Crossbow Recommendation for a Newb

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

shmglsky

Crossbow Recommendation for a Newb

Post by shmglsky »

Hi, does anyone have a recommendation for a crossbow to be used only on a farm?

Preferably, I just want to shoot across the pasture and I figured a crossbow would be safer and easier to learn than a firearm.

I've decided I don't want to be helpless against coyotes. I'm looking for something that hopefully won't cost too much.
xcaliber

Re: Crossbow Recommendation for a Newb

Post by xcaliber »

Go to the trading post, get any model 175# on up, and you can shoot to 50 yards plus. I would recommend a used one to start out with, and the Mag Tip models are reasonable now, and have killed a lot of game all over the globe!

Good luck, post where you are from, and someone will most likely have something for sale near by!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

I love crossbows as much as anyone but your range will be limited to probably 40 yards or less for coyote.

At those ranges you'd be better off with a 17hmr or 22mag. Quiet, more accurate (head shots at those distances) and effective inside 50 yards also probably cheaper than a crossbow as well. If you need to go past this distance you definitely need a small caliber centrefire rifle. Many good calibers to chose .204, .222, .223, 220 swift, 22-250 etc.. price will be similar to a crossbow but ammo is cheaper than lost bolts and broad heads
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Species8472 wrote:I love crossbows as much as anyone but your range will be limited to probably 40 yards or less for coyote.

At those ranges you'd be better off with a 17hmr or 22mag. Quiet, more accurate (head shots at those distances) and effective inside 50 yards also probably cheaper than a crossbow as well. If you need to go past this distance you definitely need a small caliber centrefire rifle. Many good calibers to chose .204, .222, .223, 220 swift, 22-250 etc.. price will be similar to a crossbow but ammo is cheaper than lost bolts and broad heads
Species, I must admit I agree with you. I think this is a situation where you hit the nail on the head.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Check the Trading post on here and the used bow place on AT Look for a full sized Axiom or Vortex, they'll be cheaper w/ Matrx/Micro's out now.

I shoot a Vortex platform in a y-25 and have done well w/ it, never lost a shot due to too long of limbs .......Yhe Vortex and Y-25 have the same limbs and rail. 200#

For a 100 yd gun............CZ17 HMR w/ head shots, check legality..........
"Eze 18:21"
Boo

Post by Boo »

Species8472 wrote:I love crossbows as much as anyone but your range will be limited to probably 40 yards or less for coyote.

Yep! What Joe said!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Drew

Post by Drew »

X3

I have a .243 for coyotes. But for farm work it's probably a little overbore unless you want to use it for deer as well during rifle season. Any of the calibers Joe mentioned would excel.
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
one eye joe

Post by one eye joe »

I also recommend a rifle for your needs, but if you want a crossbow, I have an Ibex maybe we can make a deal on.
Ibex (The Terrible)
Dan's (xcalibur) strings
DCA arrows
Swacker broadheads
Tucker1

Post by Tucker1 »

I have a Axiom with everything you need to get started. Let me know. Tucker
cdwester

Post by cdwester »

I used to have a Vortex and it was a great bow but I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Excalibur products out there. Take a look at their "Arrow Performance" section under support. This will give a good idea about trajectory vs speed.