Rage nockturnal flat nock FAIL!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

cuboodle

Rage nockturnal flat nock FAIL!!

Post by cuboodle »

Missed the buck of my life bout a 130 inch 10 point. He was at 10 yds! If your using these nocks stop put the iPad or tablet down and go take them off. M380 diablo bolts I settled in on the vital i was on the ground so you can imagine having a big boy that close I was ready. Pulled the trigger and watched the lighted nock land between his front and back hoofs the bolt was laying on the leaves no dirt in the boltcutter at all. I'm thinking partial dry fire and yes it was seated I have a habit of running my thumb back on top of the bolt when I shoulder my crossbow..I say partial dryfire because the nock was driven into the shaft. Maybe string over bolt situation. I normally don't bad mouth gear but if can save someone from it Having it happen all the better
Vortex
Rage 2 blade crossbow
Wyvern quiver mount
cevans

Re: Rage nockturnal flat nock FAIL!!

Post by cevans »

The back of that nock,,moves inward when you shoot. It will cause a partial dryfire cause its not a rigid flat nock. I had 3 partial dry fire just sighting them in and posted the same thing about 3 or so weeks ago on the forum. I agree,,the nock sucks. Sorry about your miss..get rid of the nocks and keep on hunting.
Last edited by cevans on Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's

Stalking is the game! Stand Hunt too.
strum

Post by strum »

sorry for saying it ..but its always ..missed the buck of a life time :mrgreen:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
cuboodle

Post by cuboodle »

Ha ha that's funny but it was I passed on an scrub 8 and even smaller 5 point I was thinking I should have taken a crack no pun intended at the 8 either way the result would have been the same
Vortex
Rage 2 blade crossbow
Wyvern quiver mount
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Hate to hear you missed your buck. :?
I use the KISS rule with my archery equipment...hence my use of excals. :)
I shoot white vanes on white wraps, usually find my arrows with no problem.
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

So sorry about your bad experience. :(

I was gifted a pack of Nocturnals but after doing some web surfing on them it sounded like they aren't a good option for our Excals so they're still in the gear drawer.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
cevans

Post by cevans »

If the very back of the nock is still stuck all the way in,,the nock, when shot,,will not light up. If you take your finger nail,,or a knife blade,,and go around the indented edge and gently press the very back of the nock back out before shooting,,,it will light up moving the light to contact the battery. Cause the back of the nock moves inward to make contact,,about a 1/16 of a inch or sh,,I think, can create just enough angle against the bow string to cause a partial dry fire. I ripped a vane off each arrow as I had mine on 2 shots as the arrow did partially fly to the target once, and hit the ground 2 times in front of the target at 20 yds before figuring that they just absolutely suck!!!! Never ever have I had a arrow jump my string or endure a partial dry fire in the 4 yrs I have been shooting and I practice shooting a lot all year long playing around with diff arrow setups and experimenting of a sorts. I emailed the Manufacturer my complaints and haven't heard a word from them. I think everybody that has had a bad experience needs to vent to them too. Anyhow,,,get rid of the nock as you never know when it will happen to the user,,and enjoy your hunts.
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's

boltchucker

Post by boltchucker »

I have been using these Nock's for over 3 years with now failing. Buy these Nocks are not plug and play they need to be refined. like a broadhead. They are like mim parts need to put some sand paper to them. I shoot them out of 3 Excalibur axiom /vortex and e/m330 no failure.
cevans

Post by cevans »

You shouldn't have to refine any lighted nock like the nocturnal xbow flat nock as their instructions just say heat the glue and insert into the shaft as its a universal fit. Why the heck would you have to sandpaper the back of the nock or adjust it as there is no adjustment period..maybe I am taking what your saying wrong,,but it does upset me when a manufacturer hasn't done all his homework and won't return your emails in contacting them. Go head and use em,,all we are doing is saying they are junk from our usage,,doesn't mean it won't happen again or they work for someone else. I am sure there are lots out there using them and good luck if they are. What happens to a few shooters can happen to others tho. I shot them maybe a dozen times,,and they slipped off the string 3 times so if they do it once,,they can do it sometime again. Not for me. Happy hunting.
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's

boltchucker

Post by boltchucker »

It's not the back of the nock thas the problem if you would look they made in 2 halves with a seam that will hold the knock up if not removed.
boltchucker

Post by boltchucker »

How many new matrix limb problems you read about because of brace height. Everything you buy will need refining!!! Here's my address send all the nockturnal knocks to Charlie Gibson 71243 old-205 edwardsburg mi. 49112
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Sorry to hear that. On a positive note, at least the deer walked away unscathed. :D A poor hit could've been much worse. I appreciate the report and will personally not use these nocturnals. It's not like people are actually just disliking performance, there are failures! I'll stick with my Luminoks and Zombies, thanks again. :wink:
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
galamb

Post by galamb »

If the nock itself was "driven" into the shaft upon firing, it was most probably not glued into the shaft sufficiently in the first place.

If it worked itself out a little bit upon firing it would have been like putting an arrow down on top of the nock of another one (in a target) - stuffing the nock into the shaft and splitting the shaft because "something" has to give when a faster moving object hits a slower/stopped object.

Now, we can speculate all day as to what may have caused this:

1) the glue from the mfg may have been defective

2) the installation was less than perfect

3) there was some contamination on the inside of the shaft when the installation WAS done "correctly" AND "the glue was FINE from the MFG".

4) despite all the care the shooter takes the arrow somehow worked itself "out" a little bit and was not seated against the string.

And while not even the shooter will probably ever figure out exactly what happened, that doesn't make it the products fault.

I don't use these nocks but many due without incidence.

While it's important that we provide information and reviews for others out there it can be done without trashing the product itself because of a bad experience or personal preference to another brand.

I had a number of partial dry fires using flat nocks a few years back. I ONLY shoot moon nocks now. Does that mean that flat nocks are useless - absolutely not, most of you guys/gals shoot them without incidence but I "feel better" shooting moons (no worries about the string jumping the nock).

So here we have a failure with one shot with a nockturnal - ok, heed the warning (and maybe inspect your installation ocassionally) but I think you could find a number of users here that have taken probably thousands of shots with a nockturnal "without" incidence.

That's all I'm trying to say....
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Galamb, I appreciate what you're saying. Let me ask you, if this happened to you would you continue shooting them?
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
cevans

Post by cevans »

For my usage..its not failure of the glue at all,,,its not the string or shot,,shoving the nock in the shaft. The very back of the nock moves inside the nocck itself and as the shot or string pushes the back of the nock inside itself a tennie bit,,I think that its no being shoved in totally flat and that minisquel measerment of it not being perfectly 90 degrees flat against the string causing the string to ride up and over the back of the nock if you understand what I am trying to describe. The nock works most of the time for me when I was resighting in as I had just installed them. But,,,over a period of 12-18 shots,,had 3 partial dry fires making me refletch arrows and scaring the heck out of me on bow damage of which I felt like I was lucky to have none. I just don't like having the so called partial dry fire or anything that gave it to me and have shot my bow at least 100 more times since removing that nock. Back of it moves a 1/16 or so to activate the light. In venting my discourse over the nock,,it was done to alert anybody else to be aware of the problems I encountered and since my first posting a couple of weeks ago,,now 3 or more forum members have encountered the same effects of a partial dry fire using these lighted nocks so I am not by myself in this discussion of sounding a alarm. For those that want to use them,,be my guest. Do your thingy, Happy hunting. I threw mine away as I didn't even want my friends using them.
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's