Need help making deer summer sausage.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

RonnieM

Need help making deer summer sausage.

Post by RonnieM »

I was going to make some deer summer sausage. I have everything to do it but the castings. I was going to get that tomorrow. Anyways, how can I cure it instead of a smoker, I don't have one. Can I do it in the oven? Recipes,
? Advice? Tips? I. Make my own breakfast sausage and do my own processing. It's time for the summer sausage now. Thanks folks
"He is not a fool to gives the things he cannot keep, to gain the things which he cannot lose"
flightattendant100

Re: Need help making deer summer sausage.

Post by flightattendant100 »

I've made jerky in the oven. Recipe I had said to put oven on lowest temp setting (140-160 deg.) and leave the door cracked and a fan set up off to side to blow air thru cracked oven door. It worked fine for the jerky, never tried any summer sausage. Good luck and let us know.
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
wabi

Post by wabi »

Electric roasting pan. :wink:
wabi
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I'm afraid I can't offer you any help with making your summer sausage but if you need someone to sample it for you I'd be more than happy to!! :lol:

Seriously though I hope it turns out well for you. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Carutht

Post by Carutht »

I have been making venison summer sausage for years. For me it is a pain.
(but worth it)
This is what I do. Day one: Grind 20# of venison through a 1/4" grinder plate. Grind 5# of Boston Butt through a 1/4" grinder plate. Mix the ground meat by hand. (I mix in a meat lug) Mix up Legg's or your favorite brand summer sausage seasoning with water (per instructions) and Legg Cure (Sodium Nitrite) 1oz per 25# of meat.
Pour the seasoned mixture over the 25# of ground meat and mix by hand until tacky. Seal the meat and leave in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
Day 2: Unseal the summer sausage and turn the lug upside down. Cut the sausage in rectangles that will fit into the grinder. Regrind with a 1/8" plate. At this point you can stuff your casings at the same time you regrind if you have a grinder that can take it. If not just grind the second time and put the meat into a stuffer or stuff with the grinder with the grinder plate and cutter removed and a stuffing plate installed. With my #12 grinder it is faster to do it this way. (the meat has gone through the grinder three times) Put your stuffed casings in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Day 3: Smoke/cook your summer sausage. I have smoked them in a smoker and in a large grill with indirect heat. When I used the grill I finished them in the oven at 170 degrees until I had an internal temperature of 155. I use a temp probe. This can easily be an all day affair. Just be careful with the sodium nitrate and use the correct amount if doing less than 25#.
Good luck with your adventure.

TC
dewy

Post by dewy »

Good stuff there Caruth. Thanks for sharing
Micro 335
15" BEE's
125gr Shwackers
RonnieM

Post by RonnieM »

Thanks
"He is not a fool to gives the things he cannot keep, to gain the things which he cannot lose"
RonnieM

Post by RonnieM »

I don't have a smoker do I was going to use my oven. What temp should I go with?
leonk

Post by leonk »

I thought summer sausage is fermented, i.e. hung in moist place for a while... Not a simple process with temp and humidity control required and room to grow wrong bacteria (botulism).