Rage fail!!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

8ptbuk

Re: Rage fail!!!

Post by 8ptbuk »

Doesnt appear to be a crossbow Rage and I don't see a shock collar .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
galamb

Post by galamb »

I took a Rage II out of my "don't shoot em" box and had a look.

To me it appears to have deployed and the blades are now rotated (reverse) from working it's way out.

I'm not a Rage fan although I have used them - found many others with better penetration (at least on block targets).

Regardless of whether you love them or hate them (seems to be no middle ground), after the loss of a deer "regardless" of the cause, the broadhead will get blamed.

For that reason alone the OP will never trust them again so for "him" they are best relegated to the "don't shoot em" box...
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
wcbarker

Post by wcbarker »

newbie wrote:Sorry you lost a deer. In my opinion looks like the head opened and blades were drawn back as the arrow came out.
Yup that is what happen. Rage worked fine
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

That sucks! A buddy of mine from work hit an 8 point 2 Saturdays ago with a Wicked Ridge crossbow shooting three blade Muzzys. Swore the shot was good, blood ran out and nothing, no sign of him. Put what you feel confident with on the end of your arrow and get at again. Good Luck!
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

wcbarker wrote:
newbie wrote:Sorry you lost a deer. In my opinion looks like the head opened and blades were drawn back as the arrow came out.
Were we looking at the same picture? What I saw looked like the size of a closed mechanical. If the blades opened it would have been a two inch cut not a 3/4" hole at best. Just my observation. :)
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.

Post by newbie »

paulaboutform wrote:
wcbarker wrote:
Were we looking at the same picture? What I saw looked like the size of a closed mechanical. If the blades opened it would have been a two inch cut not a 3/4" hole at best. Just my observation. :)
are we looking at the same picture as i saw no picture of a hole .
The blades are forward opposite of closed no blade in the o ring. i played with mine last night after seeing the picture of the head. If there was a picture of an entrance hole as maybe i would have a different opinion but since the deer wasnt recovered but just what looks to me as a deployed rage i believe the rage worked fine. As he stated it didnt get good penetration as the deer ran the arrow worked its way out and folded the blades backwards if you fiddle with a rage thats exactly how the blades would look if this happened. The blades do not lock open. :wink:
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

this bh is one i never use .seen to many bad reports with it .right now slick tricks or ramcats
Peacemaker

Post by Peacemaker »

That Rage BH deployed. The blades folded back as it backed out of the deer. Go take a closed rage out of the box. It does not look like that. deploy it by hand, and then (carefully) push the blades forward from the rear. That photo (hopefully minus the red stuff) is what you will see.

Are the blades bent? If so, you probably hit bone, didn't get a pass through, and it backed out. If blades not bent, then you probably hit meat and it backed out.
If they blades would not have deployed and you did not hit bone or heavy meat, then you would have gotten a pass through.

I have made numerous shots on deer with my Rage 2-blades. The good shots dropped em quick, and the not-so-good shots did not.

I don't know how you your eyes are, but whenever I think I see the fletchings marking an entry point in the fraction of a second that I might see it......I am wrong.

The above opinions are those of the author blah blah blah.
wcbarker

Post by wcbarker »

I guided for bears for 20 some years, bowhunting only. was told by many clients shot was good and upon finding a live bear and finishing it off. skinning it found shot was not as good as they thought. Bottom line is if the blades on your (any mechanical) are free no matter where you hit an animal they WILL open. Because an animal cant be found is not a broadhead fault. You could shoot an animal with a field tip it would die, if hit right. No I have not done it, but my grandpa did. Could not afford broadheads.
Mister B

Post by Mister B »

Sorry about your loss. How many times have I shot a deer with different heads and not found it. And I thought I made a good shot. Lost one this year with a Slick Trick Mag. My son shot two this year with the new Rage Crossbow head. I couldn't believe the hole they made. Sooo. I bought some and tried them, got the Extreme, added the dental rubber band for peace of mind. Shot two deer with them. Awesome holes, entry and exit. With one I thought the head had opened in flight by the way the Lumenock flickered after hitting the deer. Couldn't find the deer at first. It fell behind a clump of brush. Didn't run fifty yards. Looking at head when I found the arrow I swore and thought it was faulty. It wasn't. Just because you shoot and think you made a good hit doesn't mean you have the meat in the freezer. Spit happens. I wish you could find the deer even now just for your own peace of mind. Don't shoot any head or bow you don't have confidence in. I sympathize and emphasize. Welcome to the world of experienced bow hunters. Just don't let this incident discourage you from continuing to hunt. Cheers Wayne
Micro nightmare (Mini Pearl)
Matrix 355 (the Shrike)
Matrix 330 (the Mini-Mag)
Rage Extreme & slick trick mag BH
Diablo arrows with 2"blazers and Laser II and
BE executioners with 3" Duravanes
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Our goal should always be to get a pass through. It seems to me though that when I watch many hunting shows where they are using Rage's that many times the arrow is stuck in the deer as it runs off. A 2" blade takes a lot of momentum to deploy it and have the arrow continue on. Were you using a light arrow or something heavier?
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
wcbarker

Post by wcbarker »

I have always wondered on this pass through thing. Yes 2 holes are better than one. But would it not be good to have something in there cutting and moving around as the animal waked or run. I think this would mess them up pretty bad or make them lay down sooner. Just a thought
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

An arrow is a hemorrhaging weapon. It does its damage by cutting tissue and creating blood loss. As such you achieve the maximum damage by cutting the largest path = pass through. A benefit of this is two holes for a better blood trail. Also, you want very very sharp blades because they cause less tissue trauma as they cut. This slows down the body's response to the hit. The brain/nerves don't realize there is a problem so the clotting mechanism (sending platelets to the wound area) starts much later, meaning they bleed more. Think about a time when you cut your self with something very sharp versus something not so sharp. One bleeds for a long time, right? I'm not sure how much damage an arrow staying in the animal would do. Broad heads are designed to cut while the arrow is moving forward. And most mech heads would just have blades flopping around anyway, not really doing much. If you didn't hit vitals on the initial shot, I doubt an arrow staying in would complete the job. For me, a BH through both lungs = short blood trail, like about 50 yards.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
gregs

Post by gregs »

I tried the Rage when they first came out and we never sold them in our archery shop. I know use Grim Reapers and have way more confidence in them.
wcbarker

Post by wcbarker »

nchunterkw wrote:An arrow is a hemorrhaging weapon. It does its damage by cutting tissue and creating blood loss. As such you achieve the maximum damage by cutting the largest path = pass through. A benefit of this is two holes for a better blood trail. Also, you want very very sharp blades because they cause less tissue trauma as they cut. This slows down the body's response to the hit. The brain/nerves don't realize there is a problem so the clotting mechanism (sending platelets to the wound area) starts much later, meaning they bleed more. Think about a time when you cut your self with something very sharp versus something not so sharp. One bleeds for a long time, right? I'm not sure how much damage an arrow staying in the animal would do. Broad heads are designed to cut while the arrow is moving forward. And most mech heads would just have blades flopping around anyway, not really doing much. If you didn't hit vitals on the initial shot, I doubt an arrow staying in would complete the job. For me, a BH through both lungs = short blood trail, like about 50 yards.
Does make very good point.