Doghouse Blind Changing Colors...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Woody Williams

Doghouse Blind Changing Colors...

Post by Woody Williams »

My son and myself went up to "the country" to look at our hunting place.

We had left the Doghouse blind set up from turkey season. It is the edge of a back field where no one can see it unless they trespass.

I was amazed at the coloration of it. The ultra violet rays of the sun had changed the color to almost a reddish orange color. All the green is gone. The reddish orange color is still in a camo pattern though. It now looks like a fall color blind instead of a spring or all around blind.

On the back side of the blind that is protected from the sun it is still the very same color as the original.

Of course it was cheap ($69.95 USD) so I am probably getting what I paid for.

Has anyone else seen this happen??
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Philip W.

Post by Philip W. »

Yes, I also have the Ameristep blind...Mine is the "outhouse" blind...Was in that "tangle" pattern or whatever their standard color was...

Bought it early year last year and let it sit outside in the sun for about a month to air out and get any scent off of it...Faded almost immediately...

Still hunted with it and shot 3 deer out of it, but I was mostly in a pine thicket...I thought it stuck out like a sore thumb, but I guess the deer didn't care...

Would look funny down in an oak bottom with all the green stuff though...

I think you are correct in you get what you pay for...
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

You may get what you pay for but I would try giving them a call or sending them a letter stating how you are disappointed with their product due to the fact the colour fades extremely fast.

If they stand behind what they sell/make they will give you a replacement. I had problems with a particular brand of fishing lures, where the bill/lip would fall out. I called them and then sent a letter with one of the defective baits(as per their request). They replaced all the ones I had troubles about 5-6, over a $100.00 worth of lures.

I sent another letter to another fishing lure manufacturer looking for a lure they had discontinued, as it is my favourite bass lure. They did not have any more on hand but sent me some decals, a key chain, and one of their new lures and thanked me. Not bad for the price of a stamp!
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

I have one coming in the mail. I wounder if there is a chemical that will hald the color ? And still be scent free.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Chris,

I took your advice and went ot the Ameristep website. I filled out a form on their "customer service" page.

I said -

This spring I purchased a "Doghouse " blind for turkey hunting. The blind worked great and I and my son was successful opening morning.

However,

I went back to the field that I had my blind in and was totally SHOCKED that it had totally changed colors in just a month and half.

It is now a reddish orange and absolutely no camoflauge pattern in it. The only real camo color left is on the leaf edge and it is just fine. It didn't turn at all. Maybe a different fabric, color or treatment??

If it is a different fabric, then why did you not make the entire blind out of that same material?

The blind is totally usless now as it stands out like a sore thuumb instead of blending in like it did before.

I would appreciate a prompt answer on this problem as I need to have a ground blind for deer season coming up in mid-September. This one wont work anymore and I need to get another one. But I cant live with this problem of changing colors.

Thank you,

Now I'll see what they have to say...
Woody Williams

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

Good letter Woody.It will be nice to see how they respond to that letter... Hopefully they will replace it for you,, if not I guess we know which blinds you won't buy :wink:
oneshot 1

Post by oneshot 1 »

Mine said not to let it set out in the weather for long priods of time,just when being used.

oneshot 1
rwk

blinds

Post by rwk »

Woody the only reason the leafs are still the proper color-- leafs do not change colors till the fall. ha ha Rich
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Davehawk:

3M Scotchgard might work for preserving the colour of the blind. I have no idea if it emits any odours once dry or has UV brighteners, which apparently deer can see during low light. But it might be worth a try.
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

I just got the Doghouse Blind.I Gave the blind a couple of coats of water repellant with UV protector. I used the world famous brand, suppose to be odorless, I guess we'll see how it holds out.

BTW, I was sure feeling stupid trying to fold that damn thing back up. Twice it took me an hour, :oops: after wacking the heck out of my shin, I finally got the hang of it, and I did feel stupid after I realized it was that simple :wink: :lol: :lol:
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Ha Ha.. real funny Rich... :wink:

Not sure why they can't make the entire blind out of the leaf stuff..

Let me knwo how you make out with the "wprld famous" spray.

Yes, I went three times around the backyard with mine before it finally flopped into place. I've only refolded it once and I've slept a few times since then. When I refold it again, it will be deja vous all over again...
Woody Williams

A.W

Post by A.W »

Woody Williams wrote: Yes, I went three times around the backyard with mine before it finally flopped into place. I've only refolded it once and I've slept a few times since then. When I refold it again, it will be deja vous all over again...
Could be a new Olympic sport.....The Dog House Steeple Chase. :wink:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

A.W wrote:
Woody Williams wrote: Yes, I went three times around the backyard with mine before it finally flopped into place. I've only refolded it once and I've slept a few times since then. When I refold it again, it will be deja vous all over again...

Way too dangerous for an Olympic sport.....
Woody Williams

Sliver

Post by Sliver »

Woody Williams wrote:
A.W wrote:

It may be ok if you wear the proper protective equipment :wink: shin guards and a helmet :lol:
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Sliver wrote:
Woody Williams wrote:
A.W wrote: Could be a new Olympic sport.....The Dog House Steeple Chase. :wink:

It may be ok if you wear the proper protective equipment :wink: shin guards and a helmet :lol:
I was thinking more along the lines of a baseball catcher's cup.... :wink:
Woody Williams