Help me choose an arrow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

archerytho

Help me choose an arrow

Post by archerytho »

I will soon be getting a crossbow. Most likely a ibex but maybe a axiom or a vixen 2.
I like the look of the excalibur firebolts but im not sure of the actual point size. (11/32 tread size?)

What other options do I have I want a lighter arrow, because will be used for target shooting.
Excalibur Axiom
Leupold VX1 2-7 33mm
HHA Optimiser
galamb

Re: Help me choose an arrow

Post by galamb »

The firebolts are pretty light. They are just an Easton Carbon Power (C2) with different stickers and the Excalibur inserts.

I just put the caliper on one and the outside diameter is 11/32".

If I'm remembering correctly, as they come, without a tip they weigh in at 267 grains (the Eastons are 11 grains heavier due to the different insert/nock).

Because of the minimum weight requirements of the bows, 350 with the Ibex/axiom and 325 with the Vixen II, if you are looking for the absolute lightest set-up the Vix shooting firebolts with 60 grain points (TopHat Apex tip) would come in at 327 grains (with this tip I made 282 fps @ 5' from the muzzle - the absolute "fastest" combo I could get from the Vix - never could get up to the advertised 285 fps and absolutely would not go below a 325 grain bolt weight "just to see if I could")

The Vix is a little slower out of the gate than the other two. You could match them with an 85 grain tip (available from Saunders, TopHat and GoldTip to name 3) giving you a finished bolt @ 352 grains.

(did some horsing around with an Axiom SMF and a 90 grain tip (lightest I had that would keep it over 350 grains) and got "nowhere near" the advertised 305 fps - to be fair it had the factory Excel string, but she didn't crack the mid 290's)

Just be aware that lightest/fastest arrows are the most susceptible to shooting "poorly" unless you are absolutely perfectly tuned - they are NOT forgiving.

And don't forget you will have to replace the factory string for a flemish version (and the factory available (optional) flemish dyna-flight is a decent string)

But do give them a try if that's the route you want to go. I think if you end up doing some experimenting you will find that an arrow with greater FOC being 30-40 grains heavier than what you are considering will group "consistently" better than the superlight speed demons.

I've been there - tried so many combinations of shafts, inserts, weights, nocks, fletching etc that I have to look through notes to remember even half of them. And while it was fun, at the end of the day an off the shelf GoldTip II shoots as well or better than anything I concocted in my shop.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Have used GT's, OK, but recently went with Black Eagel Executioners. Awesome!!!
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
archerytho

Post by archerytho »

Oh somehow I forgot to mention that I want a light arrow but not very light.
If I get the vixen 2 ill use the firebolts.
If I get the axiom or the ibex ill use gold tip laser 2.

I will be doing target archery so if I get the vixen 2 with the 357 fire bolts will I reach 50/60 meters or would the Golt tips with more foc work better
Excalibur Axiom
Leupold VX1 2-7 33mm
HHA Optimiser
Fullquiver

Post by Fullquiver »

I shoot Easton 2219's out of my Axiom and have had the very best of luck and accuracy out of them.... The price is great and they are very tough don't let anyone fool you. I have one that has been shot through 4 deer and is still my go to arrow for the next hunt... I is still as straight as the day it was made... They only have ever bent for me when I hit something very hard like metal or rocks...

They may not be the fastest but for target shooting they will be very hard to beat.. I shoot very tight groups with these arrows and unless you have spine matched carbon arrows I will say you will be very lucky or hard pressed to find arrows that will shoot tighter groups.. IMO
A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they shall never sit.
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Cossack wrote:Have used GT's, OK, but recently went with Black Eagel Executioners. Awesome!!!
If you're shooting 50/60 meters get the best arrow that you can and right now the .001 Black Eagle Executioners are probably the best. If you need to lighten it up some for target shooting just use a lighter point such as an 85 gr.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

IMO, you'll get great accuracy, especially at longer ranges from Black Eagle Zombies. Search paulaboutform's posts on long range shooting. I doubt you'd get results like those with GT's or Easton arrows, but I wouldn't know because I don't shoot those brands.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

BE Executioners with 110gr inserts and 2" blazers shoot great out of my Ibex with 100gr heads.Total weight with fp/bh is 420gr-ish.I purchased mine from Big John but I see Wyverns have a similar recipe. http://www.wyverncreations.com/index.ph ... de8b53ac79
Ibex SMF-S5-TactZone-BE Zombies/blazers
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.