Matrix 380 questions!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

cdup

Matrix 380 questions!

Post by cdup »

I have my eyes set on the 380. On another site I guy stated excalibur recommends someone of at least a 5'8" frame to be able to cock it. Not believing that plus I wouldn't hesitate to let height stop me from doing things. I'm 5'4" 165 lbs muscular built unless
Someone can chime in and say I don't have the leverage then I'll understand. I currently hunt with the Phoenix 175 pull and can cock it without the assistance of the cocking rope fairly easy. So before spending my hard earn money I would love some input from others who have experience with the 380 and cocking it. Another question is would my ground pounder quiver bracket off my Phoenix match up to mount on the riser of the 380? I have 20" gt laser 2's for my Phoenix. Sell them when I sell my Phoenix or keep them for the 380 if I go that route? Tks for any input!
Respect everyone, but fear no one
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Re: Matrix 380 questions!

Post by Hunt it »

380 is no problem to pull back. You may wish to shorten the cocking rope as many with short reach find if they shorten it some it's no issue. 18" bolts are way to go for best accuracy, my 380 shoots 3" groups out to 90 yards.
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

The phoenix may be a little easier to cock than the 380 I think you may be happier with the 355 or the 330 a couple of my friends and myself own the 330 and we love ours. If you've already decided on the 380 you should be able to cock it but if you shoot a lot you will enjoy the others a lot better. Good luck and have fun
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
torana9x

Post by torana9x »

I've just ordered the 380 myself, but I have been reading about limb issues with these higher poundage bows, should I be worried...?
Normous

Post by Normous »

If you are fit you will cock the 380. My friend who is 5'4" and very athletic has no problem with his 405. Also, my wife who is 137# and almost 5'6" cocks her 380 and only the last inch or so is a bit difficult if she doesn't have boots on.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Normous

Post by Normous »

torana9x wrote:I've just ordered the 380 myself, but I have been reading about limb issues with these higher poundage bows, should I be worried...?
No, just make sure that you have the stringing aid and keep your brace height 2 string widths + above the REDS and ALWAYS seat your arrow 100% against the string.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
torana9x

Post by torana9x »

Cheers
JUDGE

Post by JUDGE »

I'm 5' 5" and 66 years old and the 380 is not a problem for hunting.
After about 20 shots I find it getting heavier and heavier .
Now for target shooting I would have gone lighter.
Retired from the Working World

MICRO 355
50 CAL Traditions Pursuit
Mosburg 100ATR 30-06
Henry Lever 22lr
Mosburg 500
Savage 243
cdup

Post by cdup »

Tks everyone for the input! I read on here excalibur is introducing 3 new model bows in 2015 so rumor has it. So I believe I will play it safe and wait to see if true before buying! My luck I would buy the 380 then fall in love with one of the new models!!
Respect everyone, but fear no one
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

.....Here I am another person who is 5'4"....yippie!...lets just say I am short for my weight and leave it at that! :lol:

I do have strong upper body strength but also have torn cartilage in both shoulders.

With that said, I have no real issues with cocking or decocking my M380...I can say however that I am at the end of my rope so to say...would not want to try to cock a XB with a longer rail...

Go for it and enjoy!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
ijb

Post by ijb »

I'm 5' 7" and I do find cocking the 380 a bit difficult in that last inch or two. While I can consistently cock the bow, it is a sufficient strain that after 3 or 4 times, it gets difficult to hold the bow steady for target shooting.

My solution was to buy the crank. With the crank, cocking is very easy and I can shoot all day. It may not be the solution for everyone, but it is a great option.
Matrix 380
Trigger Tech 2.5# 2 stage trigger
Redfield Revenge scope
C2 crank
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

ijb wrote:I'm 5' 7" and I do find cocking the 380 a bit difficult in that last inch or two. While I can consistently cock the bow, it is a sufficient strain that after 3 or 4 times, it gets difficult to hold the bow steady for target shooting.

My solution was to buy the crank. With the crank, cocking is very easy and I can shoot all day. It may not be the solution for everyone, but it is a great option.

...my solution for this was to shorten the cocking rope by 1". So now I put the hook on one side on, pull the string up with my hand (not really difficult) and set the second hook. Then I cock the bow...not really a problem.

Give it a shot!

In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
bobcattrapper

Post by bobcattrapper »

amythntr wrote:
ijb wrote:I'm 5' 7" and I do find cocking the 380 a bit difficult in that last inch or two. While I can consistently cock the bow, it is a sufficient strain that after 3 or 4 times, it gets difficult to hold the bow steady for target shooting.

...my solution for this was to shorten the cocking rope by 1". So now I put the hook on one side on, pull the string up with my hand (not really difficult) and set the second hook. Then I cock the bow...not really a problem.

Give it a shot!

I shorted my matrix 330 too.I'm tall.I took off about 3 inches or so.I thought at first I took off too much.But I found out soon I was not totally out of energy no more.I just pull up on the string like Anthony does a little bit to get the hooks on.Then a quick pull up.The way it was it took everthing I had to cock the thing and it hurt my back.This way over and done fast!Try it.
ijb

Post by ijb »

I did shorten my cocking rope and this helped a bit, but it was still a bit of a pain. Regardless, I am totally hooked on crank (sorry, couldn't resist the joke). Seriously though, it takes a minute or 2 longer to cock using the crank, but it is so easy that it has become second nature. This may not be ideal for hunting as it is a bit noisy, but for target shooting, I think it is great.
Matrix 380
Trigger Tech 2.5# 2 stage trigger
Redfield Revenge scope
C2 crank