not seeing any deer 1hour north of toronto

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

pdeeront

not seeing any deer 1hour north of toronto

Post by pdeeront »

hey there im new on here but ive been crossbow hunting for over 20 years and this year i never see a deer where i normally hunt and usually i get a deer there within a few days or at least see some ....need some advice or something please help me need to see deer
rein1

Re: not seeing any deer 1hour north of toronto

Post by rein1 »

I'm having the same problem here in Michigan,, Only seen one doe after hunting Oct 10 days... The problem by myself is the farmers haven't picked the corn yet...
Good Luck
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

rein1 wrote:The problem by myself is the farmers haven't picked the corn yet...
I get that same problem in the little lot that I hunt. On years with corn in the adjacent fields, I might as well be hunting on a deserted island. It is even worse if the mast (acorns, etc) is poor at the same time. There just isn't any food in the woods to draw them in. Once the corn is picked, I start to see deer even if there isn't a lot of food in the woods.

Hang in there. It can be a long hard season fighting against the corn.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
XCaddis

Post by XCaddis »

Same thing all over S. Ontario from what I am hearing. Between increasing coyote populations and the bad winter its my belief that populations have been significantly impacted. I don't have any empirical evidence, but I haven't seen anything archery or rifle hunting this year. Not to mention that the number of shots we heard during rifle hunting were the fewest we have heard in 10+ years.

XCaddis
XCaddis

Excalibur Exomax
STS
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder

Guns are part of our Cultural Heritage. Please respect our diversity!!
way123hockey

Post by way123hockey »

I also (bow) hunt one hour north of Toronto. I have seen two does so far but only have a buck tag. Lots of coyotes around. They were howling close by last weekend when I was in my tree stand. There are some bucks around (have seen some on my cameras). Certainly not an over abundance of deer so you will have to put a lot of hunting time in if you want to fill your tag.
Wayne
Matrix 355 Blackout
Katana 385 BlackOps
Custom Black Vixen
Vixenmaster Strings
Munch Mounts
Wabi Calls
pdeeront

Post by pdeeront »

for some reason i thought maybe it was the area i was hunting but obviously not but thx for all your replies guys and good luck bowhunting
Boo

Post by Boo »

You aren't going to see them during the day if it is unseasonably warm.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
jackhunter1974

Post by jackhunter1974 »

I hear you!!! My brother and I hunted for most the week and haven't seen a deer at all. We also put drives into action producing nothing!!!! Most of my buddies haven't taken a deer with the shotgun, but other guys have.... Bradford, Innisfil. Very weird year!!! Bad winter, yotes, and the fact the deer have gone totally nocturnal are factors for a poor gun hunt.
Talltines

Post by Talltines »

As soon as this cold front passes you will see the deer. It'ssupposed to be coming late this up coming week llike wednesday or Thursday. I will be in the tree or blind the next day.

good luck
Scorpyd SLP 165. For now but not for long
New Matrix 405

T/C Encore's MGM 14" 445 supermag
Gary Reeder 16" 41 GNR #2 Encore
Hobie Outback for hitting the Salt.

Too many hobbies and never enough time
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

My sources tell me that all the deer in that area have slowly started to migrate down into Essex county where I hunt. All I need to do now is sit in my tree and wait! :lol:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
evaughan

Post by evaughan »

XCaddis wrote:Same thing all over S. Ontario from what I am hearing. Between increasing coyote populations and the bad winter its my belief that populations have been significantly impacted. I don't have any empirical evidence, but I haven't seen anything archery or rifle hunting this year. Not to mention that the number of shots we heard during rifle hunting were the fewest we have heard in 10+ years.

XCaddis

Interesting, for my group of bow partners and gun hunters, who hunt 80,84 & 86(North or waterloo) this season has easily been the best in the last 6. Big bucks were falling to the bows last week, and our rifle group in 84 shot deer every day the weather was decent. I've been having an excellent archery season in 80. Best since 2008 for sighting #'s according to my diary. We also had a bang-up turkey season this spring although we felt 80 & 86 were better than 84.
excal vortex w/ vari-zone
custom 2219's
BOO custom string
gobblestalker custom calls
WMU's 80,84,86
Michiganhunter

Post by Michiganhunter »

I am hunting 4 hours west of you in Michigan lol and I haven't seen any deer either. Just came in for lunch been out since 6:30 am soaked and cold not a deer in fact not a deer all week and I have been staying out all day. Big buck rubs, tracks, a scrape you name it but not a deer to be sen. Standing corn everywhere may be the problem. Going back out at 2:00 with dry clothes and stay until dark...you never know.
380 Matrix Extra
Hawke XB 30 Compact
Easton 2216 19 " 388gr... 378fps
100gr Spitfire/Wasp Jak-Hammer
Trigger Tech trigger
Steve_Guelph

Post by Steve_Guelph »

Good luck to you and remember you can dry off when your done hunting.
Micro Nightmare (Chucky)
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

I hunt 80 and during the controlled hunt this has been the worst year yet for us . I spotted one deer which I shot . Brother saw one deer only all week .
Our trail cameras have had next to no pictures .
To add to the corn angle . My deer was right full of corn . :shock:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
TPM

Post by TPM »

I think the late corn has a lot to do with it. Way too much corn still up and they're holding tight. Lots of deer spotted up north during moose week. Got a buddy and his son up at our camp right now. Had four does in two days come by but no doe tags.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger