smallgame ?? newbie ;-)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

b44mag

smallgame ?? newbie ;-)

Post by b44mag »

me and buddy were talking last night about going ringneck hunting our season just started on Saturday. we went with the scatter guns was a great day afield.
so he asked me ifin I was going to try to get one with the exomag hmm I thought :wink: wow bet the bolt would be in next county with the vanes. not to safe in my mind. I have went a few times with the longbow and fluflus. still not to safe on public land lots of hunters but doable in the right places. I told him I don't think a fluflu fletched bolt is doable ????????? anyone ever try it ???? I would think it might raise up on the rail and create a dryfire or ???? something I have not even thought of being so new to all this.
paulaboutform

Re: smallgame ?? newbie ;-)

Post by paulaboutform »

That just sounds scary and expensive. Resist the urge.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Take 'em in the pre-flight position. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
wabi
boltchucker

Post by boltchucker »

Put a bow fishing rig on it to keep the arrow in the same county as you.
b44mag

Post by b44mag »

that's what I was thinking maybe after the rush of the beginning of the season. I might get a lil sneaky in the field rows and try to get one in the ( pre-flight position ) :lol: :lol: :lol:
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Just for fun (and because my buddy and the guide didn't think the bow could do it) I took a shot at a life sized buffalo target at 347yds when I was in NE last year. Very safe situation as he owned plenty of kand and we were the only ones on it. I was shooting a 525gr Easton FMJ (practice arrow that was slightly bent) and was using my Vortex. I lined up on the target and raised the bow up to about 45 degrees and let 'er rip. The guide found the arrow about 2 weeks later, right on line and about 20 yards past the target. I guess my point is that I don't think any fluflu would work. To fit in the channel they could be no taller than a Blazer - but you could make them as long as the arrow I guess. Bowfishing rig would be the only way to try it.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....Not allowed in NJ...Can only hunt pheasants with shotguns...I think the way your friend is proposing is only inviting potential problems...In the excitement of those ringnecks running and taking flight is just a scary proposition in my book....heck, enough issues present themselves when unsafe hunts swing guns around as the birds take off....DON'T DO IT! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I would be cautious with the fishing rig too.
My rig has a braded nylon line, it is has elastic properties. Even shooting down the arrow can snap back when the line is out.
Shooting up may result in a fast returning arrow if the line tangles, snags or runs out.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
b44mag

Post by b44mag »

yep all of the above ran through my head n thought nope next thing will be a bolt :lol: :lol: :lol:
I play with the longbow and fluflus out in the fields while walking the trap line and at about a 45 the 50# longbow will sail a fluflu about 200 yards so I would think a 185# crossbow would be a bunch more :lol: :lol: :lol: