol. I use the purple Loctite, the blue seems a bit difficult to remove if needed.
Excal 350 SE
Stryker LS 390
Scorpyd Vent 150
luckymike

Post by luckymike »

I use loctite.i believe it's the vibration of the crossbow the causes the screws to come loose not recoil.
matrix 355,330
slicktrick 125
black eagle executioners
vixenmaster strings
nikon bolt
triggertech
bobcattrapper

Post by bobcattrapper »

luckymike wrote:I use loctite.i believe it's the vibration of the crossbow the causes the screws to come loose not recoil.
x2 for rifles I usually just use blue loctite on bases.But on these crossbows they vibrate so much i put a drop on the ring screws also.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

That's hilarious, another dealer that knows little to nothing about crossbows but acting like a pro because they've got a shop. Absolutely us a medium or low strength loktight. Make sure to check the strength. I use a medium strength 'blue' but also saw a permanent blue. I also use mine on every visible fastener.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

paulaboutform wrote:That's hilarious, another dealer that knows little to nothing about crossbows but acting like a pro because they've got a shop. Absolutely us a medium or low strength loktight. Make sure to check the strength. I use a medium strength 'blue' but also saw a permanent blue. I also use mine on every visible fastener.
X2 !!! I don't see how you couldn't use it on the fasteners !
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I recommend the Blue 242. It is removable, and I have had no problems taking screws out after using it.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Drew

Post by Drew »

I use clear silicone. Once dry the screws stay put, it's vibration dampening by nature, and it is easily removeable. I've never had a fastener loosen on me while using it and I shoot my bow a lot.
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

paulaboutform wrote:... I also use mine on every visible fastener.
aYup! Every Single One! :wink:

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

IronNoggin wrote:
paulaboutform wrote:... I also use mine on every visible fastener.
aYup! Every Single One! :wink:

Cheers,
Nog
Make it X3! Spend a little time with some blue loctite and save yourself some headaches later! It's not the recoil, it's the vibration.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Gmen

Post by Gmen »

I purchased a 355 last year and was not pleased with the accuracy. As I read posts about using loctite, I started using it on some of the bolts, e.g. the scope rail, and was still not pleased with the accuracy. Then I read about using loctite to keep the trigger assembly solid. I took care of that and now the accuracy is there!
schrona1

Post by schrona1 »

thanks for everybody's input. I assumed that a dealer would have done this when mounting the scope, apparently not. I knew once the bolts were hitting the target more than 2 inches apart at 40 yards that something was obviously loose; when I asked the dealer he obviously just slapped it on the crossbow and kicked it out the door and made up some lame excuse about recoil to not make himself look incompetent. I have taken it apart and used loctite on all fasteners, the silicone idea sounds like it would work as well, thanks again for all comments.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

schrona1 wrote:.................. I knew once the bolts were hitting the target more than 2 inches apart at 40 yards that something was obviously loose; ............................

I'm not sure how much you shoot and how long you've been at it, but let me assure you my goal is not to offend you.

You are setting a pretty high standard by the sound of it. Bolt variations, parallax, trigger function, and shooter technique all could easily account for a whole lot more deviation in bolt point of impact. Maybe you had loose fittings, but I'd not make that my conclusion without a lot more shooting.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
schrona1

Post by schrona1 »

Yes, as soon as I could turn the two large flathead fasteners that hold the scope to the rail with my fingers, I clued in pretty quick, lol!
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

A two inch grouping with loose fittings? AT 40 yards! There are a lot of shooters who would be happy with that with TIGHT fittings! :D :D
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.