String Broke after firing 8 times

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Newman

String Broke after firing 8 times

Post by Newman »

I bought the Excalibur Matrix 380 Xtra around 10 days ago. I fired it after setting it up as instructed on the instructional dvd that came with it. It shot great the first day but my bolts were getting stuck inside my target. I stopped shooting it until I got myself a new target designed specifically for crossbows that shoot up to 400 fps. I was sighting it in today and shot 6 times and on the 6th fire the string snapped and launched my arrow who knows where. There is now a small dent on the very tip of the limb and the limbs are pointing away from the crossbow now. There were zero signs of string wear prior to my 6th fire. I sent an email to excalibur today and hoping to hear back soon. Deer season opens up in Alabama tomorrow and I was hoping to be able to get out there and hunt so this is very disappointing to me.

Anyone have any thoughts on why this could have happened? Defective equipment? I was using bolts which came with the bow. Don’t have a clue as to why this would happen shooting it less than 10 times.
wabi

Re: String Broke after firing 8 times

Post by wabi »

Do you have the string?
If so, where did it break?
wabi
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Did you get a stringing tool, and set your brace height? Was the string resting into the bumpers?
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Newman

Post by Newman »

I was shooting it in my backyard which is enclosed by a 6 foot fence on all sides. I looked for the string but it was not to be found anywhere in my backyard. Backyard is about 50ft by 40ft.

I do not have a stringing tool. There is a bow shop nearby which I could pick one up tomorrow. I have never restrung a bow so I would probably like to pay someone to do so.
quickbiscuit

Post by quickbiscuit »

I think what the other members were referring to was whether an incorrect brace height could have caused the string to break.

It's pretty much a foregone conclusion that these bows will need adjusted right out of the box, but Excalibur has not acknowledged this yet. See other threads for details.

I'm sorry about the bad luck. These problems always seem to happen at the worst times.
Excalibur Matrix 380 Xtra
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

A stringing tool is 100% necessary and you need to be familiar with the procedure to correct brace height as a result of string stretch. Don't worry, It's easy.

I hope Excalibur looks after you quickly.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
wabi

Post by wabi »

Since you can't find the string my bet is on the brace height being too low and the string really didn't break - it flew off the limbs!

The limbs are pitched slightly forward when the bow is not strung, so it may not be damaged.
Not sure what you mean by a small dent in the tip of the limb? I'm not familiar with the matrix limbs, but the limbs on my Phoenix have a small "hole" in the end of the "mag tips", which I am guessing is to let any trapped air escape when the tips are glued on the limbs.
wabi
quickbiscuit

Post by quickbiscuit »

If you haven't already, download the new owner's manual from the Excalibur website. Your bow probably came with an outdated manual. The new manual briefly explains brace height and adjustment if you aren't 100% sure what everyone is referring to.

Even the new manual contradicts itself in places, but you want 1/8" to 1/4" of space between the REDS bumpers and the string, leaving a minimum of 1/2" of space between the string and the joint where the riser meets the rail.
Last edited by quickbiscuit on Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Excalibur Matrix 380 Xtra
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Some good advice from these guys! Get the tool, and watch all the videos here, and ask some questions. That will save you some time, and aggravation. Good luck, and Excalibur will get you fixed up!
Newman

Post by Newman »

Thank y’all for the input. It has really helped out a lot. I didn’t adjust my brace height when I got the bow but it was just barely not touching the reds. I think it might have been about 1/16 or less away from them. I guess that is where the problem came from. I am going to take it to the bow shop tomorrow and hopefully can get it back to functioning condition quickly!

It is more of a scratch than a dent. It looks just a little scuffed and about a cm deep similar to the size of these smilies on the right. I am not worried about that because it doesn’t look like it would effect anything.

Thanks again for the help guys!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Rub a cotton ball all over the limbs to find any lamination, hopefully none!
Good luck!
Boo

Post by Boo »

A combination of a low brace height and a semi dry-fire can cause a string to go sailing off the limbs!
I keep my brace height a bit more than 1/4" and I allowed someone to shoot my 405 without supervision. What resulted was a splintered limb, 2 cracked shaft at the rear and mushroomed rear nocks.
I was talking to someone with 405 about semi dry-fires and he was pushing his arrows back with moderately light pressure and it stopped (at the latch). After talking to me he gave it a good shove and it moved back considerably. I think it was caused by the rear nocks.
Your 380 is the second most powerful recurve production bow and a semi dry-fire is pretty violent. The string carries so much energy that when the brace height is too low it snaps the limbs back in a pretty harsh manner.
These ultra powerful bows do are not particularly forgiving.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Dash

Post by Dash »

Have another look around for your string. They can be hard to find. The boys have given you good advice. Chances are your string will be ok (Check there's no broken strands), and has just flung off due to low brace height/incorrect arrow position. When you get your string back on, Always double check the arrows pulled back firm all the way, and there is always a small gap between the string and your bumpers. If theres no gap the string can easily be twisted up slightly to increase the gap.
Just like a horse, if she bucks you off get straight back on it ;-)
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

my string is fraying after 10 shots
Utah Hunter

Post by Utah Hunter »

I will share a similar experience with what I thought was a string break but turned out to be a strung "cut" on about my 10th shot of a new 380. There is a possibility it could be your situation also.

Danny Miller thought I had not seated the arrow all the way back to the string before the shot. From the evidence on the string and the arrow, I am now convinced that the ribbed plastic nock came out exposing the string to the violent force of the 380 and to then shear on the unprotected edges of the arrow cutting the string into two pieces.

The ribbed nocks do not have enough surface contact with the inside of the shaft to properly secure. The nocks loosen after one or more shots. Check the other arrows you have used for loose nocks.