Leaving crossbow cocked

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Wisc Mac

Leaving crossbow cocked

Post by Wisc Mac »

Survey - What's the longest you leave (or would leave) your crossbow cocked?

In light of the recent rope cocker failures and the general risk of a dry fire associated of cocking/uncorking, I'm wondering of its better to leave a bow cocked for extended periods of time. I often hunt morning and evenings behind our house in a ground blind and would cock and decock back at house, obviously removing the arrow when heading in/out, typically just leaving the arrow in the blind.

If you know you are going back out later that day (8hrs) would you leave it cocked. What about even locker times? Over the past 4 days, I've been out every 7.5 to 8 hrs.
Matrix 380 Xtra
Winchester Model 94
Benelli SBE II
bob1961

Re: Leaving crossbow cocked

Post by bob1961 »

I have left mine all day while hunting, if I come out for lunch I de cock it when back at truck....
exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
ottawacats

Post by ottawacats »

Well I for one have left me bow cocked for around a week. Wasn't on purpose just one step I forgot to do when I got in from a cold hunt one day last winter. It had no effect on POI at all, I have tested it more then once POI never moved. Its not something I hope to do again but at the same time its not unusual for me to leave it cocked for 2-6hrs a day when hunting.

matt
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

Leave my 380 cocked 15-16hrs day when moose hunting, never an issue.
bubba

Post by bubba »

It's not gonna hurt your bow to leave it cocked over night or so. But I think it's a good idea to un cock your bow after the hunt to let them limbs relax. I'm fairly new to the crossbow world. But that would be my thoughts.........bubba.......
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)