OT: Bucks seeking in Virginia

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

OT: Bucks seeking in Virginia

Post by DuckHunt »

Saturday morning was the black powder opener in Virginia and the weather was expected to get very windy as the day progressed. I got into my stand extra stealthy more than 30 minutes before daylight. Although I bumped a few deer getting in, I had one under my stand 10 minutes after I climbed up and I could hear several walking within 50 yards. The morning started very promising. About 10 minutes before shooting light, two guys come stomping over onto the private land heading straight for me. I really didn't want to shine a light at them for risk of running off all the deer around me, but I had no choice. They ended up running off everything. :evil: Then once they finally noticed they were too close, they turned around and eventually found one of my 2-persons stands. They proceeded to climb into my stand only 125 yards away. :shock: Instead of ruining my hunt any worse, I decided to hunt it out. I saw nothing and climbed down about 9:15am to slip over closer to introduce myself to my new friends. To my surprise, they must have slipped out about the same time I climbed down. I hunted another couple hours then left for lunch.

I got back in the stand about 2:40pm with the wind starting to pick up and had a small buck slip through not ten minutes later. I watched him for a while and had decided to pass on him until he keep getting close. By the time he got into bow range, I decided it fill a tag instead of risking getting blown away any longer. Since we get 3 buck tags, the small 6pt was just a meat buck.

Smile for the trailcam selfie!

Of course, you wouldn't smile so big if you knew you could have waited a couple hours and taken this much bigger one instead. :roll: The bucks are certainly trolling for does in Virginia.

I took off work Tuesday because the wind finally calmed down. I saw one small buck seeking around 8am, then had a nicer buck chase a doe through a thicket about 9am. The nicer buck was a shooter, but it was too thick for the >80 yard shot. After a two hour break for lunch, I was back in a tree by 1:30pm. The afternoon hunt was quiet until a doe came bounding through for no reason about 3:45pm. I never did see what had her on the move. She stopped behind me and continued to browse about 75 yards away.

Finally about 4:30pm, I caught movement coming my way along the edge of the ridge skirting the thickets. A quick glance through the scope led me to conclude it could be the same buck I saw chasing a doe in the morning. When he reached his closest point at about 60 yards, the CVA dropped the hammer. He made it about 50 yards. He ended up being an average 8pt.

The bucks are certainly in seek mode here in Northern Virginia. I'm seeing more bucks than does. If you want to bag a buck, now is a great time to be in the woods. With only one tag left and a lot of season, I'll have to make the next tag count. The next tag filled will come with a taxidermy bill.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
dewy

Re: OT: Bucks seeking in Virginia

Post by dewy »

Great report duck hunt and congrats on the bucks! This past weekend was hot and heavy down here in the Blue Ridge but things seemed to have turned off the past few days. I'm hoping this cold front moving through tonight will get them moving again. It's supposed to be blowing 15 out of the NW tommorow but I'm going to give it a go in the a.m. and see what I can come up with. Next week should be interesting.
Micro 335
15" BEE's
125gr Shwackers
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!
wabi
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....well narrated story of a fine few days of hunting...and a pretty nice result for the effort!...Listen...shew some of those excess "average" bucks up north...the north will be more than willing to help out the south here! :lol:

Congrats!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Congrat's on the beauty bucks ... cool pic's and story !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Twohats

Post by Twohats »

Congrats on two great hunts.I am in Charlottesville.I hope to be out again in the morning.Got my shoulder surgery postponed till Dec 31 and now I can get some more time in.Tomorrow will be withe m 330 and after that with the pistols or hand rifles as my buddy call the GA contenders.lol.The movement here has been up and down but yesterday my buddy got two bucks on the farm.So they seem to be picking up....good luck all
bubba

Post by bubba »

Congrats!! on some fine looking deer,To bad you didn't get to see who was sharing your hunting area... were you on your own land or lease? great story..........
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
frisky

Post by frisky »

Congrats on the deer. :D :D At least you are seeing them!
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting