Dental band on NAP Spitfire Broadhead ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gtonini

Dental band on NAP Spitfire Broadhead ?

Post by gtonini »

Hi

Just wondering if anyone uses dental bands on nap spitfires and if so what size band do you use ? Thanks Gary
Rev X
Boo String
Rev X arrows
Swacker 150 grain
3x9 leuopold scope
amythntr

Re: Dental band on NAP Spitfire Broadhead ?

Post by amythntr »

...are you referring to older Spitfires that the "shim" has been lost or removed?

My Spitfires have the "shim" and stay closed on their own not needing any "dental work" at all...

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
cdwester

Post by cdwester »

I just got a 405 and want to shoot NAP FOCs out of it. Was thinking the same thing about the dental bands but I haven't tried them out yet. I'll let you know if I have issues and think they need them.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....are you guys stating that you do not believe a Spitfire out of the box stays closed until it hits the game?

In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Tom

Post by Tom »

When I first researched the spitfire heads, I sent an e-mail to the company about the head. I got a very detailed response on the retaining clips and their tests. If I am remembering correctly, the spitfire was tested up too 450 fps (with high speed cameras) without opening early. They also froze the head in ice and in mud and the head still opened properly.

But they did say that the clips should not be used more then 5 times which is why they developed the pratice blades. From experance, the heads with practice blades have same POI as regular heads have.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Tom wrote:When I first researched the spitfire heads, I sent an e-mail to the company about the head. I got a very detailed response on the retaining clips and their tests. If I am remembering correctly, the spitfire was tested up too 450 fps (with high speed cameras) without opening early. They also froze the head in ice and in mud and the head still opened properly.

But they did say that the clips should not be used more then 5 times which is why they developed the pratice blades. From experance, the heads with practice blades have same POI as regular heads have.

Tom

Great Piece of information Tom...I love mine!

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I bind my mechs with 1/4", medium, orto bands just to be sure. One of my favorite heads -Grim Reaper Whitetail Special- has one 'easy open' blade on each of the three heads I tested. Using the orthos give me piece of mind.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

amythntr wrote:
My Spitfires have the "shim" and stay closed on their own not needing any "dental work" at all...

x2........I have shot spitfires for most of my 15 years of crossbow hunting and they have always worked well. first was a bow with training wheels :) then a vortex both with regular spitfires and most recently a m355 with the spitfire maxx
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvesteD
REVX
matrix 355
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
SWAT BROADHEADS
Boo string
Dagriz knife
maple

Post by maple »

I've used the NAP Spitfire 150 grain mech heads for years.

Once, when I inexplicably missed a deer, I questioned whether the head had opened prematurely. (Couldn't a been my fault). Without further inquiry I put an orthodontic band on my heads.

With them, I found that when you put an arrow through a deer, the band rolls all the way down the shaft and damages the vanes rendering it useless. I now tie a small piece of cotton thread around the closed head which theoretically breaks on impact.

This is based on pure speculation and I wonder if it's all simply unnecessary.

I have no proof either way.
Don't look at the antlers!! And don't look him in the eye!!

2002 Exomag
Custom wood stock with a lot of notches in it
Big John arrows
Loving every minute of it.
The only thing better than a dog, is two dogs.

Maple
Bigship

Post by Bigship »

I disassemble and inspect the retention clip every time I shoot. If the dimple in the clip is deformed, you need to replace it. It's also a good time to dress the blades. They will not open prematurely on any bow that I shoot if you take these steps. (Scorpyd Orion 150, and Micro 335 are my bows that accelerate the arrow at max speed, and no early openings.)