FOC users. ??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Talltines

FOC users. ??

Post by Talltines »

I just got some and was wondering how you shot your heads to test them to make sure they shoot dead on with your scope.

Did YOU tie the heads closed to make sure the blades didn't deploy? Or did you just sacrifice one head and shoot it at your target?

one nice thing is that the pack comes with field tips of 170 grains so I can sight my arrows before switching to the real thing.

want to conserve these heads and do as little damage to them as possible but want to be sure i am dead on with these BH's

Thanks
Brian
Scorpyd SLP 165. For now but not for long
New Matrix 405

T/C Encore's MGM 14" 445 supermag
Gary Reeder 16" 41 GNR #2 Encore
Hobie Outback for hitting the Salt.

Too many hobbies and never enough time
Normous

Re: FOC users. ??

Post by Normous »

The FOC is performing extremely well for me, bellerivercrossbowhunter, SEW and a few others using them from our forum.

What I did to test one without damage was to use a very thin diameter wire ( I work in a factory and we use many types of labels that attach to the parts bins with thin wire) and wrapped it about 5 times with a good twist to secure the blades, this added less than 10 grains.

I shot it into my Block target numerous times and arrow withdrawal was the same as fieldpoints.

Using my M405 I found only 1/2" difference at 30 yards using the forementioned FOC and the 170 grain fieldpoints that NAP provides. I was satisfied with that and did not change my scope setting. To use the FOC just remove wire.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

I use the FOC's and don't change a thing . just don't keep opening up to see how wide they are . it's the natural thing to do "but don't". you will make them open in flight. if you weaken the little lock that holds them closed. they fly like darts from my 355. and do they make a hole you can put your shoe in . good luck with your hunt and keep us posted :) :) :)
W.M.
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

I forgot to tell you that I shoot 20 BEE's with 2" blazers and luminocks. alum inserts.
W.M.
Talltines

Post by Talltines »

Thanks guys. I am excited to use this BH. I am thinking of using a TWIST TIE like you get at the grocery store to tie it shut. Will see. Thanks again.

Brian
New Matrix 405

Talltines

Post by Talltines »

SEW,

I totally agree about indexing is needed for precise accuracy. I learned that when I bought the bolt cutters I numbered my fletching 1.2.3. And rotated them till I was dead on with the bolt cutters as with my field points. It was easy and all came out dead on. It just took some time and they are all dialed in.

Thanks

Brian
New Matrix 405

Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

I sighted in with the 170 field points first and than let fly with the FOC once at 30 yards. Was within 1/2 inch so I left it at that. I read somewhere that the FOC can be fired into the 18-1 2 or 3 times before damage occurs. There must be some truth to this as the FOC that was shot into my 18-1 has since killed a buck and broke both shoulders in the process. Removal from the 18-1 was easier than a field point with the blades deployed.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I would take one FOC BH & like Steve said JB weld it.Let it cure fer a day, then you have a practice FOC.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Nap makes a 170gr practice points for $7.99 @
Broadheadquarters.com
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
cevans

Post by cevans »

SEW turned me on to "how to sight the FOC's in,,and I used his wire tie technic, total weight of the wire tieing the broadheads tight was 4 grains or less, FOC's flew like a rocket and super easy to sight in. Remember the 3 and 9 oclock fixed blade position even if you have to turn your insert after heating it a bit. Thanks a bunch SEW as it worked like a charm. Danged accurate. :D
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's

Stalking is the game! Stand Hunt too.