vixen two vs axiom vs ibex

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

archerytho

vixen two vs axiom vs ibex

Post by archerytho »

Hello I want to buy a target crossbow, I am limited to 200 pounds so these are my options (and I do not want a apex).
Do you have any suggestions and yes I realise the ibex is essentially a axiom with a different grip.
I like the look of the ibex but want some suggestions.

Thanks
Excalibur Axiom
Leupold VX1 2-7 33mm
HHA Optimiser
xcaliber

Re: vixen two vs axiom vs ibex

Post by xcaliber »

I had an Ibex SMF and had nothing bad to say about it. Very accurate, just like all Excals. Any of those will work well for you.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Pasidewinder

Post by Pasidewinder »

I purchased an axiom at the beginning of October and LOVE it! The draw weight is very manageable, and it is very smooth to cock with the supplied cocking rope.

As far as accuracy, I've seen nothing like it! This bow WILL put arrows in the same hole if you do your part and has more than enough power should you ever decide to hunt with it. In my opinion Excalibur would not be out of line if they sold them for a little more money, but I am glad that they realise that there are people out there that just cannot spend 1000.00 dollars or more on a crossbow for whatever reason, but still need a bulletproof low maintenance crossbow.

In MY opinion this is the best deal out there as far as crossbows go. As far as the Ibex and the axiom, try to pick them up and get a feel for both stocks, some people like the thumbhole stocks. But either way I don't believe you can go wrong with any Excalibur.
canoe13

Post by canoe13 »

I have owned an Ibex and a Vortex. Both have the thumbhole stock but I prefer the regular stock of the Axiom or Phoenix. It gives me a more consistent grip and trigger feel plus higher comb for better scope to eye alignment. But see what works best for you. Have fun shooting. Definitely add the Excalibur cheekrest for best results.
Mag Air
Sig Sauer Romeo 5
Excalibur Quills
Tooth of the Arrow broadheads
Vixenmaster strings
Peacemaker

Post by Peacemaker »

I sent you a PM.
bubba

Post by bubba »

I own the Ibex... been real pleased with it... Shoots straight and hits hard... Excalibur is the best way to go.....
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
galamb

Post by galamb »

I have been shooting the Vixen II for a few years now - a couple thousand shots at my own range and it's also my deer hunting bow.

It's stock is shorter than either of the other two you note and is often remarked upon as being a woman's or youth bow because of it's lower draw weight and shorter length of pull.

I'm not a "little guy" - I go 6'1" tall/200 lbs and my custom rifles have lengths of pull between 14 1/2" and 15" and can say I love shooting this bow.

My hunting buddy shoots an Axiom and I find it "gangly" in comparison.

So if it was me I would toss the Axiom and narrow it down to the Ibex (I do like the thumbhole - a fair trade off for the overall size) or the Vixen II.

Do keep in mind (if it matters to you) that the Vix has the aluminum rail and the Axiom/Ibex has the plastic rail (name it whatever you like - it's plastic)

I don't regret owning the Vix at all and in all honesty if I toasted it somehow it I would probably replace it with the same model. The Matrix 310 might be the only other Excal offering that would be in the running for me...
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
archerytho

Post by archerytho »

Thanks everyone for the information.
Ive been stuck between the axiom and ibex still dont know.

I know the axiom has a trigger with less travel. Is this important?

I dont think I can try either one so the decision needs to be right.

however I do like the idea of the shorter length on the ibex.
Excalibur Axiom
Leupold VX1 2-7 33mm
HHA Optimiser
bubba

Post by bubba »

As far as the trigger goes. there really shouldn't be any difference as for the axiom,ibex or any non matrix bows... at least that is what I've read... now I'm not to sure about the matrix series... Should all be the same.... And after a few shots you kinda get a better feeling for it. Unless it's a factory defect which I think would be rare............................
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)