Deer Shoulders ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Sopchoppy

Re: Deer Shoulders ?

Post by Sopchoppy »

I do not shoot at the shoulder with gun or bow. Gun boogers up too much meat. I've only hit one in the shoulder with the Vortex and it cut through both shoulder blades. Lots of bloodshot meat.
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
rayman

Post by rayman »

I try to have entry and/or exit just behind shoulder with arrows for better chance of pass through and good blood trail.

Must go against grain on this one for rifle shot. More concerned about making good shot for easy recovery than messing up the shoulders.
wabi wrote:Only when I'm using 300 grains of lead.
300 grains? Good grief Wabi are you shooting a .338 Lapua? :)
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Mike I shoot them in the top of the shoulders when gun hunting normally dropping them in their tracks. I won't hesitate with our small deer to shoot one there with my Excal if thats the only shot I have my arrows with a Grizztrick punched right through them.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
Backstraps

Post by Backstraps »

Drew wrote: The biggest questions is will these large single blade heads fly true at crossbow speeds.
This is one of those situation it would be important to have some extra helical on your vanes. Get that arrow spinning as quick as you can and I would think it would fly true for you. Definitely some interesting information about the wound channels.
Matrix Grizzly
Vixenmaster strings
100 gr. Magnus Heads
BEE .001
AAE Max Stealth Vanes
grouse

Post by grouse »

I shot a button buck a couple of weeks ago that was close to my stand and at a steep angle. The arrow entered in his spine and exited out of his shoulder. He dropped in his tracks but seemed to suffer way too much before I could get down and finish him off. It made the experience less satisfying than it should have been. My only other time to shoulder shoot a deer with archery equipment was years ago with a recurve bow. That deer (hit through both shoulders) also fell in it's tracks and also seemed to suffer until I could get down and dispatch it. Both encounters disturbed me and I would like to never do that again.
axiom
350 SE