Insert Glue...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Drew

Insert Glue...

Post by Drew »

Hey fellas, looking for advice.
If you have read my post WooHoo Deer #2, you will know that I lost my whole insert and ST Mag broadhead on that deer. It was just gone but it stayed in place to blow through the deer and bust two ribs on the way out. I made these arrows myself. Shafts were BE Zombies. I glued the 92gr brass inserts in with Gorilla 5min epoxy and prior to gluing I scuffed the insert with sandpaper and did the same to the inside of the shaft. I believe I might have also cleaned the inside of the shaft with acetone. I made up quite a few arrows with this glue and have not had any other failures with fp's into a yellow jacket target. Granted that is probably a lot less harsh than blowing through a deer.

I've heard that Bohning Insert Iron is awesome from Xcalibur and will most likely go with that in the future.

Any thoughts on why I had the failure in the first place? I've always had good luck with Gorilla adhesives in the past.
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
cjonesth

Re: Insert Glue...

Post by cjonesth »

A trick I learned from Boo is to take 2 course files, lay one flat on the table and lay the brass insert on the file with the edge where you insert the FP or BH not in the file. Take the other file and lay it on the insert put pressure on the top file with your hands and roll the insert between the files, This puts a pretty good etching on the insert and will hold much better after glued. After you glue the insert in let stand straight up over night before using.
Matrix 405, Hawke Pro SR IR, TTT, Zombie arrows, NAP FOC
Bulldog 400 Hawke Pro SR IR, TTT, Zombie Arrows
Bulldog 330 Hawke Pro SR IR, Zombie Arrows
Matrix 355, Twilight DLX, Zombie Arrows
Micro Max Nightmare, Hawke XB30 Pro, TTT, Zombie arrows,
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

I use regular gorilla glue. The poly glue for wood and so forth.The inserts are there forever.
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

cjonesth wrote:A trick I learned from Boo is to take 2 course files, lay one flat on the table and lay the brass insert on the file with the edge where you insert the FP or BH not in the file. Take the other file and lay it on the insert put pressure on the top file with your hands and roll the insert between the files, This puts a pretty good etching on the insert and will hold much better after glued. After you glue the insert in let stand straight up over night before using.
That's pretty much how I did mine... roll the insert between two files to knurl the brass inserts. Then screw a field tip or something into the insert so you have something to hold so you don't touch the insert, then clean the insert and inside of the shaft thoroughly with acetone (I use q-tips for cleaning the shafts). I used extra time control Loctite Super Glue, have not had an insert come loose with a lot of broadhead shooting into a Rinehart, and after refletching and sharpening I'm still hunting with the same arrow and broadhead I killed a boar with a few weeks ago. Maybe you hit bone or something that was enough shock to break the glue bond. I guess they make good products but I'm not a fan of Gorilla glues, had problems with some long ago and it turned me off to the brand.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
bobcattrapper

Post by bobcattrapper »

Gorilla super glue.1 good size drop.But be quick putting em in and make sure it will go in quick first without.Cause if you don't do it fast your insert will not make it in fast enough before its bonded in place. :shock:
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

The Bohning Insert Iron has to set up for 72 hours, it is very good. I have had some conversations with Jason at Black Eagle, and they recommend NOT using accetone to clean bores on their arrows. Use a .30 Caliber Bore brush, and dry gun patch to remove any residue from brushing, or cutting. Roughing up the inserts is a great idea too. B.E. of course recommends their glue too.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!

Post by newbie »

ive used jb weld 2 part, two part epoxy 12 stuff and insert iron doing the file thing on my inserts cleaning with acetone and a bore brush letting dry overnight. Then letting inserts dry for at least 3 days. Never had an insert pull on any of them.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Sopchoppy

Post by Sopchoppy »

I use "Stick Fast" for inserts and vanes. Knife makers use it for handles on blades. It's the best I've used.
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

I had an insert pull out leaving a Muzzy MX3 in my target.So i'll also be looking for a 110gr insert and adhesive.
Ibex SMF-S5-TactZone-BE Zombies/blazers
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

bobcattrapper wrote:Gorilla super glue.1 good size drop.But be quick putting em in and make sure it will go in quick first without.Cause if you don't do it fast your insert will not make it in fast enough before its bonded in place. :shock:
x2

I've lost inserts at 3D using Insert Iron so I no longer use it.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.