String Broke after firing 8 times

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Re: String Broke after firing 8 times

Post by newbie »

Utah Hunter wrote:I will share a similar experience with what I thought was a string break but turned out to be a strung "cut" on about my 10th shot of a new 380. There is a possibility it could be your situation also.

Danny Miller thought I had not seated the arrow all the way back to the string before the shot. From the evidence on the string and the arrow, I am now convinced that the ribbed plastic nock came out exposing the string to the violent force of the 380 and to then shear on the unprotected edges of the arrow cutting the string into two pieces.

The ribbed nocks do not have enough surface contact with the inside of the shaft to properly secure. The nocks loosen after one or more shots. Check the other arrows you have used for loose nocks.
what arrows and nocks? i have to use danny miller pliers to get mine out from BEA Zombies and never had one wiggle out a smidge two different brands of plastic nocks.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

Newman wrote: I didn’t adjust my brace height when I got the bow but it was just barely not touching the reds. I think it might have been about 1/16 or less away from them. I guess that is where the problem came from.
Thanks again for the help guys!

Would hope that your observation of 1/6th off Reds should rule out brace height.
Otherwise :shock:
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

A lot of times the missing arrow shows up on the table when strings end up missing . :D I'm not saying that's what happened here , but stranger things have happened .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Boo

Post by Boo »

8ptbuk wrote:A lot of times the missing arrow shows up on the table when strings end up missing . :D I'm not saying that's what happened here , but stranger things have happened .
LOL! I've spent half an hour looking for an arrow when it never left the bench! :shock:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Boo

Post by Boo »

Utah Hunter wrote:I will share a similar experience with what I thought was a string break but turned out to be a strung "cut" on about my 10th shot of a new 380. There is a possibility it could be your situation also.

Danny Miller thought I had not seated the arrow all the way back to the string before the shot. From the evidence on the string and the arrow, I am now convinced that the ribbed plastic nock came out exposing the string to the violent force of the 380 and to then shear on the unprotected edges of the arrow cutting the string into two pieces.

The ribbed nocks do not have enough surface contact with the inside of the shaft to properly secure. The nocks loosen after one or more shots. Check the other arrows you have used for loose nocks.
Were yours worse than these?
Utah Hunter

Post by Utah Hunter »

Yes- they look like those pictured- I believe they are Black Eagles. They are at my son's house in Wyoming so I can not examine or photograph them right now.

Is there some history related to the plastic nocks that fall out after some use?
Boo

Post by Boo »

No story, I shoot them like that and they do not damage the string/serving.
After a semi dry-fire, the rear part of the shaft was cracked and the nocks were of course loose. I suppose they would eventually fall out.
Utah Hunter

Post by Utah Hunter »

My situation must be a little different. My son was getting ready to decock the bow and when he pulled the arrow out, I saw something fall out of the bow thinking the bow had lost some part from inside. I was surprised when I picked up the object from the ground to see that a nock had come out of the arrow that was just removed. Checking the other arrows we found 3 or 4 more loose knocks just sitting inside the arrow shaft but not glued in. The knock and the arrow shaft are both black so easy not to notice that a nock is not there where loading an arrow. When the arrow was shot with no nock, the arrow made it to the 20 yard target but the shaft was all splintered from I think, cutting the arrow when shot without a nock. Thanks for the follow up.

Post by newbie »

sounds like wrong nocks were put in those arras. I only use plastic and cannot remove with my fingers.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Boo

Post by Boo »

There is no question in my situation. The nocks were fine before the semi dry-fire. After the semi dry-fire they were loose because the shafts were cracked.
Been there, done that. I've had more than my share of semi dry-fires :roll: I'm always in the "what the heck" mode when it happened. Now with these Matrix bows, I am ultra careful to smack the arrows right back. So far no semi dry-fires myself :shock: It's a miracle! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mister B

Post by Mister B »

Well, the same thing happened to my son. He borrowed my 355. He normally shoots a different brand of bow and wanted to shoot mine because it is so much smaller and shorter. I had left my bow in the camper at the lease and wasn't with him and hadn't taught him how to decock it with the stringing rope. He shot two deer with it and came into camp and decided to discharge it the way he normally does his Tenpoint by shooting it into a target. He called and said the string broke right in the middle when he tried to discharge the arrow. It did cut the string (wouldn't you know it was one of Boo's custom strings dang it) but it cut it because there was no black nock in the shaft, it had obviously popped out during a harvest shot and when he discharged it he didn't notice. Ripped the BE right down the middle and cut the string, When I got there I put the factory string back on and the bow only shot an inch and a half high at 20. No damage done to bow. Thank Heavens it was an Excalibur. I told my if it had been his
compound TP bow it would have been nothing but bits and pieces. He wants an Excal now. Lol. Boo, I will order another string when I get the funds.
Micro nightmare (Mini Pearl)
Matrix 355 (the Shrike)
Matrix 330 (the Mini-Mag)
Rage Extreme & slick trick mag BH
Diablo arrows with 2"blazers and Laser II and
BE executioners with 3" Duravanes
woodmnctry

Post by woodmnctry »

8ptbuk wrote:A lot of times the missing arrow shows up on the table when strings end up missing . :D I'm not saying that's what happened here , but stranger things have happened .

Guilty !!! :oops: :oops: :oops:
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

what is a "ribbed" nock? never saw that term before
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife

Post by newbie »

Deaf jeff wrote:

what is a "ribbed" nock? never saw that term before
i believe he is referring to the "ribs" that run lengthwise on nock that inserts into the shaft to allow it to be press fit.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
swiftfox

Post by swiftfox »

I had a similar problem. I purchased a new string less than 2 weeks ago for my older vixen crossbow. carved tip bow,after second firing one strand broke is this usual or default in product?

Swiftfox
Be the kind of Woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the Devil says "Oh! crap She's up"