What to eat while in Tree Stand

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Cole_Rose

What to eat while in Tree Stand

Post by Cole_Rose »

I'll be doing my first ever tree stand hunt with Crossbow. What kind of foods should I bring that don't alert the deer, or better yet may attract them?
amythntr

Re: What to eat while in Tree Stand

Post by amythntr »

Cole_Rose wrote:I'll be doing my first ever tree stand hunt with Crossbow. What kind of foods should I bring that don't alert the deer, or better yet may attract them?
....Proscioutto and Mozzarella with olive oil and hot peppers on a brick oven italian roll...drives them wild....I think...but then when I eat one who cares about hunting! :lol: :lol: :lol:

...deer are curious animals and I know of many guys that don't change any habits including smoking in their stand and have deer come right under their stand and they drop butts on their back....

...tell you right now...i wouldn't be dropping any of my sandwich on them!

....would like to hear what others say....

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

I have the mini mars bars .
Quick pick me up / bite size.
Last edited by colouredchameleon on Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fergie

Post by fergie »

I can't help myself and always bring a "few" rice krispies squares in the stand...... I buy the bulk 54 bar boxes from Costco and just can't stop eating them during hunting season and usually only sneak a few a year from the kids. :shock:
matrix 380 blackout "Reaper", nchunterkw flemish string, triggertech single stage, matrix munch mount, Rhinehart Block, 18" zombie slayers c/o big john
fully dressed in drstirrup is the "reaper"
galamb

Post by galamb »

I don't think that deer are anywhere near as "spooky" as the companies trying to sell you concealment products would have you believe.

Yes, they are in tune to "movement", but being elevated certainly helps there.

Especially in the early season I try and spend all day in the stand so I do bring "lunch".

Now I have never crunched on chips or crackers etc (not because I think it will spook deer, but because you can't hear a deer coming in with crunching noise in your head :) ), but always have a thermos of coffee, a couple of sandwiches etc.

And to the earlier comment. Of the last three deer that I shot (less than 25 yards), two of them wandered in "after" I had pretty much gave up for the morning and was sitting back, bow on the hook, drinking a coffee and smoking a cigarette (so much for totally blocking all human scent).
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
bubba

Post by bubba »

Me it's lance peanut butter cheese crackers... And once in awhile I take a dip of grizzly. and a empty plastic jar with a lid for my spit.... Use to just spit when I thought the coast was clear...but a few years back I nearly spit on a fork bucks back,,,, so now I use the jar....Crackers and dip..........
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Brown bag lunch, paper bag so you can crunch it up after you eat. Sounds like a deer scraping! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Cole_Rose

Post by Cole_Rose »

Oh my that is too funny Anthony, thanks for the laugh. I hope this doesn't come back to haunt me when I'm in the stand and burst out laughing!!!
Last edited by Cole_Rose on Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

I like granola bars, fruit bars, raisins, etc. I take them out of the wrappers beforehand and put a couple in a ziploc bag. I don't know if it's ever scared a deer off but those crinkly wrappers seem absurdly loud in the stand.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
johnnyo

Post by johnnyo »

Clif bars
Matrix 330
Diablo arrows
Boltcutter broadheads
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

Apple, PB crackers & water.
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Kegbelly wrote:I like granola bars, fruit bars, raisins, etc. I take them out of the wrappers beforehand and put a couple in a ziploc bag. I don't know if it's ever scared a deer off but those crinkly wrappers seem absurdly loud in the stand.

My old friend Joe, (may he rest in peace...dropped dead in the Cardiologist office) used to put all of his food in a ziploc bag...now we spot at Quik-Chek and they wrap their sandwiches up to withstand a 100mph wind....

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
bobcattrapper

Post by bobcattrapper »

candy bars,gronala bars for snacks usually.Just sounds like a squirrel to em probably.I drink a little water if I need to.I just pee off my stand when I need to.I think it helps attract the deer too. :mrgreen:
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

Venison jerky and venison pepperettes to eat.

Thermos of coffee to drink.

Big fat cuban cigar to enjoy and gauge wind direction.

If I wasn't paranoid about putting a bolt into my feet the coffee would be laced with baileys or alternatively replaced with a flask of scotch.

Before anyone asks this is seriously my routine and has not affected ability to take deer yet (at least I don't think it has - 18 deer in the last 5 years with the crossbow all following the above routine)
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
canoe13

Post by canoe13 »

I like pop tarts, pepperoni slices and cheese sticks, dark chocolate chips , and water when I sit all day on stand. Which I will be doing tomorrow - OPENING DAY of rifle season in western New York. Always a lot of action. And I need some action , only got out 3 times ( 2 week crossbow season)with the Matrix 310 and saw not one deer.
Mag Air
Sig Sauer Romeo 5
Excalibur Quills
Tooth of the Arrow broadheads
Vixenmaster strings