Woo Hoo Deer #2

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Drew

Woo Hoo Deer #2

Post by Drew »

Well the rut is definitely on in SE Michigan. The last few wks have been tough though as all the adjoining properties of where I hunt must have decided to all become lumberjacks. Chainsaws, wood chippers, you name it we have had it going on all around us. So deer have been a bit skittish and the patterns have changed dramatically.
Since last year I've had my eye on a big oak that is situated perfectly on the edge of the woods and the 40acre clover and hayfield. There is a small lake that creates a natural bottle neck and behind the oak are lowland swamps and thick scrub. Bedding, food, and funnel...basically perfect!
I took an old tree stand I had and hung it yesterday around noon and was situated by 3pm. Beautiful fall day and a very slight breeze but I didn't have too high hopes after all the ruckus it takes just to hang a tree stand. I figured it would be perfect for later this week and rifle season.
I used my doe in heat call a couple times around 4pm and had a nice visit with a grey squirrel. Happily he didnt' go all "sound the alarms" on me even though he was 8' from me. Finally it gets down to game time, that last 45min of legal shooting. I hear a long string of heavy footsteps coming towards me from the swamp and I'm just hoping some big boy decides to give me a shot. I txt my brother in law who is hunting 300yds away and has full view of my side of the field that something is coming. Little did I know that he is watching the whole show, a big bodied 6pt nose down beelining straight for me across the open field. This deer was approaching me in a narrow blind spot behind a big oak branch. I didn't even see him until he was 50yds out and then it was "holy crap" where did you come from. Got the scope on him and he was doing the hoover thing with his nose to the ground not even looking around. He almost went back into the woods but at the last minute turned and walked right over my corn bait heading to the little pond.
I gave a low schht sound to get him to stop before he got back into my blind spot. He stopped quartering towards and I let him have it. The arrow took him low just inside his left front leg and he took off full steam back across the field the way he came. He stopped and turned to look back about 150yds out, stood for 4-5 seconds and fell right over! First buck down!
The autopsy revealed that it was a perfect heart shot. It is absolutely amazing that this thing could run full tilt as far as he did with a blown out heart. So a small six point rack on a 2yr old deer from our best estimate.

One thing that I'm a little disconcerted over is that the arrow was pristine, except the broadhead and insert are gone. Arrow end is still perfect and as square as the day I made it. Now I am rethinking my use of Gorilla 5min epoxy to glue in my inserts. This was a zombie slayer shaft and I had scuffed the outside of the insert with some sandpaper and also lightly scuffed the inside of the shaft with 1200grit wet dry. This arrow also took my doe several wks ago. It is definitely retired now though. Still, I will be switching my glue for this application.

All in all though feeling very blessed with two deer for the freezer! What a great hunting season so far.

Pics to follow...
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
dewy

Re: Woo Hoo Deer #2

Post by dewy »

Way to go Drew!! I've be amazed myself at how far they can run with a hole in there heart. Strong creatures....
Micro 335
15" BEE's
125gr Shwackers
RexKay

Post by RexKay »

Congrats!!
I like things with strings.....
4 Guitars
8 Excals
1 Scorpyd
PSE Tac Elite
13 Grayling Bears
And 2 Hoyts
bubba

Post by bubba »

Congrats!! Drew.... great story had me on the edge of my seat..matrix 355 and Nikon bolt I don't see it could get any better than that.....again good job look out frezzer here I come...........P.S how many yards out was he when you stuck him??
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
Drew

Post by Drew »

Thanks guys!
Bubba, the shot was 35yds. I should of aimed a little higher but I didn't want to get into the shoulder or the sternum. I can now see why many say the front quartering shot is difficult and should be passed on if possible. I am a little down on myself the more I think about it. It was this or the walking broadside shot and I felt a little rushed for that. At least I got him to stop moving with a shht sound.

Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Congrats Drew.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Congrats on the buck ! do not fret on the shot you learned from it and that deer looks plenty dead to me.
Enjoy your fine eating buck !
I like hot melt for my inserts.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

Good job Drew, good year for you for sure!
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

x2 on hot melt
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Beauty shot!!! Can't beat the heart shot!!!
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats on the buck!!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!
wabi
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Congrats and hard to believe he went that far.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline