Excalibur Quill

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Excalibur Quill

Post by Boo »

I'm happy to report that I am very happy with the Quill arrows that come with the new Micro.
I bought 150 gr Slick Tricks because I assumed that that weight would be necessary to achieve the level of accuracy that I want. At the bench yesterday I thought I'd try some 125 gr Griz Tricks first and I was pleasantly suprised! Although it was a bit windy and drizzling I got a little less than 2" at 40 yards! I've never been a fan of Excalibur's arrows. Although they've always been capable of one minute of deer, I want something that I can whack a turkey at 50 yards and it looks like the Quills will do quite well!
I'm thinking that in better weather I'll be at less than 2" at 50 yards.
Does anyone else have input on their experiences with the Quills?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
amythntr

Re: Excalibur Quill

Post by amythntr »

Boo wrote:I'm happy to report that I am very happy with the Quill arrows that come with the new Micro.
I bought 150 gr Slick Tricks because I assumed that that weight would be necessary to achieve the level of accuracy that I want. At the bench yesterday I thought I'd try some 125 gr Griz Tricks first and I was pleasantly suprised! Although it was a bit windy and drizzling I got a little less than 2" at 40 yards! I've never been a fan of Excalibur's arrows. Although they've always been capable of one minute of deer, I want something that I can whack a turkey at 50 yards and it looks like the Quills will do quite well!

Come on you are killing us Don...we all want to cut our "arras" down to 8" with various accessories hanging off of the back and front to make these things fly at warp speed, turn corners and find their mark each and every time...

....Its great to see that someone as sensible as you has taken taken the time to use, try and put the stock arrows to the test....boy did you take the wind out of my sails....I just wish I had the wherewithal to just walk outside my house or work and practice...

Great to know the results you have achieved...my question is, "I thought the "Quills" were "Diablos" cut two inches shorter"....Is this not the case?

...Another question I do have is do you know the inside diameter if one was to change the aluminum nock to a lighted nock?( you see already I cannot accept not making changes :lol: :lol: )...

Again thanks Don for shedding some light with regard to the new Quills...

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

I'm going to ask a stupid question: what's with the term "quills"? I don't see that word anywhere in the description for the Micro yet it's popping up more and more in posts describing the long pointy things previously known as arrows lol. Just wondering... :D
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Boo

Post by Boo »

John, they just haven't put the Quill in the catalogue yet. The arrows for the Micro are labelled "Quill" and is the usual Easton C2.
Turtleman

Post by Turtleman »

Correct me if i am wrong are people on this forum cutting down longer bolts to get the required length bolts? Maybe taking the 20" laser II or other to cut to 18" or now 16" for the new micro series. Just thought i would ask as it seems to be mentioned a little here and there. Sorry if this is a stupid question maybe Don or someone else can shed light on it for me. :?:
Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today!
cjonesth

Post by cjonesth »

The new Micro comes with 4 quills at 16.5", I cut mine down to 15.5" as I didn't want my broadhead sticking out past the stirrup. I know some have gone shorter to 15, personal preference. I have tested mine out to 30 yards and it is dead on, haven't tested an longer yardages due to weather. Even though I cut them down I still maintain a 370 gr. quill.
Matrix 405, Hawke Pro SR IR, TTT, Zombie arrows, NAP FOC
Bulldog 400 Hawke Pro SR IR, TTT, Zombie Arrows
Bulldog 330 Hawke Pro SR IR, Zombie Arrows
Matrix 355, Twilight DLX, Zombie Arrows
Micro Max Nightmare, Hawke XB30 Pro, TTT, Zombie arrows,
Boo

Post by Boo »

Turtleman wrote:Correct me if i am wrong are people on this forum cutting down longer bolts to get the required length bolts? Maybe taking the 20" laser II or other to cut to 18" or now 16" for the new micro series. Just thought i would ask as it seems to be mentioned a little here and there. Sorry if this is a stupid question maybe Don or someone else can shed light on it for me. :?:
I don't know who is doing it, but you will do ok to cut any arrow shorter. If you want to manipulate your FOC then cut at the front and use a different insert or just cut at the rear and refletch.
Just be cognisant of the insert weight, there are variations.
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

Boo wrote:I'm happy to report that I am very happy with the Quill arrows that come with the new Micro.
Send that little bugger to me and I will test so many Quills the porcupines will be jealous :wink:
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
JR

Post by JR »

I got the same thing Boo. Used the quills "as-is", 16.5" using 125gr. Montecs. Offhand and standing (shooting sling) was getting avg groups of 2" with this setupout to 40 yards. I was going to use my 125gr rage 3 blades but wondered if they were going to open prematurely due to the high initial inertia of the xbow. 325-330 fps coming off of a 10" power stroke is alot of energy! I'll be doing some indoor paper testing after the season is over and see whick one of my mech's will stay closed using craft paper set up about 6' in front of my target bag.

-JR
Stock Exomax and now a Micro 335. :)
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a263/thebuckhunter/smiley_561gun.gif[/img]
wolv1001

Post by wolv1001 »

I totally agree with Don on this one,just sent back some gold tip laser with brass inserts and the drop compared to the stock quills was very noticeable.The stock quills work great the way they are.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Could it be that the shorter arrows get the straighter they get?
wabi
Boo

Post by Boo »

wabi wrote:Could it be that the shorter arrows get the straighter they get?
Absolutely Mike. Spine increase as well.
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

Hey Boo .... Nice to see u finally slipped away from the job for some fun time . Been waiting for your micro report ! :mrgreen:
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

...A search of Lumenok's website indicate that the Firebolt (only one listed) ID is .3015 and they have a Lumenok for that size...the ZS and BEE's come in at .301 and they have been recommending the GTF3 (3pk) .300 for those....

....the question now becomes what to do or what do people suggest for the Ignitors which only come in the .300 size...is sanding down the insert an option and would you suggest to?....I think I have it backwards...if the Ignitors are .300 and the Lumenoks for the Firebolt/Diablos/Quills are .3015...would they fit?

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings