Peep sight

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

canoe13

Peep sight

Post by canoe13 »

I was just wondering if anyone hunts with a factory peep sight on their bow? I finally got my hands on a Relayer Y25 and want to try going old school with it. I did not get good a good cheek weld with a scope mounted. If anyone has other alternative sighting idea please share.
Mag Air
Sig Sauer Romeo 5
Excalibur Quills
Tooth of the Arrow broadheads
Vixenmaster strings
hard2draw

Re: Peep sight

Post by hard2draw »

mfo sight perhaps
galamb

Re: Peep sight

Post by galamb »

I shoot a multi-reticle reflexive red dot (NCSTAR DB4).

You shoot with both eyes open and I almost "never" shoulder the bow.

I have a terrible time trying to get the relief correct with conventional scopes (most are too short for my liking or way too expensive if they aren't - ya, I'm cheap - not willing to drop the price of a new crossbow on the optics)

I shoot from a stand, front supported, and as long as you can put the crosshairs on the target it will be "on". Also practice front supported (have my own 25 yard range) and literally never shoulder the bow unless I "feel like it" (which demonstrates the flexibility of this type of scope)

(and yes, crosshairs, while this scope allows for the (traditional) single dot, I use a "starburst" pattern.

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about.

With my arrow speed (slow at about 270'ish at the muzzle), I zero at 25 yards which gives me a range in the starburst of 15 to 33 yards.

You can generally pick these up for 40-50 bucks now (were 100 or so when I got mine a few years back)

Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS