Another question about shoot through mesh

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

hockeyfodder

Another question about shoot through mesh

Post by hockeyfodder »

Does the mesh have to be pulled tight or does it matter?
Mine is somewhat loose but I just wondered if it would shoot the same loose or tight.
paulaboutform

Re: Another question about shoot through mesh

Post by paulaboutform »

Tight is a must, from the directions.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Dand

Post by Dand »

Cut a section of the mesh out and shoot through the hole.... No worries. DanD
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

Can I ask why anyone would even want to do this? Wear dark colours to match inside of blind and limit movement. I've been hunting out of pop ups since Butch and the boys at Double Bull started selling blinds 20+ years ago.

I arrow turkeys with my long bow out of blinds and shoot deer, sure if you move a lot they will figure you out but by then most of the time it's too late for them!

So I just wonder why anyone would want to handicap themselves in such way as not only does this mess with arrow flight it limits one's vision as well (especially in low light)
hockeyfodder

Post by hockeyfodder »

Hunt it wrote:Can I ask why anyone would even want to do this? Wear dark colours to match inside of blind and limit movement. I've been hunting out of pop ups since Butch and the boys at Double Bull started selling blinds 20+ years ago.

I arrow turkeys with my long bow out of blinds and shoot deer, sure if you move a lot they will figure you out but by then most of the time it's too late for them!

So I just wonder why anyone would want to handicap themselves in such way as not only does this mess with arrow flight it limits one's vision as well (especially in low light)
You're certainly right about the low light conditions. I've always left it open but others on forum say they've shot through it with no change in flight, so thought I might try.
I think I'll just go back to leaving it open and brushing tent in.
JUDGE

Post by JUDGE »

I have always shot through the mesh , have not had a problem yet.
The last deer I shout , last week was at 40 yards , clean kill.
Retired from the Working World

MICRO 355
50 CAL Traditions Pursuit
Mosburg 100ATR 30-06
Henry Lever 22lr
Mosburg 500
Savage 243
wabi

Post by wabi »

Hunt it wrote:Can I ask why anyone would even want to do this? Wear dark colours to match inside of blind and limit movement. I've been hunting out of pop ups since Butch and the boys at Double Bull started selling blinds 20+ years ago.

I usually take the mesh off the windows and wear dark clothes. Blend in, move slowly, and stay back as far as possible from the window and you don't need the mesh.
I've had deer and turkey almost stick their heads inside the blind, look things over, and then walk off without spooking. Just remain still and they don't panic.
wabi
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Windows in for me.
If I am in a blind it is because it is crappy weather or I have a kid or two with me. Screens are a must for those reasons.
As far as shooting through them, I did extensive testing a few years ago, all with Slick Tricks.
I shot through loose mesh (just connected in the corners), wet mesh.. I even soaked a couple and froze them solid before sending a Slick through them.
I did all my testing at 40 yards. Nothing I could do would change the POI. The only thing you have to watch for is that the arrow completely clears the riser before contacting the screen. I don't mean the arrows were "close", I mean the bow shot as though there was no screen.
I don't see the purpose of being in a blind if it has no screens..
I do have a 4 square inch "X" in the center of each screen to slip a shotgun barrel through though.
I replaced the velcro on 2 of the windows with mini rare earth magnets to stop that awful sound if I do need to get the screen off in a hurry, or even just for the extra air.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

I like to leave my windows open when I am not in the blind and I leave a black sweat shirt in there and put it on when I get in . they never know I am in there. and sit as far back as I can. :)
W.M.
hockeyfodder

Post by hockeyfodder »

Thanks for all the input.
My son proved to me that shooting through the mesh is indeed OK.
He put a bolt through the mesh and a beauty doe tonight just after 5pm.
It was and adventurous recovery as we got on the wrong tracks and followed them for 45 minutes in the snow.
Just as we were going to give up with no blood detected we spotted a track with blood in it.
Don't ask me why but when we started to track in the fluffy snow we went the wrong way.
We eventually realized this and went back and went the other way.
We found her and then the work started.
I'm 61 and we had to take her through slash, brush and some standing corn.
We had a deer carrier but still if you don't hear from me for a couple of days you'll know why. I'm pooched.
I'm happy and proud of my son but I can't help but think he might be trying to get to his inheritence early. LOL.
Anyways off to bed after getting it to the butcher and skinned.
ch312

Post by ch312 »

Pydpiper wrote:Windows in for me.
If I am in a blind it is because it is crappy weather or I have a kid or two with me. Screens are a must for those reasons.
As far as shooting through them, I did extensive testing a few years ago, all with Slick Tricks.
I shot through loose mesh (just connected in the corners), wet mesh.. I even soaked a couple and froze them solid before sending a Slick through them.
I did all my testing at 40 yards. Nothing I could do would change the POI. The only thing you have to watch for is that the arrow completely clears the riser before contacting the screen. I don't mean the arrows were "close", I mean the bow shot as though there was no screen.
I don't see the purpose of being in a blind if it has no screens..
I do have a 4 square inch "X" in the center of each screen to slip a shotgun barrel through though.
I replaced the velcro on 2 of the windows with mini rare earth magnets to stop that awful sound if I do need to get the screen off in a hurry, or even just for the extra air.
Thanks for the insight. I asked what the purpose is of the screen in another thread and you've given me two reasons: bad weather and youngsters.